Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with spammers

Thanks
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,418 Posts

Default Re: Dealing with spammers

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    ... The only thing left would be a concerted effort from several people to confront the owner to do something about the situation actively, but I have the distinct impression that no one else is interested in that path, and that is understandable.
    I missed this part. I am interested in this and I would do my part. Heck, I would do it singlehandedly if I lived in that area. "Confront" isn't the right word, but I would be willing to send letters, emails (I have already done this once), stop by the store and inquire if Eric is in. Drop off a petition. Nail 39 theses to the door. Whatevah would be helpful.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (March 29th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 573 Posts

Having run a board, someone must be doing something. Perhaps letting a little spam in and a hands off content approach is a social experiment but keeping a board running does take intervention.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (March 29th, 2023), TSherbs (March 29th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,801 Times in 791 Posts

How about starting an online petition right here on this board? All he needs to do is authorize two or three volunteers to help deal with all the spam.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (March 29th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Having run a board, someone must be doing something. Perhaps letting a little spam in and a hands off content approach is a social experiment but keeping a board running does take intervention.
    I agree. When compared with just the other "like" fountain pen sites, this one has far less problems, difficulties & bugs. That is not happening by accident or by leaving the gear in neutral. There has to be some oversight.

The problem is not all Spam. He gets frequent messages from members some of whom are egregious Forum rule breakers; they think what they do is fine...... but are quick to scream that others should be banned. I would not want to referee all those petty spats, would you?

The problem is once he begins, where does he draw the line(s)? What is being proposed could quickly become a full time job. Sure, he could deputize Moderators but then you have to put up with all the heavy handed pettiness and self-promotion which is so commonplace at another site which many of us frequent.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the spam as much as anybody else. But, at the end of the day, all it takes is one click and it is gone. And, when it comes from repeat offenders, such as our resident sicko (you know who), all it takes is a push of the ignore button and he is gone until he assumes some new user name...... at which point all one needs to do is to repeat the process.

Let's be glad for what we've got; we are always free to go elsewhere if the grass is greener there.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 30th, 2023), dneal (March 30th, 2023)

Thanks

Question Re: Dealing with spammers

But, at the end of the day, all it takes is one click and it is gone. And, when it comes from repeat offenders, such as our resident sicko (you know who), all it takes is a push of the ignore button and he is gone until he assumes some new user name...... at which point all one needs to do is to repeat the process.
    So, in a post today, someone replied to a spammer that I blocked. I've seen this happen a few times before. In today's reply, the spammer's message was quoted so, in effect, the block was useless. Not only do I not want to see messages from blocked users but I also don't want to see replies to their spam either. Sorry to write this but the replies to spammers are just as much a waste of my time and energy as the spam being replied to. And frustrating because, even though the blocked spammer's original message was hidden, the effort to block the spammer was effectively useless.

How can the folks who reply to spammers be persuaded not to do so?
    Last edited by PithyProlix; March 30th, 2023 at 06:57 AM.
    _____
    My pens for sale: https://facebook.com/jaiyen.pens

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PithyProlix For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 30th, 2023), JulieParadise (March 30th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (March 30th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PithyProlix View Post
    But, at the end of the day, all it takes is one click and it is gone. And, when it comes from repeat offenders, such as our resident sicko (you know who), all it takes is a push of the ignore button and he is gone until he assumes some new user name...... at which point all one needs to do is to repeat the process.
    So, in a post today, someone replied to a spammer that I blocked. I've seen this happen a few times before. In today's reply, the spammer's message was quoted so, in effect, the block was useless. Not only do I not want to see messages from blocked users but I also don't want to see replies to their spam either. Sorry to write this but the replies to spammers are just as much a waste of my time and energy as the spam being replied to. And frustrating because, even though the blocked spammer's original message was hidden, the effort to block the spammer was effectively useless.

They can't be persuaded to not reply to spammers. Just like they can't be persuaded to look at the original dates when new members post their first threads in the "Welcome to new members" forum and a spammer posts to resurrect that thread after many years. They just go in and say hello and welcome because they haven't noticed that the OP was a new member 8 years or so ago and hasn't been around since. Herry the biggest spammer of all has even been thanked 3 times by other members. Spam is just intended to cause an annoyance for others and that's why it does so.

