Thread: The Inoxcrom Sirocco

Thanks

Default The Inoxcrom Sirocco

In Spain there have been great artisans who have done wonders, but if we are talking about an industrial pen ihe Inoxcrom Sirocco is one of the most representative pens of the history of the spanish industrie.

This pen was born in 1993 in the Barcelona factory of the Spanish company Inoxcrom and was manufactured without interruption until 2010, therefore, it is already a historical article.

The Sirocco is large, as it is 14.6 cm in length, 1.5 cm in maximum thickness of the cap and 1.3 cm in thickness of the body. For comparison, the dimensions of a BIC Ballpoint Pen are 13.49 x 1.5 x 1.5 cm. Especially for those who are only used to using BICs, the Sirocco seems thick at first, but you quickly get used to it.

It has had several models, with changes in the cap and in the decoration of the barrel, but neither the mouthpiece nor the shape of the barrel, nor the clip have ever changed.

The first Sirocco was all black resin with a guilloché (fluted) cap. In recent years there was a similar version, but with a smooth black cap.

Due to its size and weight, it has great ergonomics, both without posting and posting (with the hood on the back). Its operation is by converter or cartridges, comfortably admitting 2. The cartridge is a simpler mechanism and perhaps less romantic than that of a piston pen, but for that very reason it does not break down and is the most practical.

Over time, more versions came out, such as green marbles and brown marbles. As a curiosity, due to its manufacturing process, no two greens or browns are the same.

But the best known and most famous were those made of solid silver (925 law)- There are two main types, with a plastic barrel and silver cap (925 law):

And those that both barrel and cap were silver. You are, they were the pride of the brand and of the history of the Spanish fountain pen and also, it could be optionally ordered with a 14k gold nib.

Obviously a Silver-Resin or a Silver-Silver, they weigh more than those that are only made of resins, but in terms of shape and ergonomics, it is the same.

Its normal nib is made of size 6 steel (that's big) and made in Spain by Inoxcrom itself. Even so, it is compatible with the renowned German brands Bock and Jowo, so in case of need, you never run out of spare.

As you can see, the first is the current of steel (and it is very good), the second is a remnant of the Inoxcrom Caravel (a scarce pen with a history of soap opera and industrial struggles) and the third is the gold one. They are all size 6.

There are other sub-variants, such as with a garnet-colored barrel, or those that were exported silver to Portugal or the Middle East. Actually, the Sirocco exported well. The one that was made in silver-silver exclusively for Expo98 in Lisbon stands out for its rarity, but they are all easily identifiable as Sirocco.

Matching pens and mechanical pencils are available for each type of pen. Both work with twist mechanism.

Where can you get an Inoxcrom Sirocco? Since it was discontinued in 2010, it is no longer in stores, but it can still be found through Todocolección, Ebay, Wallapop or similar. Sometimes used or completely new NOS, since many users bought them only as a representation pen and never used them. Users tended to take good care of them and today they are coveted by collectors around the world.
    Last edited by rizo; January 30th, 2023 at 09:46 AM.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rizo For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (January 30th, 2023), Deb (January 29th, 2023), Lady Onogaro (February 7th, 2023), Lloyd (January 29th, 2023), mizgeorge (January 29th, 2023), PithyProlix (January 30th, 2023), Robert (January 29th, 2023), usk15 (January 30th, 2023), Yazeh (January 30th, 2023)

Thanks

Default Re: The Inoxcrom Sirocco

Very interesting, rizo. Thanks for this post.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert For This Useful Post:

rizo (January 30th, 2023)

Thanks

I do have some Inoxcrom pens.

I would like to add a Corinthian pencil to my collection, but is hard to find one.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to usk15 For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (January 30th, 2023), Lady Onogaro (February 7th, 2023), mizgeorge (January 30th, 2023), rizo (January 30th, 2023), Yazeh (January 30th, 2023)

Thanks

rizo:

Nice pens.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to forester For This Useful Post:

rizo (January 30th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,246 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by usk15 View Post

I would like to add a Corinthian pencil to my collection, but is hard to find one.

Nice pens!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

usk15 (January 30th, 2023)

Thanks

Magnificent collection!

I know it's very difficult to get a Corinthian pencil, but maybe you can turn a pen into one. I think the ballpen and pencil have the same body, they only differ in the mechanism. You can buy a Corinthian ballpen and buy an Inoxcrom Wall Street pencil, which also has the same mechanism and interchange them. You would end up with a Corinthian pencil and a Wall Street pen.

Last edited by rizo; January 30th, 2023 at 09:54 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to rizo For This Useful Post:

usk15 (January 30th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rizo View Post
    Magnificent collection!
    Thank you!

Actually, the first 2 pens from left are Diplomat 1922 Classic, fountain pen and ballpoint pen.

I know it's very difficult to get a Corinthian pencil, but you can turn a pen into one. The pen and pencil have the same body, they only differ in the mechanism. You can buy a Corinthian pen and buy an Inoxcrom Wall Street pencil, which also has the same mechanism and interchange them. You would end up with a Corinthian pencil and a Wall Street pen.
    HA! I didn't know that, many thanks, I will search for it.

Thanks

Thank you!

Actually, the first 2 pens from left are Diplomat 1922 Classic, fountain pen and ballpoint pen.

I know it's very difficult to get a Corinthian pencil, but you can turn a pen into one. The pen and pencil have the same body, they only differ in the mechanism. You can buy a Corinthian pen and buy an Inoxcrom Wall Street pencil, which also has the same mechanism and interchange them. You would end up with a Corinthian pencil and a Wall Street pen.
    HA! I didn't know that, many thanks, I will search for it.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rizo For This Useful Post:

usk15 (January 30th, 2023), Yazeh (January 30th, 2023)

Thanks

I bought a new Inoxcrom Sirocco last year from a Melbourne retailer. Initially I was disappointed because it kept skipping and drying frequently. But after soaking and flushing with Water and Ammonia it now works very well.
    I do like the substantial size and quality feel (big hands). I wonder if it's NOS and that could be the reason for the initial drying issue.

Thanks

I have also three Inoxcrom Sirocco boligrafo (ballpoint pen) in sterling silver, one Imperial and two Plata:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joolstacho View Post
    I bought a new Inoxcrom Sirocco last year from a Melbourne retailer. Initially I was disappointed because it kept skipping and drying frequently. But after soaking and flushing with Water and Ammonia it now works very well.
    I do like the substantial size and quality feel (big hands). I wonder if it's NOS and that could be the reason for the initial drying issue.

I think it is always good to wash NOS fountain pens. Think the last Sirocco disappeared from the official catalog in 2010. It is normal that a pen that has been stored for so long has gathered dust.

Thanks

I have also three Inoxcrom Sirocco boligrafo (ballpoint pen) in sterling silver, one Imperial and two Plata:

Wonderful! You have to try to get a silver/silver feather pen and if possible, with a gold nib (the gold one was optional, the normal was a steel nib).