Thread: EFNIR: Pilot Mixable Colour Turquoise

Thanks
    Thanked 1,414 Times in 586 Posts

Default EFNIR: Pilot Mixable Colour Turquoise

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Pilot Mixable Colour Turquoise

This is review #273 in my series. Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: This is close to the standard turquoise, but with a slight difference that I can't describe, but that I like.

As with my other cartridges from this pack, a bit had evaporated, so I added a few drops of distilled water to top off the cartridge to where the disc was. This ink feathered in the dot grid pages of my 2024 Hobonichi Techo A6! That should be the same as the daily pages (which have not feathered) and should be the new/current Tomoe River paper! Also feathered a little on Rhodia and Rhodia premium. (After finishing the review, I topped off the cartridge with water - it's now about 1 part water to 3 parts ink - and moved it to an EF Kakuno. Handled dilution very well, behaves much better diluted - no feathering noticed. Still takes eternity to dry.)

Cleaning was quick and easy with plain water. The microscope slide was dullsville.

(Erratum: "I" should be "It".)

Zoomed in photo (Text is a little too green.)

Screenshot (Color is pretty close. This is closest to what my eyes see.)

Scan of Completed Review (Text is slightly too green.)

Absorbent Paper Close-up (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper) (Color isn't too far off; my eyes don't see that "glow" around the text. )

Line width (The "I" in "Ink:". Magnification is 100x. The grid is 100x100µm. The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each. The line width for this ink is roughly 324µm. With 273 inks measured, the average line width is 296µm.)

Other (Ink is diluted to about 1 part water to 3 parts ink. Pen was Pilot Kakuno EF. Done for InesF's Monthly Ink Challenge on FPN.)

Previous Review: KWZ El Dorado.

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

View a list of my inks, complete with review results in a google sheet.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh? Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!
    Last edited by LizEF; February 20th, 2024 at 01:29 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

catbert (February 20th, 2024), forester (February 20th, 2024), junglejim (March 28th, 2024), Lloyd (February 21st, 2024), Sailor Kenshin (February 20th, 2024), Yazeh (February 20th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,324 Posts

Default Re: EFNIR: Pilot Mixable Colour Turquoise

I'd say it doesn't have enough green to be a real turquoise, but I really like that color!

Thanks for another great review.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

LizEF (February 20th, 2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    I'd say it doesn't have enough green to be a real turquoise, but I really like that color!
    It is slightly more blue than the standard turquoises (Waterman, Sheaffer, Lamy, Pelikan 4001), but I think my images aren't showing it well. The next turquoise review (Pelikan 4001) has the same problem - like the cameras all want to make it some other color.

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    Thanks for another great review.
    You're very welcome!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,503 Times in 1,754 Posts

A. Love your sketch!

B. Love the story turn.

C. Have many comparison inks, Sheaffer, Lamy, etc. and probably a cartridge of the Pilot.

D. Eerie moanin' in background.

Thanks, Liz. Looking forward to the next! And thanks for turning on the light bulb above my head; everything I write is evidently about Home. Even if it's sci-fant.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

LizEF (February 20th, 2024), Lloyd (February 21st, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,330 Times in 2,282 Posts

Another excellent review
    I hope the Pilot mixable inks are at their end, they have all the qualities I don't like.

Love the drawing. I guess making grape popsicles paid off

Thanks for making this Tuesday lighter 🙏

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

LizEF (February 20th, 2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post

A. Love your sketch!

B. Love the story turn.

C. Have many comparison inks, Sheaffer, Lamy, etc. and probably a cartridge of the Pilot.

D. Eerie moanin' in background.

Thanks, Liz. Looking forward to the next! And thanks for turning on the light bulb above my head; everything I write is evidently about Home. Even if it's sci-fant.
    A. Thank you!

B. Thank you!

C. They seem to be everywhere, these turquoise inks.

D.

You're most welcome. "Home" has a very significant impact on our lives, for good or ill.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (February 20th, 2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Another excellent review
    Thanks!

I hope the Pilot mixable inks are at their end, they have all the qualities I don't like.
    :cringe: Sorry. There are 4 left, one of which I will put in my pen later today - but it'll be 6 weeks before you see the review. And there are no others scheduled to publish before then. But I am trying to work through these cartridges before they evaporate entirely.

Love the drawing. I guess making grape popsicles paid off
    Thank you! Up until I was 6, we lived across the driveway from my grandparents (Mom's side). Then we moved to another state. Every time we went back to visit, while the grown-ups were in the house visiting, grandpa would take us kids out to the garage (where there was a huge deep freeze into which all three of us would have fit twice), dig up a big bag of popsicles, and let us have our pick. He'd always say, "Now don't tell Grandma." Grape and root beer were my favorites. One year he was out of popsicles, so we all walked to the grocery store with him. Grandpa never let us go without popsicles.

Thanks for making this Tuesday lighter 🙏
    You're most welcome!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (February 21st, 2024), Yazeh (February 20th, 2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LizEF View Post

Thank you! Up until I was 6, we lived across the driveway from my grandparents (Mom's side). Then we moved to another state. Every time we went back to visit, while the grown-ups were in the house visiting, grandpa would take us kids out to the garage (where there was a huge deep freeze into which all three of us would have fit twice), dig up a big bag of popsicles, and let us have our pick. He'd always say, "Now don't tell Grandma." Grape and root beer were my favorites. One year he was out of popsicles, so we all walked to the grocery store with him. Grandpa never let us go without popsicles.
    Funny how as simple act of kindness of these amazing grandparents keeps us going until this day. My grandma was the Queen of ice cream

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

LizEF (February 20th, 2024), Sailor Kenshin (February 20th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,503 Times in 1,754 Posts

Funny how as simple act of kindness of these amazing grandparents keeps us going until this day. My grandma was the Queen of ice cream
    My grandmother was The Empress of Kamikaze Driving and Never Even Trading Paint (among other things). I adored her.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

LizEF (February 20th, 2024), Lloyd (February 21st, 2024), Yazeh (February 20th, 2024)

Thanks

And it's funny the things you remember. I can still see that garage and the deep freeze, still see a scene as we approached the grocery store. It's a good life lesson - give people happy memories, as best you can manage.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Lloyd (February 21st, 2024), Sailor Kenshin (February 20th, 2024), Yazeh (February 20th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,078 Times in 4,024 Posts

Thank you, as always. Even when I don't have any interest in a particular ink, your examination of it is always interesting to read about. There is one little thing in your first post:

"As with my other cartridges from this pack, a bit had diluted..."

I think you meant "evaporated".
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Thank you, as always. Even when I don't have any interest in a particular ink, your examination of it is always interesting to read about.
    You're very welcome, and thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    There is one little thing in your first post:

"As with my other cartridges from this pack, a bit had diluted..."

I think you meant "evaporated".
    Ooops! Yes, I did mean evaporated! Fixing now! Thank you!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (February 20th, 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,262 Posts

A big Tuesday thank you Liz for another thorough review - and unusually, one for an ink I've actually used as intended. I wouldn't say I ever mastered the blending these are supposed to be able to do with parallel pens, but I did try, albeit without a great deal of success.

I'm not going to go down the 'what is turquoise?' rabbit-hole, but I've always happily considered this more cyan than anything else, and I quite like it.

Thank you also for another intriguing twist in the tale. These do so brighten my otherwise very mundane Tuesday afternoons.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (February 20th, 2024)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post

My grandmother was The Empress of Kamikaze Driving and Never Even Trading Paint (among other things). I adored her.
    Same as my grandpa. They must have been related

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (February 20th, 2024)