Farmboy I might have agreed with your point about the fact that someone must be doing something here until Eric completely ignored the fact that February was InCoWriMo. No mention of his own baby was made on his own forum for the first year ever since he has been running it.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

JulieParadise (March 30th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

That particular spammer is not a spambot, but rather is a member who purportedly quit FPGeeks after yet one more one of his repeated meaningless goodbyes. Predictably, he’s having another one of his passive-aggressive grudge tantrums by filling the forum with unoriginal BS posts. His patterns are only one giveaway, and later he’ll go into a regret and cover-up stage and delete posts. Tiresome and stupid, but harmless. Eric seems to like it.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

724Seney (March 30th, 2023), Chrissy (March 30th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (March 30th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,112 Times in 573 Posts

There is another board. I guess if you can put up with the ads, there is a lot of activity. You can even get points there for posts elsewhere that offend.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,387 Times in 1,698 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post

They can't be persuaded to not reply to spammers. Just like they can't be persuaded to look at the original dates when new members post their first threads in the "Welcome to new members" forum and a spammer posts to resurrect that thread after many years. They just go in and say hello and welcome because they haven't noticed that the OP was a new member 8 years or so ago and hasn't been around since. Herry the biggest spammer of all has even been thanked 3 times by other members. Spam is just intended to cause an annoyance for others and that's why it does so.

Farmboy I might have agreed with your point about the fact that someone must be doing something here until Eric completely ignored the fact that February was InCoWriMo. No mention of his own baby was made on his own forum for the first year ever since he has been running it.
    I've been guilty of knee-jerk necroposting. But then I kick myself.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 30th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

There is another board. I guess if you can put up with the ads, there is a lot of activity. You can even get points there for posts elsewhere that offend.
    Points? Can they be exchanged for rewards like a toaster or cash back?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (March 30th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post

I haven't noticed that particularly and even if you might have ever kicked yourself you are such a long term experienced member that you know how to go back and fix things.
    All posts on here can forever be easily deleted and even thanks made in error are forever removable. It's not a big deal.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Points? Can they be exchanged for rewards like a toaster or cash back?
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Doggy Daddy (April 1st, 2023)

Thanks

Jon you're showing your age there.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 30th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

Jon you're showing your age there.
    Hell, I show my age everywhere.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 31st, 2023), empliau (April 23rd, 2023), Stands on Feet (March 30th, 2023), TSherbs (March 30th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,387 Times in 1,698 Posts

Ah, but does anyone remember King Korn Stamps?

I can't get the jingle out of my head.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,379 Times in 586 Posts

Ah yes, the good old days. Here's a commercial from when I was knee-high to a grasshopper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxrCjmqRTz0

I tried to embed the video, but it wouldn't take.
    Last edited by calamus; March 31st, 2023 at 06:27 PM.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    I thought necroposting was mailing letters after you were already dead.

P. S. I kick myself too. Heck, I even shoot myself in the foot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    Ah yes, the good old days. Here's a commercial from when I was knee-high to a grasshopper:

Maybe you tried a different icon? The last one in the 4th box along from the left on my second row is the Insert Video icon. It only works for YouTube videos

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Deb (April 1st, 2023), JulieParadise (April 1st, 2023)

Thanks

Maybe you tried a different icon? The last one in the 4th box along from the left on my second row is the Insert Video icon. It only works for YouTube videos
    My 4th box is insert image; insert video is the 5th. On my computer (a Macintosh) the first box in the last row is Link, #2 is Email, #3 is Unlink, #4 is Insert Image, #5 is Insert Video, and #6 is Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text. I tried several times using the Insert Video icon, and got nothing, just a blank expanse of white about the size of the video image.

Ah ha! It works, but takes maybe a couple of minutes or so for the video to show up!

Thanks

[QUOTE=calamus;392629]

My 4th box is insert image; insert video is the 5th. On my computer (a Macintosh) the first box in the last row is Link, #2 is Email, #3 is Unlink, #4 is Insert Image, #5 is Insert Video, and #6 is Wrap
    tags around selected text. I tried several times using the Insert Video icon, and got nothing, just a blank expanse of white about the size of the video image.

Ah ha! It works, but takes maybe a couple of minutes or so for the video to show up!
    I think my response might have been confusing. I'm using a Mac. When I'm in Go Advanced I see three different and separate rows across the top of the reply box. The middle row has 4 boxes along it's length and my Insert Video icon is the last icon inside the 4th box that contains several different icons.