Thread: Quick review: Van Dieman's Neptune's Necklace

Thanks

Default Quick review: Van Dieman's Neptune's Necklace

Here is another multi-shading ink from Van Dieman's Inks, from their Underwater series, "Neptune's Necklace."

Van Dieman's Neptune's Necklace (Underwater series) by Elaine Pang, on Flickr

I had some fun trying a different way to see the chromatography:

And comparing to other inks I have sampled, the closest in my collection would seem to be de Atramentis Scottish Whiskey, which however doesn't have multi-shading.

Robert Oster Gold Antiqua also is similar, although a touch darker or more saturated (without multi-shading).

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jaguarish For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

catbert (January 23rd, 2023), Chrissy (January 23rd, 2023), damfino (January 23rd, 2023), InesF (January 23rd, 2023), Jon Szanto (January 23rd, 2023), junglejim (January 24th, 2023), LizEF (January 23rd, 2023), mizgeorge (January 23rd, 2023), PithyProlix (January 23rd, 2023), Robert (January 23rd, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (January 24th, 2023), Yazeh (January 23rd, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,081 Times in 2,212 Posts

Default Re: Quick review: Van Dieman's Neptune's Necklace

Gorgeous! You take ink reviews to another level

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Jaguarish (January 24th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 562 Posts

Thank you, Jaguarish, for this review. It looks like a nice sandy sort of color. And I'd say your chromatography experiment was a success!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Great work. Thank you.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

That's some lovely illustration of a lovely ink! It reminds a bit of "Stone Road of Gion" by Kyo-Iro. I wish I could see more actual handwriting examples, though. The trend has gotten to displaying inks as art projects, which is all fine, but especially with multi-shading inks, I've been burned a few times with inks that looked pretty in other uses but when used for simple, written tasks (say, correspondence) they were so light as to be difficult to read. This is why I like a few lines of text with maybe 2-3 sizes nib.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 23rd, 2023), Lloyd (January 23rd, 2023), Robert (January 23rd, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (January 24th, 2023)

Thanks

Hey, hopefully the writing I've included does give you an indication. There is a fine nib and an ornamental nib, plus that bit which I water tested was written with an italic stub. For me, I like knowing what the ink will do in reaction to water for multiple reasons including art!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jaguarish For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (January 24th, 2023), Yazeh (January 24th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguarish View Post
    Hey, hopefully the writing I've included does give you an indication. There is a fine nib and an ornamental nib, plus that bit which I water tested was written with an italic stub. For me, I like knowing what the ink will do in reaction to water for multiple reasons including art!
    Oh, gosh, don't get me wrong - I'm not complaining about the look of your review! These inks, and our takes on them, can be fairly personal. Your viewpoint leans very much to your interest in the visual art aspect of it, whereas I - still - utilize them almost strictly for writing. In my case, all of the lovely large patches, washes, drawings and large swatches end up being somewhat meaningless. Why? Because all of that lovely multi-shading, for the most part, doesn't appear in a straight written line from anything much smaller than a B or music nib. That doesn't make the ink (or review) bad, it just means that it's special qualities will not be apparent in my use, and therefore not a likely purchase (insert sad face). I'm trying to avoid some past impulsive purchases of multi-shaders that simply look like weak inks without variation coming out of the end of my pen!

But keep doing the reviews YOUR way, because that is what works for you. Maybe just a little bit more written text, though?
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; January 24th, 2023 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Typo
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (January 24th, 2023), Yazeh (January 24th, 2023)