Thread: Noodler's Tchaikovsky

Thanks
    Thanked 6,251 Times in 2,256 Posts

Cool Noodler's Tchaikovsky

Noodler's Tchaikovsky is a bulletproof/fluorescent, muted purple ink, belonging to the Russian series. It's more expensive than traditional Noodle's inks.

A bit about the composer:

Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky, (7 May 1840 – 6 November 1893), well known for his Swan Lake and Nutcracker ballets.

It is ironic that one of the greatest Russian composers was educated for a career as a civil servant as music wasn't a viable option at his time. Even more ironic his music wasn't “Russian” enough for some of his compatriots.

I was 11 or 12, when I discovered his violin concerto, by the legendary Nathan Milstein. It remains to this day, one of my favorite concertos.

and soon after I discovered his First piano concerto in the electrifying 1941 version, with Vladimir Horowitz and Arturo Toscanini. It is a recording that will never age.

I could go on and on about Tchaikovsky, but this is an ink review after all, and to paraphrase a movie quote, I doubt this ink would make classical music lovers fans of fountain pens or ink lovers fan of Tchaikovsky's music 😅

I’m not sure why Mr. Tardiff used this muted purple to represent Tchaikovsky. Like most bulletproof inks it doesn't shade and like most fluorescent inks, it's well behaved and easy to clean. Though it can and will stain demonstrators, which with a touch of Doyou or Noodler's Red Eel, it could be fixed, if you really insist on using this ink with a transparent section :😜

Let's start with the chroma:
    Chroma.jpeg

I really love muted purples, it has a silver haze about it on Tomoe River 68gr:
    81AD7841-BE45-4487-8A37-AE8D0223A1EA.jpg

Writing samples:
    All quotes are by Tchaikovsky.
    lTR 68gr.jpgMidori.jpgRhodia.jpg
    Hammermill Printer Paper, Premium Multipurpose Paper 20 lb paper.
    cheap - front.jpgcheap - front 1.jpg
    Comparison:
    Comparaison.jpg

Excellent waterproofness. Ink didn't budges under running water:

Watertest.jpeg

And finally a sketch, a homage to some of Tchaikovsky's oeuvres. (Swan Lake/ Piano Concerto #1, Nutcracker, And Queen of Spades, opera)
    Sketch.jpeg
    And the fluorescence

· Pens used: Pilot Kakuno (Ef /Stub) Lamy Safari (Ef/F/M/B) / Jinaho 450 with an Ultraflex nib/ Jinhao 450 fude
    · What I liked: Wet ink, muted purple, with the silver haze, well behaved.
    · What I did not like: Nothing much.
    · Shading: Only with fude nib.
    · Ghosting: This ink is best for coated paper.
    · Bleed through: Same as above.
    · Flow Rate: Excellent
    · Lubrication: Excellent
    · Nib Dry-out: None.
    · Start-up: None.
    · Saturation: Muted
    · Shading Potential: You can’t have it all
    · Sheen: none.
    · Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: Didn’t notice.
    · Nib Creep / “Crud”: No.
    · Staining (pen): It’s a purple ink, so it would stain. Though a bit of Sailor Doyou/ or Noodle's Red Eel will clean it up.
    · Clogging: No
    · Cleaning: Surprisingly very easy
    · Water resistance: Excellent
    · Availability: 3 oz/ 90 ml bottles

Please don't hesitate to comment or share your experience with this ink. The more the merrier

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (May 19th, 2023), catbert (March 13th, 2023), Chrissy (March 14th, 2023), countrydirt (March 13th, 2023), dneal (March 13th, 2023), junglejim (May 19th, 2023), LizEF (May 18th, 2023), Lloyd (March 13th, 2023), PithyProlix (March 14th, 2023)

Thanks

Default Re: Noodler's Tchaikovsky

Noodler's inks are well-known for their low cost, wide range of colors, and good performance on more absorbent substrates that are not generally uno online suitable for fountain pens. They are also noted for their remarkable label art, which features one-of-a-kind designs that frequently represent their creator's deeply held political and economic ideas.