Thread: Montblanc 147 Traveler

Thanks

Default Montblanc 147 Traveler

I’ve had the black 147 Traveler FP (M nib) for 20 years, and it’s never performed well. It always dry starts and eventually skips. It’s been serviced 2 or 3 times by the old MB service unit and they would talk up a new feeder box and a lot of BS as it’s a simple nib and feed c/c filler that pulls out easily. I’m relegated to tapping the top of the pen to get flow which at that point it performs well. I’ve primed the nib but that doesn’t get it going well for any period. I only use new MB cartridges and stick to plain ink colors black and blue. I like it as I have the original case and the cartridge holders inside of it but just annoying. Any input appreciated.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Default Re: Montblanc 147 Traveler

I also have a 147 traveller and I regularly used to flush it out with the special Mb cleaning cartridges. Since I can no longer get those I fill an ear bulb and push it into the top of the pen then flush it out a few times with the pointed end of the ear bulb. Try using warm soapy water first then always finish with cold. I always have 2 cartridges inside the cartridge "sleigh" as it's correct that the cartridge must be properly held in position and the second cartridge helps to make sure that happens. Also you should always ensure that the cartridge being used is properly behind the catch edge inside the sleigh as it can sometimes pop out from the correct place then it might not sit properly on the nipple down inside the barrel..

What has already been suggested above is also well worth a try.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Mine was finicky as heck, too. I sent it off to Brad Torelli for some work. Got it back like, 10 months later, and it works pretty well now. I am not sure if Brad is taking any new work or not.

Thanks

Mine had a thirsty BB nib on it(probably not the best nib for that pen-if I get another it will be F/EF) that had an unfortunate encounter with the washing machine. Before that, though, it was finicky in a lot of the ways you describe.

I sent it to Ron Zorn to straighten out the nib, and while there he pulled it all apart for a deep clean. It came back with his test paper and an apology that he'd tested with the only cartridges he had on hand, some old un-named ones(I'd meant to stick one of his preferred Pelikan Blue in the top of the sled before sending). After he worked on it, it was a reliable writer. In retrospect I should have just bought another 146 in F/EF and swapped the nibs around but sold it instead.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

A Montblanc 146 BB nib would be a really nice find especially as I'm visiting the US soon. A B nib for a Bohème would be nice too. Just in case anyone has any waiting for a pen.....
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens