Thread: Montblanc 149 Calligraphy Curved Nib pen

Thanks

Default Montblanc 149 Calligraphy Curved Nib pen

This pen feels a tad lighter than my 149 with OBBB "Signature" nib.

Although I think it will take some time to really master this pen - especially writing with the nib upside down - by following the instruction sheet that came with the pen I was able to achieve different line widths right out of the box. I'm happy with the line variation between horizontal and vertical strokes while writing the way I usually hold a pen.

Holding the nib upside down produced a fine faint line.

I look forward to seeing what the pen will do with red ink over the weekend as Manny the Jack Russell Terrier has asked me to write a couple of valentines for some of his female admirers ... See today's blog post.

MB 149 Calligraphy Curved.jpg
    Last edited by BlkWhiteFilmPix; February 9th, 2023 at 02:27 PM. Reason: added link to Feb 9 blog post re red ink, etc.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

“If ‘To hold a pen is to be at war’ as Voltaire said, Montblanc suggests you show up in full dress uniform, ready to go down like an officer and a gentleman among the Bic-wielding hordes.” - Chris Wright

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

catbert (February 14th, 2023), Chrissy (February 9th, 2023), Jon Szanto (February 9th, 2023), junglejim (February 9th, 2023), mizgeorge (February 8th, 2023), Robert (February 8th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (February 10th, 2023), Scrawler (February 15th, 2023), Yazeh (February 9th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,452 Times in 4,002 Posts

Default Re: Montblanc 149 Calligraphy Curved Nib pen

Thanks Bob. It's good to see your writing and I would also love to see something you've written with your OBBB signature nib.
    That Herbin Eclat de Saphir is a really nice blue. I must get out my bottle and try some in a pen.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Thank you, Chrissy.

Here's something with the O3B Signature Nib.

Montblanc 149 03B sample Oct 2016.jpg
    Last edited by BlkWhiteFilmPix; February 9th, 2023 at 03:12 AM.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

“If ‘To hold a pen is to be at war’ as Voltaire said, Montblanc suggests you show up in full dress uniform, ready to go down like an officer and a gentleman among the Bic-wielding hordes.” - Chris Wright

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (February 9th, 2023), junglejim (February 9th, 2023), Scrawler (February 15th, 2023)

Thanks

Thank you Bob, that looks wonderful. I never knew how great it would actually look and thought it would look much too bold/thick for normal writing. I now wish I had considered buying a pen with a nib like this years ago.

Thanks

Thank you, Chrissy. That nib is a very wet writer. The large oblique nib does require more concentration than a more conventional oblique nib.

I bought the 149 used with a fine nib that wrote too small for my broad-leaning taste.

When talking about the 149 with a colleague at the former day job, he mentioned the Signature Nib so I looked into it and found a used one on nibs.com.

Coincidentally, when I looked on nibs.com today I saw they have a used OBB nib for a 149.
    Last edited by BlkWhiteFilmPix; February 9th, 2023 at 02:25 PM.
    Bob

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlkWhiteFilmPix View Post
    Thank you, Chrissy. That nib is a very wet writer. The large oblique nib does require more concentration than a more conventional oblique nib.

I bought the 149 used with a fine nib that wrote too small for my broad-leaning taste.

When talking about the 149 with a colleague at the former day job, he mentioned the Signature Nib so I looked into it and found a used one on nibs.com.

Coincidentally, when I looked on nibs.com today I saw they have a used OBB nib for a 149.
    I only ever bought one Mb 149. It looked like a decent pen on ebay and arrived from France with a perfect nib that looks really broad. During the time I've had it everything but the nib has been replaced by Mb Hamburg and they call it a BB in their invoices. Because that writes such a broad and juicy line I've never actually filled it, just dipped it a couple of times. Maybe I should have considered getting it ground to an oblique but now I'm starting to sell off pens rather than to spend money buying more.

On the other hand, if I was in the US I would be buying that OBB nib and getting them swapped over. As I'm in the UK it is sadly too cost prohibitive.

Thanks

A comparison of the MB curved nib 149 with a MB 146 OBB, a MB 146 B, a Pelikan M800 OB, a Pelikan M805 M ground to Cursive Italic, and a Pelikan M800 with stock Italic Broad.
    MB 149 Curved Nib comparisons.jpg
    Last edited by BlkWhiteFilmPix; February 16th, 2023 at 10:25 AM.
    Bob

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

catbert (February 14th, 2023), Chrissy (February 15th, 2023), junglejim (February 15th, 2023)