Thread: How long will silicone grease last?

Thanks

Default How long will silicone grease last?

If I leave an eye dropper for too long or take too long to exhaust its ink supply will it start to leak?

Thanks

Default Re: How long will silicone grease last?

Great question. I wonder too.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

I believe silicon grease doesn't dry up or evaporate. I bet the ink would dry up first.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazyorange For This Useful Post:

inklord (April 9th, 2016)

Thanks

I have an open tube of silicone grease that I aquired over 40 years ago and it shows no sign of changing its properties. I still use it for various applications.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

Thanks

Silicone grease will not deteriorate, dry up or flow out of the threading area (if it's the sticky, greasy type rather than the oily variety). Long before your eyedropper pen will leak through the section threads or the nib insert threads, it will suffer from ink drying in the feed when not used for prolonged periods of time. So: don't eyedropper-fill pens with large quantities of ink if you do not intend to use that pen on a regular basis, especially when using highly saturated or pigmented inks. If you write at least a little bit every day or two, it's not a problem. However, that way your ink may last for years in the pen...
    My solution for when I get tired of an ink and still have 2 or 3 ml in an eyedropper pen is to dump the ink in a labeled sample vial or other small plastic container, clean the pen and refill it with the saved ink when the interest in that ink is back. Don't put ink that has been in an eyedropper pen sealed with silicone grease back into the original bottle though: the tiniest bit of grease in that ink may clog another pen.

Thanks

This excruciating pain can originate from various factors, such as a herniated disc, spinal stenosis, or even muscle tightness. If you're experiencing sciatica pain, you're probably eager to find immediate relief. official site