Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Experience with Tomoe River

Thanks

Default My Experience with Tomoe River

I'm still a bit green when it comes to fountain pens and thus all things fp-friendly. Below is my experience with Tomoe River paper.

So, Tomoe River Paper. It’s one of the most talked about papers in the fountain pen community and probably in the middle of the road in terms of price. I thought it over and came to the conclusion that if it was as good as I had been reading it was it might very well be the best value in fountain pen friendly, non-journal, paper out there.

A little over a week ago I received a letter from a contact in Alaska that was written on Tomor River paper and it looked amazing. A good amount of ink on the page and no bleed through. It is light to the touch and feels like artisan paper more than anything else I have tried. It’s not made in a hipster shop in PA but it is really solid paper made by people trying to make better paper.

And so, I bought a pad. The easiest way I have been able to find it is in 50 or 100 sheet pull off pads in various sizes in either white or cream. I choose cream because that was what I had seen and knew I liked it but I plan to try the white very soon. You can get it starting from about $7 for 50 sheets or $12 for 100 sheets plus shipping on both. There are several places that sell it and it’s not hard to find if you are searching for these pads. There is also the phenomenon known as group buy where people pool there money and order multiple reams of the stuff and split it. It seems like a decent enough idea but a lot of work just to get paper you can get in these pads for an ok price.

Attachment 5168

So, I’m not going to rate it any more than I already have above as I haven’t tried a thousand types of paper to compare it to but I will say it is my current favorite for writing letters. Below is a sample of some writing on a page as well as some shots of the pad.

My review with pictures - http://heathcates.com/2013/tomoe-river-paper/

Thanks

Default Re: My Experience with Tomoe River

Thank you for the detailed review, Heath. The two batches I tried both skipped, and were not pleasant to use due to aspects inherent to the lightweight of the paper. It is also not easy to get and epensive if you live in Europe, where more reasonably priced alternatives can be found. French papier à lettres "par avion", Spanish " papel de cartas por avión", English " air mail stationery" or even Bank typing paper. Ryman's performance was quite good the last time I got some, about two years ago, but a sample this year showed a lesser quality. Airmail paper is becoming progressively hard to find, sadly.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ondina For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (December 11th, 2014)

Thanks

Europeans are lucky, paper sucks in the USA. So far the only good papers from US based businesses are sugarcane like F-C sells or imports from Italy, France, Germany or Japan. That are retailed here or custom bound here.

I try to support small business whenever I can afford to.

Tom
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbreeze View Post
    Europeans are lucky, paper sucks in the USA. So far the only good papers from US based businesses are sugarcane like F-C sells or imports from Italy, France, Germany or Japan. That are retailed here or custom bound here.

I try to support small business whenever I can afford to.

Tom
    I contacted every paper manufacturer in Canada to find out if any made high quality writing paper, so that I could buy a more local product. Not one makes any, nor will they. The biggest market is printer paper and newsprint. One Montreal based manufacturer gave the impression that they thought my request for fountain pen friendly paper was humourous.

I also support small and local business.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrawler View Post

One Montreal based manufacturer gave the impression that they thought my request for fountain pen friendly paper was humourous.

I hear you, I didn't realize Canada shares the problem. I know Jay of PaperforFountainpens ships to Canada as does F-C. Renaissance Art Leather does too but they are for custom bound journals and pricer then the other two.

In any case, it may cost insane custom fees to you. Of course Goulet and Anderson are also options just am sure you know those
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    ===
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

Thanks

One Montreal based manufacturer gave the impression that they thought my request for fountain pen friendly paper was humourous.

I hear you, I didn't realize Canada shares the problem. I know Jay of PaperforFountainpens ships to Canada as does F-C. Renaissance Art Leather does too but they are for custom bound journals and pricer then the other two.

In any case, it may cost insane custom fees to you. Of course Goulet and Anderson are also options just am sure you know those
    I purchased a whole lot of paper from Goulet once and was dinged by excess duties and exchange rates. Now I buy foreign made paper from Wonderpens in Toronto and Paper-Papier in Ottawa.

Thanks

Do you favor European or Asian paper??
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    ===
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

Thanks

Do you favor European or Asian paper??
    I received a few sheets of Tomoe River paper to try and I like it very much, but it is generally unavailable, so I normally use European paper. Tomoe River is so fine that it works really well with fine flex nibs, which can catch on up strokes on paper like G. Lalo.

