Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dealing with spammers

Thanks

Default Re: Dealing with spammers

Finally, the type of project being worked on should also be taken into consideration when selecting the optimal drilling speed. If the project is a large scale one, then slower speeds should be used in order to achieve the desired results. If, on the other hand, the project is a smaller scale one, then faster speeds can be used. https://drillingguy.com/best-drill-bit-sharpener/

Senior Member INeedAFinancialAdvisor's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    There is another board. I guess if you can put up with the ads, there is a lot of activity. You can even get points there for posts elsewhere that offend.
    The secret to making that other place useable (and a great deal of the Internet for that matter) is a pihole
    Tldr: your computer requests the address for the ad. The pihole says “no”. Your computer shrugs and then the page loads with no ads

https://pi-hole.net/

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to INeedAFinancialAdvisor For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (April 4th, 2023), Deb (April 4th, 2023), Yazeh (April 24th, 2023)

Thanks

Bump

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by INeedAFinancialAdvisor View Post
    The secret to making that other place useable (and a great deal of the Internet for that matter) is a pihole
    Tldr: your computer requests the address for the ad. The pihole says “no”. Your computer shrugs and then the page loads with no ads
    tl:dr, V2.0: *nix based op systems, Windows / Mac OS not supported, in case anyone wondered. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    tl:dr, V2.0: *nix based op systems, Windows / Mac OS not supported, in case anyone wondered. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    I’m not 100% sure i understand what you’re saying here.

But a pihole will work if you have a Windows computer (or as Is my home; all ios and macs)

The pihole is meant to be its own unit (you CAN run it as a vm i suppose)
    i have a raspberry pi that sits behind my router hidden away and my router uses the pihole as its primary dns resolver.

Admittedly, some *nix experience is helpful. I certainly won’t deny that fact.

Thanks

i have a raspberry pi that sits behind my router hidden away and my router uses the pihole as its primary dns resolver.

Yes.

When your post gave the impression it was panacea, I assumed it was a slick new browser plugin or the like, not a stand-alone object, requiring not only a separate piece of hardware but also *nix programming/usage chops as well. As such, it is not for the masses, but rather meant for network application. I appreciate how you have it working for yourself, but I can't think of many people - including myself - that I could suggest it to.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

Just don't go to the other place. Simple.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

Yes.

When your post gave the impression it was panacea, I assumed it was a slick new browser plugin or the like, not a stand-alone object, requiring not only a separate piece of hardware but also *nix programming/usage chops as well. As such, it is not for the masses, but rather meant for network application. I appreciate how you have it working for yourself, but I can't think of many people - including myself - that I could suggest it to.
    There are many great tutorials to help you out should you wish to try something new.
    But admittedly, computers are not everyone’s forte.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Just don't go to the other place. Simple.
    This is always a viable option.

As is loading down your browser with plugins (which is the only way i have found to block youtube ads. Pihole is helpless against them because of how they work)

Alternatively, i am given to believe that if you pay for the other place, you access an ad free version of it.

I guess the last option if you’re not willing to try any of the above is to simply deal with the ads.

At least there are much fewer spammers. Unless you count the all the people who join simply to request that users identify and evaluate the one pen they inherited/found/bought assuming it’s worth a fortune, so that they can hawk it on ebay. And then never come back to the board…

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 355 Posts

Am I just so naive……or ….is there not any facility to immediately delete a 'new member account' that is obviously a scam .

If it was known that a new acct from a non genuine person ( entity!) would be immediately deleted, wouldn’t this mean that a: we never got to see them, and b: they started not bothering to post the stuff ?

This has probably been addressed a few times, but it is a bit annoying to have the harmony of folk just having a nice time and gettin on with their hobby , being disrupted by gratuitous wankers !!

I don’t know how fora work, but I thought there was like a system that sort of …policed this ..in a benign sort of way !?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robalone View Post
    Am I just so naive……or ….is there not any facility to immediately delete a 'new member account' that is obviously a scam .

If it was known that a new acct from a non genuine person ( entity!) would be immediately deleted, wouldn’t this mean that a: we never got to see them, and b: they started not bothering to post the stuff ?

This has probably been addressed a few times, but it is a bit annoying to have the harmony of folk just having a nice time and gettin on with their hobby , being disrupted by gratuitous wankers !!

I don’t know how fora work, but I thought there was like a system that sort of …policed this ..in a benign sort of way !?
    Maybe an automatic facility was available from vBulletin because Dan wrote a thread about it. If it needs some manual input then that is no longer there and if it needs updating to their latest version it probably hasn't been done.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 396 Posts

When was the last time that this site had an update?

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    When was the last time that this site had an update?
    It is displayed that FPG is running vBulletin 4.2.3; the current version of the platform software is 6.0.2. So, roughly the Pre-Cambrian, in Internet time.

~ Benjamin Franklin

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Deb (December 30th, 2023), Stands on Feet (December 30th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 396 Posts

Very safe and secure, no vulnerabilities then, eh?

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    Very safe and secure, no vulnerabilities then, eh?
    Hahaha... Yeah, I guess all the invertebrates are ok, at least until the dinosaurs show up!

(I mean, at this point, all we can do is laugh, right?)

~ Benjamin Franklin