Thread: Flew too close to the sun: re-tipping

Thanks

Default Flew too close to the sun: re-tipping

Hey all, haven't posted here on some time but I grind down my own nibs, have been doing so for a while.

I was helping my misses out with her sailor pro-gear 21k EF, she told me she wanted the nib needlepoint, so I was trying to get close to that. Got there, but she wanted something even finer, I should've just been sensible and ignored her. What I have ended up with is pretty much no rhodium and she hates it cause it catches.

Was wondering if anyone had a go to person for re-tipping. Also some guidance as to whether or not I should bother, it is a modern sailor nib unit so I could probably just buy one of those somewhere.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Default Re: Flew too close to the sun: re-tipping

There is only one person in the U.S. who re-tips and that is Greg Minuskin. I think you’ll find that you are money ahead by sourcing a new nib, as it is a costly repair to get it re-tipped. I only recommend it when trying to salvage a unique, vintage nib.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 26th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dsquall View Post
    it is a modern sailor nib unit so I could probably just buy one of those somewhere.

Sailor nibs always come with a free pen
    Add Lightness and Simplicate

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karmachanic For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 28th, 2023), Jon Szanto (January 27th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    There is only one person in the U.S. who re-tips and that is Greg Minuskin. I think you’ll find that you are money ahead by sourcing a new nib, as it is a costly repair to get it re-tipped. I only recommend it when trying to salvage a unique, vintage nib.
    Bummer time for a new pen!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 395 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    For vintage this is often the case. For modern, not so much. The retail price of a modern nib is often 2/3 of the price of the pen. A decade ago the dealer cost of a gold Jowo nib branded Bexley replacement nib was $120. Even an unmarked Jowo is that much. Retipping would have been 30% or so less.

I would suggest that you check Greg's pricing (add shipping into the price) and see what the price is for a replacement nib including shipping. Some, like Faber Castell won't sell a nib, but insist on providing it as a service which I assume means service charge in addition to nib price even if they give you one number. The advantage to having Greg do it is that he can also grind it to a needlepoint if your friend specifies the line width or gives a writing sample.

You might point out to your friend that a needlepoint is going to be somewhat toothy because being that fine it tends to snag the paper fibers instead of gliding over them as a wider nib would.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 28th, 2023), Yazeh (January 28th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

I just sent a similar nib to Greg in a group of nibs. I don’t have the breakdown but I’d guess it was around 100 for the retip though we went with a stub. Needlepoints require a bit more work

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (January 28th, 2023)