Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Skrip Blue Replacement?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2023
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Skrip Blue Replacement?

    Now that Sheaffer Scrip is dead, what is the closest blue to Sheaffer’s Washable Blue? I don’t generally use blue ink, and couldn’t find anything in my small stock that came close.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Location
    St. Louis area
    Posts
    333
    Thanks
    54
    Thanked 198 Times in 109 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Skrip Blue Replacement?

    Quink blue(permanent blue, not washable) is close to my eyes, although not the easiest to find if you're in the US

  3. #3
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,259
    Thanks
    7,312
    Thanked 10,233 Times in 3,763 Posts
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: Skrip Blue Replacement?

    This isn't a scientific or comprehensive survey, but I pulled out my swatch cards to see what was next to the Sheaffer. I put the swatches in order of inks, by color and going from light to dark, and I probably have 30-40 blues. The next closest I have is Akkerman Delftes Blauw (Delft Blue), a very well-behaved, vintage looking blue, just the tiniest bit darker than the Sheaffer. After that is Monteverde Malibu Blue.

    If Chrissy sees this, she might have some other ideas. If I were you, I would look online at some of the dealer and order a couple of samples to try first. Vanness Pen Co has (in the US) the largest selection of inks, and they do samples. Good luck!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  4. #4
    Senior Member carlos.q's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    On a hill in Puerto Rico
    Posts
    1,586
    Thanks
    1,977
    Thanked 1,448 Times in 672 Posts
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Skrip Blue Replacement?

    Take a look at Montblanc Royal blue and Waterman Serenity blue.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    209
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 76 Times in 55 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Skrip Blue Replacement?

    I don`t know how well the basic blue inks compare to Scheaffer`s Washable blue, like Quink or Pelikan 4001. I like blue-black too. I have looked into archive quality inks and yet not tried many of them; one I have noted down is de Atramentis Document Blue, it might be an alternative. It is both for fountain pen and dip pen. I will likely order a couple of the colors in their document line in the near future, but as mentioned I don`t have first hand experience on them yet. They look promising though. I never get colors right from my phone or computer, and always need to try inks hands on.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,259
    Thanks
    7,312
    Thanked 10,233 Times in 3,763 Posts
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: Skrip Blue Replacement?

    Quote Originally Posted by arrow View Post
    ... and always need to try inks hands on.
    As opposed to ink on hands!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    209
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 76 Times in 55 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Skrip Blue Replacement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

    ...As opposed to ink on hands!
    lol, I have to admit, it happens :- )

  8. #8
    Senior Member DrPenfection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Just northeast of Tahoe
    Posts
    3,709
    Thanks
    912
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 669 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Skrip Blue Replacement?

    haven't tried the "ink on hands" approach . . .

    Actually, take a look at Namiki Blue . It seems pretty close and is more affordable than others. And it is a great ink!

    Another option is to take a look at inkswatch.com. They had a "Compare to a Specific Ink" that might be helpful. Also, some of the major retailers have ink tools where you can compare to find the right color.

  9. #9
    Senior Member INeedAFinancialAdvisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    438
    Thanks
    528
    Thanked 272 Times in 141 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Skrip Blue Replacement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    This isn't a scientific or comprehensive survey, but I pulled out my swatch cards to see what was next to the Sheaffer. I put the swatches in order of inks, by color and going from light to dark, and I probably have 30-40 blues. The next closest I have is Akkerman Delftes Blauw (Delft Blue), a very well-behaved, vintage looking blue, just the tiniest bit darker than the Sheaffer. After that is Monteverde Malibu Blue.

    If Chrissy sees this, she might have some other ideas. If I were you, I would look online at some of the dealer and order a couple of samples to try first. Vanness Pen Co has (in the US) the largest selection of inks, and they do samples. Good luck!
    I think diamine China blue is supposed to be the same as akkerman delfts blue. And should be easier to get and cheaper (but a much less cool bottle).

    Inkswatch is an amazing resource!

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to INeedAFinancialAdvisor For This Useful Post:

    Jon Szanto (January 21st, 2023)

  11. #10
    Senior Member DrPenfection's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Just northeast of Tahoe
    Posts
    3,709
    Thanks
    912
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 669 Posts
    Rep Power
    10

    Default Re: Skrip Blue Replacement?

    Quote Originally Posted by INeedAFinancialAdvisor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    This isn't a scientific or comprehensive survey, but I pulled out my swatch cards to see what was next to the Sheaffer. I put the swatches in order of inks, by color and going from light to dark, and I probably have 30-40 blues. The next closest I have is Akkerman Delftes Blauw (Delft Blue), a very well-behaved, vintage looking blue, just the tiniest bit darker than the Sheaffer. After that is Monteverde Malibu Blue.

