Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skrip Blue Replacement?

Thanks

Default Skrip Blue Replacement?

Now that Sheaffer Scrip is dead, what is the closest blue to Sheaffer’s Washable Blue? I don’t generally use blue ink, and couldn’t find anything in my small stock that came close.

Thanks

Default Re: Skrip Blue Replacement?

Quink blue(permanent blue, not washable) is close to my eyes, although not the easiest to find if you're in the US

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

This isn't a scientific or comprehensive survey, but I pulled out my swatch cards to see what was next to the Sheaffer. I put the swatches in order of inks, by color and going from light to dark, and I probably have 30-40 blues. The next closest I have is Akkerman Delftes Blauw (Delft Blue), a very well-behaved, vintage looking blue, just the tiniest bit darker than the Sheaffer. After that is Monteverde Malibu Blue.

If Chrissy sees this, she might have some other ideas. If I were you, I would look online at some of the dealer and order a couple of samples to try first. Vanness Pen Co has (in the US) the largest selection of inks, and they do samples. Good luck!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

SlowMovingTarget (February 5th, 2023), welch (August 10th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 806 Posts

Take a look at Montblanc Royal blue and Waterman Serenity blue.

Thanks

I don`t know how well the basic blue inks compare to Scheaffer`s Washable blue, like Quink or Pelikan 4001. I like blue-black too. I have looked into archive quality inks and yet not tried many of them; one I have noted down is de Atramentis Document Blue, it might be an alternative. It is both for fountain pen and dip pen. I will likely order a couple of the colors in their document line in the near future, but as mentioned I don`t have first hand experience on them yet. They look promising though. I never get colors right from my phone or computer, and always need to try inks hands on.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by arrow View Post
    ... and always need to try inks hands on.
    As opposed to ink on hands!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

...As opposed to ink on hands!
    lol, I have to admit, it happens :- )

9. The Following User Says Thank You to arrow For This Useful Post:

Prettypenguin (February 6th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,176 Times in 698 Posts

haven't tried the "ink on hands" approach . . .

Actually, take a look at Namiki Blue . It seems pretty close and is more affordable than others. And it is a great ink!

Another option is to take a look at inkswatch.com. They had a "Compare to a Specific Ink" that might be helpful. Also, some of the major retailers have ink tools where you can compare to find the right color.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DrPenfection For This Useful Post:

dneal (March 5th, 2023)

Senior Member INeedAFinancialAdvisor's Avatar
    Thanks

This isn't a scientific or comprehensive survey, but I pulled out my swatch cards to see what was next to the Sheaffer. I put the swatches in order of inks, by color and going from light to dark, and I probably have 30-40 blues. The next closest I have is Akkerman Delftes Blauw (Delft Blue), a very well-behaved, vintage looking blue, just the tiniest bit darker than the Sheaffer. After that is Monteverde Malibu Blue.

If Chrissy sees this, she might have some other ideas. If I were you, I would look online at some of the dealer and order a couple of samples to try first. Vanness Pen Co has (in the US) the largest selection of inks, and they do samples. Good luck!
    I think diamine China blue is supposed to be the same as akkerman delfts blue. And should be easier to get and cheaper (but a much less cool bottle).

Inkswatch is an amazing resource!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to INeedAFinancialAdvisor For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (January 21st, 2023), SlowMovingTarget (February 5th, 2023), welch (August 10th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,176 Times in 698 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by INeedAFinancialAdvisor View Post

I think diamine China blue is supposed to be the same as akkerman delfts blue. And should be easier to get and cheaper (but a much less cool bottle).

Hmmm - I think Delfts Blue is slightly more purple than China Blue. I will have to get them both out and test them.

Senior Member INeedAFinancialAdvisor's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks

I may have been mislead by not reading the original post, and mixed it up with some of replies. Is the erasable factor important at all or is it mostly the blue color? If you really want it, a bottle still might be found.

Thanks

Ok, who wants to do a group buy? Currently listed on eBay:

~ Benjamin Franklin

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

countrydirt (January 23rd, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,465 Times in 4,005 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DrPenfection View Post

Hmmm - I think Delfts Blue is slightly more purple than China Blue. I will have to get them both out and test them.
    Those that I have certainly looked alike when I reviewed Akkerman Delfts Blue
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by arrow View Post
    I may have been mislead by not reading the original post, and mixed it up with some of replies. Is the erasable factor important at all or is it mostly the blue color? If you really want it, a bottle still might be found.
    If the OP is in the US he might prefer to search ebay for only those bottles that are located there. These older bottles still come up occasionally.
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 22nd, 2023 at 12:14 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (January 22nd, 2023)

Thanks

"These older bottles still come up occasionally."
    And don't ya just LUV paying the $19.99+, when the original $1.49 price tag is STILL SITTING RIGHT THERE?!?
    Last edited by ~JJ; January 22nd, 2023 at 11:37 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
    "These older bottles still come up occasionally."
    And don't ya just LUV paying the $19.99+, when the original $1.49 price tag is STILL SITTING RIGHT THERE?!?
    I spotted that. Still it's cheaper than the bottle from India. LOL

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

Ok, who wants to do a group buy? Currently listed on eBay:

One of my least favorite blues....the bottle is cool tho

Thanks

Just to keep it current, I did a quick comparison on TR Cream paper with glass pen and swab. Meh, the Akk. Delftes Blauw is nice and likely the closest *I* have, in-house, but I think if you dig around there are closer colors if you really want to get exact. That said, I love the Akk DB in vintage pens.

~ Benjamin Franklin

26. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

catbert (January 22nd, 2023), Chrissy (January 23rd, 2023), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (January 25th, 2023), OCArt (January 22nd, 2023), TSherbs (January 28th, 2023)

Thanks

I try to pull swatches from my Col-o-dex here in a bit. We have a 3 week old here keeping us hopping, but hopefully I can. I have the modern stuff and some vintage washable-I don't think I have permanent(unless the grayish blue unlabeled bottle I have is permanent-it looks a lot like Quink permanent I have of the same age).

I might have a bit of a vintage Skrip problem

IMG_2137.jpgIMG_2243.jpg

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bunnspecial For This Useful Post:

INeedAFinancialAdvisor (January 28th, 2023), Prettypenguin (January 27th, 2023), TSherbs (January 28th, 2023)