Thanks

I received a few sheets of Tomoe River paper to try and I like it very much, but it is generally unavailable, so I normally use European paper. Tomoe River is so fine that it works really well with fine flex nibs, which can catch on up strokes on paper like G. Lalo.
    Wonderpens stocks Tomoe River. Thats where I get mine Also I just wanted to say since you shop at WP as well (as you mentioned in a previous post), DO NOT try the Life brand typewriter paper. It says its fountain pen friendly but its not at all. With fine nibs its fine on one side (TONS of bleed through on the back), but with broader nibs, the ink just soaks into the paper and feathers like crazy. I was really disappointed in it. I had forgone a pack of Tomoe River to get that one and try it out and I wish I didn't!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ondina View Post
    The two batches I tried both skipped, and were not pleasant to use due to aspects inherent to the lightweight of the paper.
    I like the paper, but I may not buy another batch. On the one hand, I have noticed myself that there can be spots on the Tomoe River paper where the coating is too thick/slick, causing the ink to bead slightly instead of laying down evenly to dry. On the other hand, if a pen has any nib adjustment issues, such as a slight baby's bottom that that isn't usually a problem, it might be a problem on this paper.
    --
    Mike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kataish View Post

Wonderpens stocks Tomoe River. Thats where I get mine Also I just wanted to say since you shop at WP as well (as you mentioned in a previous post), DO NOT try the Life brand typewriter paper. It says its fountain pen friendly but its not at all. With fine nibs its fine on one side (TONS of bleed through on the back), but with broader nibs, the ink just soaks into the paper and feathers like crazy. I was really disappointed in it. I had forgone a pack of Tomoe River to get that one and try it out and I wish I didn't!
    The G. Lalo paper I am using right now came from WP. I am hoping to get to TO in July, and if I do I will be popping in to see Liz. I bought some paper from another place that was being sold as "resume paper". It looks nice, but is the bleediest, most feathering paper ever. Despite being think and heavy, I was able to present my review by photographing the reverse side.

Thanks

Default My Experience with Tomoe River

The G. Lalo paper I am using right now came from WP. I am hoping to get to TO in July, and if I do I will be popping in to see Liz. I bought some paper from another place that was being sold as "resume paper". It looks nice, but is the bleediest, most feathering paper ever. Despite being think and heavy, I was able to present my review by photographing the reverse side.
    Yikes that sounds worse then American 20lb copy paper
    Last edited by Silverbreeze; May 6th, 2014 at 04:59 AM.
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    ===
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

Thanks

I put it away somewhere in the house. I should dig it out and send samples to members here to try. The thing about this paper is that it looks and feels like a fine textured, quality paper. It is actually sold with the express purpose of creating a favourable impression for a person's resume.

Thanks

I put it away somewhere in the house. I should dig it out and send samples to members here to try. The thing about this paper is that it looks and feels like a fine textured, quality paper. It is actually sold with the express purpose of creating a favourable impression for a person's resume.
    Errr isn't ink jet ink almost as picky about feathering as the liquid inks we use
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    ===
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

Thanks

Errr isn't ink jet ink almost as picky about feathering as the liquid inks we use
    I don't know. I do not have a printer, or any use for printer paper.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ondina View Post
    The two batches I tried both skipped, and were not pleasant to use due to aspects inherent to the lightweight of the paper.
    I like the paper, but I may not buy another batch. On the one hand, I have noticed myself that there can be spots on the Tomoe River paper where the coating is too thick/slick, causing the ink to bead slightly instead of laying down evenly to dry. On the other hand, if a pen has any nib adjustment issues, such as a slight baby's bottom that that isn't usually a problem, it might be a problem on this paper.
    Hey, Mike,

What do you use/like/recommend (esp. for fine point)?
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

I'm going to say Clairefontaine, but in reality I'm afraid I'm no help on the paper side, as I'm not a paper connoisseur by any means. Most of the time I use a Rhodia pad. I think I read somewhere that Rhodia paper is made by Clairefontaine, but they seem a little different to me. I slightly prefer the Clairefontaine paper I have. This kind of paper delivers tight lines, is feather resistant, and shows shading well. Drying time is longer than more commonly seen paper, but it is a good compromise, IMHO. Tomoe River shows more shading, but you pay for it with longer drying times. However, as I mentioned before, these kinds of papers require a superbly adjusted nib for best results with no "skip starts", and out-of-the-box most pens are not there, IMHO. If you can tolerate that little skip-start after a pause, then you'll be fine, though.
    --
    Mike

Thanks

I have been talking to Sue Silberman at Silberman Brown Stationers here in Seattle about having Tomoe River in her store. She has a pad for people to demo and will conduct some marketing research into the viability of carrying that product. Careful though, she has some amazingly good products including Amatruda Amalfi paper that is quite expensive but very intriguing. Fun Shop. Good folk too. Her main problem is finding a wholesaler for Tomoe River paper.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to RudyR For This Useful Post:

Tracy Lee (May 6th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

Amalfi is like writing on your clothes. Wonderfully textile. But some inks will feather like a mad dog. I have used it for years. How nice you can walk into a store to purchase it! And great she is willing to do the research to expand what she carries. A+ for that store!!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Tracy Lee For This Useful Post:

tiffanyhenschel (May 6th, 2014)

Thanks

From what you are saying, is Amafi like 120 lb cotton rag???
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    ===
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America