Thread: De Atramentis Document Turquoise

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,321 Times in 2,277 Posts

Cool De Atramentis Document Turquoise

This is the review of Document Turquoise, which will be soon followed by its Artist sibling. If you were to choose one for writing purposes, get a sample of this one.

I am not enamoured by this ink. I don't know if it's the colour, or it's behaviour, or simply it's lack of character. Or maybe I'm inky saturated
    It is decent document ink, too wet with wet/wide nib combos. With fude (bent Chinese /Japanese nibs) it wrote like flip-flops on ice

Ink won't work with cheap/absorbent paper and it will feather and fly away.

Colour is slightly lighter than Artist Turquoise, and less wet.
    Document and Artist inks can be mixed, so they are perfect for Artists or those who like to mix their own inks.
    Document inks are slightly “more” archival than Artist inks, in my correspondence with De Atramentis.

Chroma:

Chroma 1.jpg
    Writing Samples

Scan for Midori is too green.
    Tr 68gr.jpgRhodia.jpgMIdori.jpg
    Comparison:
    Comparaison.jpg
    Nothing did budge the ink under running water:
    lWatertest - document.jpeg
    I wasn't really inspired to do a sketch. This is done on a Canson watercolour paper. By wetting the paper with a brush adding ink, and removing extra colour with a paper towel....
    document - sketch.jpeg

· Pens used: Pilot Kakuno (Ef /Stub) Lamy Safari (Ef/F/M/B) / Jinaho 450 with an Ultraflex nib/ and fude nib
    · What I liked: Writing with a broad nib only. I was taking notes and had my pen uncapped for 5 minutes, no dry outs. Very fast dry time on coated paper, especially with Fine nibs. It’s good for dry pens.
    · What I did not like: Very wet, no character.
    · Shading: none
    · Ghosting: This ink is best for coated paper, with Ef – Broad nibs and dry pens. Don't use it with ebonite feed.
    · Bleed through: Same as above.
    · Flow Rate: Very wet
    · Lubrication: Excellent
    · Nib Dry-out: None.
    · Start-up: None.
    · Saturation: Eh
    · Shading Potential: None
    · Sheen: None.
    · Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: With a primed nib, you can have some feathers, even on coated papers.
    · Nib Creep / “Crud”: No.
    · Staining (pen): It didn't stain my convertor. But I used it only for a week.
    · Clogging: No
    · Cleaning: It was fairly straightforward, like "normal" inks. However, long term I don't know.
    · Water resistance: Excellent
    · Availability: 45 ml bottles.

Please don't hesitate to share your experience, writing samples or any other comments. The more the merrier

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (March 18th, 2023), catbert (March 18th, 2023), Chrissy (March 19th, 2023), junglejim (March 21st, 2023), LizEF (March 18th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (March 18th, 2023), sospiro (March 19th, 2023)