Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skrip Blue Replacement?

Thanks

Default Re: Skrip Blue Replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by bunnspecial View Post
    I try to pull swatches from my Col-o-dex here in a bit. We have a 3 week old here keeping us hopping, but hopefully I can. I have the modern stuff and some vintage washable-I don't think I have permanent(unless the grayish blue unlabeled bottle I have is permanent-it looks a lot like Quink permanent I have of the same age).

I might have a bit of a vintage Skrip problem

Attachment 75141Attachment 75142
    I wish I had that problem.

Thanks

IMG_2818 3.jpg
    Comparisons

(and I don't know why my photos are suddenly going sideways)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bunnspecial For This Useful Post:

INeedAFinancialAdvisor (January 28th, 2023), TSherbs (January 28th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bunnspecial View Post
    (and I don't know why my photos are suddenly going sideways)
    The rotation of the Earth's core is reversing. Please return all tray tables to their full upright and locked position, and ...
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

bunnspecial (January 28th, 2023), Prettypenguin (February 6th, 2023), TSherbs (January 28th, 2023)

Thanks

- Diamine Sapphire Blue

- Waterman Serenity

- Parker Quink (Permanent) Blue...I got a couple bottles from Writing Equipment Society in the UK. More than ten years ago, though. Maybe not WES, but a London shop...
    Last edited by welch; February 10th, 2023 at 06:47 PM.

Thanks

I just bought a bottle of Cross blue, it’s very close. Is it possible it’s the same ink? They had the same parent company until recently. For what it’s worth, I bought it on Amazon Prime, it’s ISO standard archival ink, made 2019 in China, not Slovenia.

Thanks

Cross blue may be close to the "Sheaffer Blue" that has been available for the past 40 or so years, but not so close to the old Skrip Blue aka Washable Blue.

I didn't know that Sheaffer was no longer owned by Cross. It doesn't even seem really alive, unless a broken website counts as alive. I am sad.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mrcharlie View Post
    I didn't know that Sheaffer was no longer owned by Cross. It doesn't even seem really alive, unless a broken website counts as alive. I am sad.
    Sheaffer has been purchased by an active Indian company, William Penn. Here's one of the articles.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcharlie View Post
    Sheaffer has been purchased by an active Indian company, William Penn. Here's one of the articles.
    https://www.williampenn.net

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (February 23rd, 2023)

Thanks

After re-reading this thread, I'm not sure which ink you are trying to replace. The original "washable Blue" (technically officially "Blue" but the carts would say "Washable Blue" or, for a while, "Deluxe Blue") that lasted from the late 1930s through somewhere around 1980, or the "Blue" that replaced it when Sheaffer first dropped the name "skrip" and started calling it "ink" up through the end of the Slovenian era, which once again used the "skrip" brand on the bottle?

If you are looking to replace the original, I would suggest that Hero 233 Blue, which can be had via ebay inexpensively, is a great replacement. I'd bet it is the same dye, chemically, in about the same saturation. I would bet that Hero 203 Blue is the same thing in a different shape bottle, but I don't know this so I ordered one to find out.

If you want the recent Slovakian made Blue, I suggest getting some samples or a cartridge of Pen maker blues (if you can) such as Waterman Serenity Blue, Lamy Blue, Pelican Royal Blue, Cross Blue, Kaweco Royal Blue, and Aurora Blue and see what you like. Then get a bottle. They may not be exactly the same shade or flow, but they are all close.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mrcharlie For This Useful Post:

dneal (March 5th, 2023)

Thanks

I just about cried when I saw that Skrip Red was discontinued. That was my perfect red. Hands down. Any help on finding a replacement for that? The Sheaffer Inferno is something completely different.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by maddington View Post
    I just about cried when I saw that Skrip Red was discontinued. That was my perfect red. Hands down. Any help on finding a replacement for that? The Sheaffer Inferno is something completely different.
    Try Diamine Poppy, Matador or Tulip or one from the Inkvent set Red Robin. For a shimmer version Fire Storm Red or even the latest Sailors Warning. Red Dragon is a bit darker but has always been a popular red.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

maddington (March 26th, 2023)

Thanks

I'd say that Diamine Inkvent Ho Ho Ho is a bit more like Skrip Red. Believe me, I had the same grief with the diminishing availability of Skrip Red. In my view, Montblanc Corn Poppy Red would have been another replacement, alas, this one is also discontinued. Sailor Jentle Irori would be pretty similar, too, but I find it to be somewhat brighter and maybe hard to get in many regions.

So, Diamine Inkvent Ho Ho Ho should be your best bet, also as it comes in a 50 ml glass and should be quite easy to get for an okay price.

I also heard that Sheaffer was sold again (I think it was the last episode of Anderson Pens Podcast #483 www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul45LSY7RSE, after min. 24:45), so maybe the ink will be available again after the dust has settled. These new bottles with the reservoir are great, so I'd love to see the Skrip line in these.

(I used these bottles with the little well in the beginning of the 90s, but then they were phased out in the 90s/early 2000s, and after 10 years the caps on my bottles became rusty, so I had to throw them out. Otherwise these would have been bottles that I had kept.)

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JulieParadise For This Useful Post:

maddington (March 26th, 2023), TSherbs (March 27th, 2023)

Thanks

Yes it was sold, and yes currently there is no Sheaffer stock of pens or ink in the retail pipeline. Only time will tell if the new owner sells product globally or in the US again. I'm not holding my breath. I hope I'm wrong.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,418 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JulieParadise View Post
    I'd say that Diamine Inkvent Ho Ho Ho is a bit more like Skrip Red. Believe me, I had the same grief with the diminishing availability of Skrip Red. In my view, Montblanc Corn Poppy Red would have been another replacement, alas, this one is also discontinued. Sailor Jentle Irori would be pretty similar, too, but I find it to be somewhat brighter and maybe hard to get in many regions.

So, Diamine Inkvent Ho Ho Ho should be your best bet, also as it comes in a 50 ml glass and should be quite easy to get for an okay price.

I also heard that Sheaffer was sold again (I think it was the last episode of Anderson Pens Podcast #483 www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul45LSY7RSE, after min. 24:45), so maybe the ink will be available again after the dust has settled. These new bottles with the reservoir are great, so I'd love to see the Skrip line in these.

(I used these bottles with the little well in the beginning of the 90s, but then they were phased out in the 90s/early 2000s, and after 10 years the caps on my bottles became rusty, so I had to throw them out. Otherwise these would have been bottles that I had kept.)
    I am only so slooooowly using my Skrip Red cuz it could be the end....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,379 Times in 586 Posts

Funny thing about vintage Skrip ink. I may be developing a little bit of a vintage Skrip Jones myself, to go along with my inking problem. I'm awaiting delivery of this bottle to go with an oversized Balance I just bought.

skrip.jpg
    Last edited by calamus; July 24th, 2023 at 12:13 PM.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

INeedAFinancialAdvisor (July 24th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (July 25th, 2023), Yazeh (July 24th, 2023)