Thread: Sailor Fude de Mannen Woes

Thanks

Default Sailor Fude de Mannen Woes

Hello dear forum.
    I am new here so I hope that this post is received with a bit of grace and patience. If not, so be it. I can take it.
    I am a newbie to the fountain pen world and have been quite taken by the wild performance of the Sailor Fude de Mannen pen. I bought one and loved it so much until I had to replace the cartridge. I had bought a refill adapter for it, and it has yet to work. I liked the pen so much that I bought another one (thinking that the first one was faulty) and had the same experience. The adapter doesn't seem to work, or I am completely inept at operating a pen like this. I have watched multiple videos on how to use the adapter and as far as I can tell I am doing the same thing.
    My question here is: has anyone else in this forum experienced anything like this with the Sailor Fude de Mannen, or any other pen?
    Just trying to troubleshoot this problem as it is super annoying.
    I do have other fountain pens and haven't had any issues with them.

Thank you for any information or tips!

Thanks

Default Re: Sailor Fude de Mannen Woes

Ah, you're in luck. There is a YouTube video specifically on how to use your pen and a cartridge converter. Look here

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OCArt For This Useful Post:

drexnexlo (January 31st, 2023), PithyProlix (February 1st, 2023)

Thanks

Thank you OCArt, I don't think I had seen that particular video. I have no problems filling the pen, the converter draws the ink through the nib just fine - so I know that there is flow. The pen will write for a minute but then stops - I'm guessing that what makes it write is the ink from dipping it and not from the converter. I have tried this many many many times and I'm about to give up on it. I was wondering if anyone has had issues like this? It seems like the ink should flow, but maybe there is something wrong with the suction or gravity or something? Thanks y'all.

Thanks

1)Have you flushed the pen by filling it with the cartridges converter in place and then emptying the converter? Do this a few times with soapy water followed by a plain water rinse. If this doesn't solve the problem go to step two. 2) Does the pen work well with an ink cartridge? If so the problem is with the converter. Is it seated firmly?
    Just as a side note you can also refill cartridges with the use a syringe. Good luck and please report back.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OCArt For This Useful Post:

drexnexlo (February 3rd, 2023), PithyProlix (February 1st, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,486 Times in 4,012 Posts

I agree with OCArt it sounds like the converter is not seated correctly on the feed nipple or it starts off seated correctly then falls off. I would start by following the cleaning process he suggested.

I don't know your pen but if it was my pen I would also be looking into whether it is possible to remove the nib and feed and ensure they are both carefully cleaned out.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

drexnexlo (February 3rd, 2023), JulieParadise (February 1st, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,485 Times in 1,746 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drexnexlo View Post
    Hello dear forum.
    I am new here so I hope that this post is received with a bit of grace and patience. If not, so be it. I can take it.
    I am a newbie to the fountain pen world and have been quite taken by the wild performance of the Sailor Fude de Mannen pen. I bought one and loved it so much until I had to replace the cartridge. I had bought a refill adapter for it, and it has yet to work. I liked the pen so much that I bought another one (thinking that the first one was faulty) and had the same experience. The adapter doesn't seem to work, or I am completely inept at operating a pen like this. I have watched multiple videos on how to use the adapter and as far as I can tell I am doing the same thing.
    My question here is: has anyone else in this forum experienced anything like this with the Sailor Fude de Mannen, or any other pen?
    Just trying to troubleshoot this problem as it is super annoying.
    I do have other fountain pens and haven't had any issues with them.

Thank you for any information or tips!
    I loathe and despise Sailor converters! I'd just refill the carts if I were you. The mouth of the cartridge is wide enough that even an eyedropper can deposit ink in it, or you can buy easy-to-use plastic pipettes from Amazon or anywhere else.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

drexnexlo (February 3rd, 2023)

Thanks

Thank you everyone! I will have time this weekend to mess around with the converter and try to refill a cartridge. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the support and help.

Thanks

Thank you everyone! I will have time this weekend to mess around with the converter and try to refill a cartridge. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the support and help.
    Can't wait to see how it goes! Anyone who gets near pens/ink has to troubleshoot now and then.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OCArt View Post
    1)Have you flushed the pen by filling it with the cartridges converter in place and then emptying the converter? Do this a few times with soapy water followed by a plain water rinse. If this doesn't solve the problem go to step two. 2) Does the pen work well with an ink cartridge? If so the problem is with the converter. Is it seated firmly?
    Just as a side note you can also refill cartridges with the use a syringe. Good luck and please report back.
    I am pleased to say that I was able to get one of my Fude pens up and running after doing a deep clean and following these steps OCArt! I had tried once earlier in the weekend with not results but after stubbornly trying it again late last night, it finally worked! The one that doesn't work appears to not work with either the cartridge or the converter so perhaps there is something going on with the nib? it does look like the nib is slightly spaced away from the feeder. Regardless I am very happy to have one that works now. Thanks so much for the tips and help everyone!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by OCArt View Post
    I am pleased to say that I was able to get one of my Fude pens up and running after doing a deep clean and following these steps OCArt! I had tried once earlier in the weekend with not results but after stubbornly trying it again late last night, it finally worked! The one that doesn't work appears to not work with either the cartridge or the converter so perhaps there is something going on with the nib? it does look like the nib is slightly spaced away from the feeder. Regardless I am very happy to have one that works now. Thanks so much for the tips and help everyone!
    Good to hear you got one running. Can you post photos of the one that won't work?

Thanks

Good to hear you got one running. Can you post photos of the one that won't work?[/QUOTE]

I don't know how illuminating this photo will be, but you can kinda see where the nib is separating from the feeder. It probably did that because of my frustrated markings!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Thanks. I can see that slight separation, and that it might have come from pressing down hard (these pens shouldn't require pressure).

Maybe you could carefully, gently try pressing down right above the bend (toward the section) with just your thumb a little bit at a time.