    If Chrissy sees this, she might have some other ideas. If I were you, I would look online at some of the dealer and order a couple of samples to try first. Vanness Pen Co has (in the US) the largest selection of inks, and they do samples. Good luck!
    I think diamine China blue is supposed to be the same as akkerman delfts blue. And should be easier to get and cheaper (but a much less cool bottle).

    Inkswatch is an amazing resource!
    Hmmm - I think Delfts Blue is slightly more purple than China Blue. I will have to get them both out and test them.

  12. #11
    Senior Member INeedAFinancialAdvisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    438
    Thanks
    528
    Thanked 272 Times in 141 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Skrip Blue Replacement?


  13. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    209
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 76 Times in 55 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Skrip Blue Replacement?

    I may have been mislead by not reading the original post, and mixed it up with some of replies. Is the erasable factor important at all or is it mostly the blue color? If you really want it, a bottle still might be found.

  14. #13
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,259
    Thanks
    7,312
    Thanked 10,233 Times in 3,763 Posts
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: Skrip Blue Replacement?

    Ok, who wants to do a group buy? Currently listed on eBay:

    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

    countrydirt (January 23rd, 2023)

  16. #14
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    9,748
    Thanks
    5,721
    Thanked 8,910 Times in 3,480 Posts
    Rep Power
    21

    Default Re: Skrip Blue Replacement?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrPenfection View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by INeedAFinancialAdvisor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    This isn't a scientific or comprehensive survey, but I pulled out my swatch cards to see what was next to the Sheaffer. I put the swatches in order of inks, by color and going from light to dark, and I probably have 30-40 blues. The next closest I have is Akkerman Delftes Blauw (Delft Blue), a very well-behaved, vintage looking blue, just the tiniest bit darker than the Sheaffer. After that is Monteverde Malibu Blue.

    If Chrissy sees this, she might have some other ideas. If I were you, I would look online at some of the dealer and order a couple of samples to try first. Vanness Pen Co has (in the US) the largest selection of inks, and they do samples. Good luck!
    I think diamine China blue is supposed to be the same as akkerman delfts blue. And should be easier to get and cheaper (but a much less cool bottle).

    Inkswatch is an amazing resource!
    Hmmm - I think Delfts Blue is slightly more purple than China Blue. I will have to get them both out and test them.
    Quote Originally Posted by INeedAFinancialAdvisor View Post
    Those that I have certainly looked alike when I reviewed Akkerman Delfts Blue
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  17. #15
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    9,748
    Thanks
    5,721
    Thanked 8,910 Times in 3,480 Posts
    Rep Power
    21

    Default Re: Skrip Blue Replacement?

    Quote Originally Posted by arrow View Post
    I may have been mislead by not reading the original post, and mixed it up with some of replies. Is the erasable factor important at all or is it mostly the blue color? If you really want it, a bottle still might be found.
    If the OP is in the US he might prefer to search ebay for only those bottles that are located there. These older bottles still come up occasionally.
    Last edited by Chrissy; January 22nd, 2023 at 01:14 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

    Jon Szanto (January 22nd, 2023)

  19. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2022
    Posts
    14
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Skrip Blue Replacement?

    "These older bottles still come up occasionally."
    And don't ya just LUV paying the $19.99+, when the original $1.49 price tag is STILL SITTING RIGHT THERE?!?
    Last edited by ~JJ; January 22nd, 2023 at 12:37 PM.

  20. #17
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    9,748
    Thanks
    5,721
    Thanked 8,910 Times in 3,480 Posts
    Rep Power
    21

    Default Re: Skrip Blue Replacement?

    Quote Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
    "These older bottles still come up occasionally."
    And don't ya just LUV paying the $19.99+, when the original $1.49 price tag is STILL SITTING RIGHT THERE?!?
    I spotted that. Still it's cheaper than the bottle from India. LOL
    Regards, Chrissy | My Blog: inkyfountainpens

  21. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,772
    Thanks
    1,829
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,279 Posts
    Rep Power
    14

    Default Re: Skrip Blue Replacement?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Ok, who wants to do a group buy? Currently listed on eBay:

    One of my least favorite blues....the bottle is cool tho

  22. #19
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,259
    Thanks
    7,312
    Thanked 10,233 Times in 3,763 Posts
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: Skrip Blue Replacement?

    Just to keep it current, I did a quick comparison on TR Cream paper with glass pen and swab. Meh, the Akk. Delftes Blauw is nice and likely the closest *I* have, in-house, but I think if you dig around there are closer colors if you really want to get exact. That said, I love the Akk DB in vintage pens.

    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

    catbert (January 22nd, 2023), Chrissy (January 23rd, 2023), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (January 25th, 2023), OCArt (January 23rd, 2023)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •