Thread: Nethnography with fountain pen collectors [with million dollar MBs]

Thanks

Default Nethnography with fountain pen collectors [with million dollar MBs]

"...the meanings for collecting lie in the continuous socialization of images and information, which reinforce the meaning of being a collector and the importance of sharing these beliefs and consumption patterns."
    (page 11)

Are "search(es) for immortality" and "constant escapes from reality" pen things? See, Abstract.

Who are these guys?

https://rsdjournal.org/index.php/rsd...0/27033/359572

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kazoolaw For This Useful Post:

catbert (February 5th, 2023), christof (February 5th, 2023), da vinci (February 7th, 2023), Robalone (February 5th, 2023)

Thanks

Default Re: Nethnography with fountain pen collectors [with million dollar MBs]

Fascinatingly dense read. Being a cynical former grad student and recalling how difficult it was to come up with a suitable research topic, I remember thinking, "Find the most obscure little niche in my subject (career and technical education) and then just pound the hell out of it in research and design some sort of trial that I can collect data that is interesting to me."

Hell, these researchers almost make being obsessed and hoarding seem like a noble thing!
    I use a fountain pen and a paper planner - paperinkplan.wordpress.com

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to countrydirt For This Useful Post:

Robalone (February 5th, 2023), Yazeh (February 8th, 2023)

Thanks

Congratulations, it's a bit of a slog to make it all the way through.
    Although cynical, I was never a grad student. The study seems to be something you'd write to pad a resume.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kazoolaw For This Useful Post:

Robalone (February 5th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 806 Posts

"Main findings showed that, for the collector, the object’s meanings are built on the continuous socialization of information and images about fountain pens mediated by cyberspace. These practices reinforce the meanings of being a collector and underline shared beliefs and narrow consumption patterns. Displaying the possessed objects means the acceptance ritual in a specific group and this belonging results in social recognition and reputation to the possessor."

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

catbert (February 5th, 2023), christof (February 5th, 2023), fountainpenkid (February 7th, 2023), Scrawler (February 15th, 2023), Yazeh (February 8th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,880 Times in 1,434 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    "Main findings showed that, for the collector, the object’s meanings are built on the continuous socialization of information and images about fountain pens mediated by cyberspace. These practices reinforce the meanings of being a collector and underline shared beliefs and narrow consumption patterns. Displaying the possessed objects means the acceptance ritual in a specific group and this belonging results in social recognition and reputation to the possessor."
    Indeed, this is not entirely inaccurate... (I know what I'm talking about)

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (February 5th, 2023), catbert (February 5th, 2023), fountainpenkid (February 7th, 2023), Lloyd (February 5th, 2023), Prettypenguin (February 18th, 2023), Schaumburg_Swan (February 14th, 2023), SlowMovingTarget (February 5th, 2023), Yazeh (February 8th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,350 Times in 357 Posts

10537ED6-7587-43AD-9BFB-7ED3C09BBDBF.jpgFairly dense read, but most academic writing tends to be like that……
    The piece does cover quite a bit of ground, it would be interesting to see how many ‘collectors' see themselves included in the findings, and whether there are folk that can say that they are collecting for 'other' reasons.
    About academic writing in general, I do love this cartoon from Bill Watterson….

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Robalone For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (February 5th, 2023), catbert (February 5th, 2023), christof (February 5th, 2023), Lloyd (February 5th, 2023), Prettypenguin (February 18th, 2023), Robert (February 5th, 2023), Yazeh (February 8th, 2023)

Thanks

A very interesting read!

Thanks

Wonder how much of that translates over to social media use in general, lol. Some people are obsessed with "collecting" pics of themselves or the clothes they wear/food they eat. Then they post it all for others to comment on and thus the loop of affirmation ensues. Basically, just looking for validation...

Thanks

I frequently use Rufus to make bootable USB devices, so I can install and live boot my preferred Linux distributions. If you wish to make a bootable drive, I strongly advise using this software because it is user-friendly and straightforward. Although the UI is simple and devoid of fancy features, it makes this a lightweight project that you can easily download and turn into a live boot USB! Get more information rufus sewell.