Thread: Chinese Pens. Not what you think.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Default Chinese Pens. Not what you think.

Long before the modern consumer age where China is a principle suppliers of consumer goods, China had a bureaucracy that needed written records. Almost everything was handwritten by pen. They had factories turning out work-a-day pens for the bureaucrats. The factories that now turn out Hero used to be Parker. They did not need beautiful materials or brass bodies. China has a very large population of students workers and bureaucrats who all needed to write so was a natural place for pen manufacturers to operate. What we see in the west of all the pretty offerings on eBay are just a tip of the iceberg concerning Chinese and Asian pen usage and consumption. If you came into the fountain pen world recently and forums like this and eBay are your only exposure you might think that Chinese is all use beautiful and flashy pens. But the recent creations since 1990 are all for the western tastes and market.

chipark503a.jpg

This pen was made in 1954 at a factory nationalized from Parker. It is a button filler similar to the earlier Duofolds. Capped it is 5 3/16 inches from jewel to jewel. The nib is 10 karat gold. I received this pen in 1995 while I was living in China. It was chosen symbolically because it was made in the year of my birth. I can't say what the barrel material is but it has a hard feel like Bakelite. It definitely does not feel like resin or any of the plastics you might find on a Duofold or Parker 51 of the time. As you can see from the pictures the imprint is very strong and unworn. It is too small for my hands now and so is just a museum piece. This is a work-a-day pen which was in continuous production for many years with little variation. I think this particular pen having a 10K nib rather than plated would have been for a higher ranking bureaucrat.

chipark503b.jpg
    chipark503c.jpg
    chipark503d.jpg
    chipark503e.jpg

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

catbert (March 2nd, 2023), Cyril (July 11th, 2023), Deb (March 2nd, 2023), Jon Szanto (March 2nd, 2023), Lloyd (March 3rd, 2023), manoeuver (March 3rd, 2023), mizgeorge (March 2nd, 2023), Robalone (March 2nd, 2023), Robert (March 2nd, 2023), RobJohnson (March 2nd, 2023), Stands on Feet (March 2nd, 2023), Wile E Coyote (March 2nd, 2023), Yazeh (March 2nd, 2023)

Thanks

Default Re: Chinese Pens. Not what you think.

Thanks for posting. I love historical items such as this, anything with a back story.

I think I have seen this pen before, about 15 years ago there was an eBay seller, possibly from Taiwan rather than Mainland China who was selling these pens by the truckload at $1 each plus a nominal amount for p and p. I bought two but the feeds crumbled immediately on use.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RobJohnson For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (March 3rd, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,254 Times in 562 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Thanks for posting. I love historical items such as this, anything with a back story.

I think I have seen this pen before, about 15 years ago there was an eBay seller, possibly from Taiwan rather than Mainland China who was selling these pens by the truckload at $1 each plus a nominal amount for p and p. I bought two but the feeds crumbled immediately on use.
    That would not surprise me. They made an awful lot of them. There were in production for a long time, at least until late 196x. They don't all crumble, or at least I have seen them in successful use. I don't know how reliable or long lasting this would be. I used it for about a week a long time ago and found it moderately serviceable, and have no plans to use it again. It was a gift so I keep it in my pen museum. The story of how it came into my possession is actually rather interesting and I should write an essay about it one day.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scrawler For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (March 3rd, 2023), RobJohnson (March 2nd, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

That is a really nice looking pen.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

I have the modern version of this pen, a Gold Star 28, and find it very comfortable to hold and write with.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to OCArt For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (March 2nd, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,346 Times in 357 Posts

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robalone For This Useful Post:

catbert (March 27th, 2023), Deb (March 28th, 2023), Lloyd (March 29th, 2023)