Thread: Montblanc Ceramic Prisma - opinion??

Thanks

Default Montblanc Ceramic Prisma - opinion??

I am relatively new to the fountain, pen world. I’ve been using a cheap one to see if I really enjoyed them, and I have decided to take the plunge and buy a high-end fountain pen to use at work. I’m looking for something that is a statement piece. That is not crazy out there flamboyant but something that is elegant, classy and sophisticated looking.

I have decided on the Legrand 146 size.

I was originally thinking I would pick up either a new or used standard black and gold or black and platinum, but have started looking at the Solitaire versions.

I love relatively close to a mount blanc store, and they happen to have some old leftover stock new in the box but outdated models. They have one of the ceramic Prisma in medium.

It looks very nice. I was not able to write with it as it has not been inked, but I just wanted to hold it see what it felt like and I left so I could sleep on it.

They are selling it at about 30% off but it would’ve cost when it was new. I also have looked online to compare used prices. I have found some used but essentially new looking examples for a few hundred bucks last but not dropped off a cheaper and this one would be knew from the store with a warranty.

I like the fact that it has a plastic section with the ink window. My only possible negative is the platinum plated barrel will probably pick up fingerprints like crazy, but I really like to have a Sparkles the facets of the ceramic Pick up highlights from the light, and it almost has a jewelry like appearance, but the black and silver contrasts a very neutral end not over the top

I was curious if anyone here has one has experience with one or have any other thoughts about whether I should reconsider a pen like this and they had back in a day or two, and just bite the bullet and buy it

Thx
    Pic of the pen
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 23019VC; January 30th, 2023 at 12:10 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Default Re: Montblanc Ceramic Prisma - opinion??

That’s one I was not aware of. The pen should be a solid performer, as it is built on one of their basic workhorses, and you have a company that will stand behind the product. I would hope that if you show serious interest in the pen that they will let you try it in-store. People test drive cars worth tens of thousands of dollars.

If you like the look of it, I don’t see any reason to not get it, especially if they are giving some discount. I would suggest carrying a soft cloth, like those for cleaning eyeglass lens, everywhere you go with the pen for the rest of your life. That thing is gonna be a hella fingerprint magnet!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 10,467 Times in 4,006 Posts

I hope they will at least let you try writing with a 146 M nib pen so that you can decide it's the right nib size for you. If I was you I would hold both of them in my hands for a while and make the decision between the two based on the fact that one is a standard pen and the other is not and as you suspect it will be a fingerprint magnet.

One small thing to bear in mind is that should you be so unlucky as to drop your pen or cause any slight damage down the road then the Solitaire version will be a more costly repair.

Good luck with whichever pen you choose.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (January 30th, 2023)

Thanks

I've only ever used this tool to install Windows 7 on my desktop and low overhead Linux operating systems for slower laptops. It has a clear interface and operates just as intended. Get more information rufus du sol chicago.

Thanks

If I had that opportunity, I’d take it. The pen is gorgeous, on sale, and fully warranted.