Thread: Colossal - Secret fore-edge paintings and Rainbow Pencils

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

Default Colossal - Secret fore-edge paintings and Rainbow Pencils

Some interesting articles over on Colossal:
    These hidden bookedge paintings show amazing detail for their size. The book edges appear to have standard guilded edging until you angle the edges to reveal the paintings.
    autumn-new.jpg
    http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2013/0...ook-paintings/
    A few days ago Colleen Theisen who helps with outreach and instruction at the Special Collections & University Archives at the University of Iowa shared an amazing gif she made that demonstrates something called fore-edge painting on the edge of a 1837 book called Autumn by Robert Mudie. Fore-edge painting, which is believed to date back as early as the 1650s, is a way of hiding a painting on the edge of a book so that it can only be seen when the pages are fanned out. There are even books that have double fore-edge paintings, where a different image can be seen by flipping the book over and fanning the pages in the opposite direction.
    When I realized the book Theisen shared was only one of a series about the seasons, I got in touch and she agreed to photograph the other three so we could share them with you here. Above are photos of Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter which were donated to the University of Iowa by Charlotte Smith. How much fun are these? Keep an eye on the University of Iowa’s special collections Tumblr as they unearth more artificats from the archives.
    Rainbow Pencils Made of Recycled Paper
    10347b6fb97d104029402a3f9d77af4c_large.jpgrainnbow-2.jpg
    http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2013/0...ecycled-paper/

Lead pencils with layers of coloured paper being done as a Kickstarter project.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bogon07 For This Useful Post:

Adhizen (September 5th, 2013), Carole (September 4th, 2013), earthdawn (September 4th, 2013), Jeph (September 5th, 2013), KrazyIvan (September 5th, 2013), Tony Rex (September 4th, 2013), Tracy Lee (September 5th, 2013)

Thanks

Default Re: Colossal - Secret fore-edge paintings and Rainbow Pencils

I've seen these book edge paintings before. I've wanted to know how it was done... some of them are quite detailed. The book as an art form has had many incarnations which speaks to our relationship to it as form of communication and expression.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogon07 View Post
    Some interesting articles over on Colossal:
    These hidden bookedge paintings show amazing detail for their size. The book edges appear to have standard guilded edging until you angle the edges to reveal the paintings.
    autumn-new.jpg
    http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2013/0...ook-paintings/
    A few days ago Colleen Theisen who helps with outreach and instruction at the Special Collections & University Archives at the University of Iowa shared an amazing gif she made that demonstrates something called fore-edge painting on the edge of a 1837 book called Autumn by Robert Mudie. Fore-edge painting, which is believed to date back as early as the 1650s, is a way of hiding a painting on the edge of a book so that it can only be seen when the pages are fanned out. There are even books that have double fore-edge paintings, where a different image can be seen by flipping the book over and fanning the pages in the opposite direction.
    When I realized the book Theisen shared was only one of a series about the seasons, I got in touch and she agreed to photograph the other three so we could share them with you here. Above are photos of Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter which were donated to the University of Iowa by Charlotte Smith. How much fun are these? Keep an eye on the University of Iowa’s special collections Tumblr as they unearth more artificats from the archives.
    Rainbow Pencils Made of Recycled Paper
    10347b6fb97d104029402a3f9d77af4c_large.jpgrainnbow-2.jpg
    http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2013/0...ecycled-paper/

Lead pencils with layers of coloured paper being done as a Kickstarter project.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

These look to be one-of-a-kind books. Do you think the pages were clamped in place and then painted on ?
    I suppose this could be achieved with modern printing technology but you would need to have very precise binding for it to work well.

I hope it doesn't generate a rash of people bending and twisting old books to see if they have hidden pictures.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks

You know, that's exactly the thought that crossed my mind--run over to the Library and start looking for these things! j/k Actually, by chance, I've seen some fore-edge book paintings similar to these (I was wearing white gloves at the time), they're amazing.

This short article describes the technique a bit, in case anyone wants to give it a try. http://www.hofstra.edu/pdf/library/l..._edged_srp.pdf
    (I know there are others with more pics but couldn't find them at the moment.) Thanks for posting this! Didn't know the Colossal site, it's great.
    Last edited by Carole; September 6th, 2013 at 02:41 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Carole For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (September 6th, 2013)

Thanks

The book has to be painted with the pages flexed and then when the book in "normal" they apply the gold... which is about all I know.... They are quite rare.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,531 Times in 1,769 Posts

Amazing.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Spend some time on this site - well worth it.

http://www.thisiscolossal.com/