Thread: EFNIR: Koh-I-Noor Document Black

Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 580 Posts

Default EFNIR: Koh-I-Noor Document Black

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Koh-I-Noor Document Black

This is review #225 in my series. Here's the YouTube video:

Post-recording notes: This was a cartridge, gifted to me from a generous FPNer. I used the Penmanship body in case the ink stains. It did stain the plastic pipette I used to get the ink from the original, really long standard international cartridge into a Pilot cartridge, but then, you can't get anything inside one of my mini pipettes to rub it clean... Cleaning was a bear. Exposed areas come clean with rubbing, but in the section, where the cartridge fits, it would not come off. I tried pen flush, a pipe cleaner, and the ultrasonic cleaner on the section and could not remove the stain from that area.

The ink has a distinct blue-leaning green color in it - enough that I also did chromatography. It also likes to bubble / froth, so I'm guessing there's a flow or lubrication aid in it.

Errata: In the writing sample, "It's message paper," should not be in cursive. I just forgot to go back to printing.

Zoomed in photo (Text is just a bit too dark.)

Screenshot (Text a little too dark, not quite enough green.)

Scan of Completed Review (Very close. Possibly not enough green. Possibly a little to light.)

Absorbent Paper Close-up (top is puzzle paper like thick newsprint, bottom is old 20lb copy paper) (AP: Pretty close; CP: lacking green)

Line width (One of the lines used for dry time. Magnification is 100x. The grid is 100x100µm. The scale is 330µm, with eleven divisions of 30µm each. The line width for this ink is roughly 305µm. With 225 inks measured, the average line width is 295µm.)

Microscope image (100x. The dark color at the top left isn't quite right, but the main point was the cool wavy swirls in the light part.)

Microscope image (100x, cell phone through eyepiece. The color is too yellow - especially in the green portion - but that was the only way to show you that edge of bright blue, which is very close to the color my eyes saw.)

Microscope image (100x, cell phone through eyepiece. One corner of the slide. Brains and a maze. The dark lines in the maze had a hint of the coppery sheen (to my eyes). The tealish color at the top is close to the undertone of this ink.)

Water Test Results (The teal shade on the "written ju" text smear is more obvious to my eyes.)

Other (Left is a close-up photo, right is a scan. My eyes see a hint of bright blue along with the grey-green.)

Previous Review: Colorverse Sea of Tranquillity.

Images also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

View a list of my inks, complete with review results in a google sheet.

Need to catch up on The Adventures of Quin and Makhabesh? Find the whole story here.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

catbert (March 21st, 2023), dneal (March 21st, 2023), junglejim (March 21st, 2023), TSherbs (March 21st, 2023), Yazeh (March 21st, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,270 Times in 2,263 Posts

Default Re: EFNIR: Koh-I-Noor Document Black

Great review @LIzEf
    I'm sorry to hear that it stained your pen. I'm glad that Quin can text in a magical way and sorry his Pa has mold plague. I hope it's not SITB
    Last edited by Yazeh; March 21st, 2023 at 08:26 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Great review @LIzEf
    Thanks!

I'm sorry to hear that it stained your pen.
    Well, it wasn't bad, and that's always the risk of demonstrators - and in some ways, the Pilot section with that tab to hold the cartridge converter and behind which even a pipe cleaner can't easily reach, is just asking for it!

I'm glad that Quin can text in a magical way and sorry his Pa has mold plague. I hope it's not SITB

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (March 21st, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,745 Posts

Whoah. Fractionating brains? Polar ice caps?

This ink seems naggingly familiar. Or at least the name does. If it's hard to clean I might have to dedicate a pen. But poor Quin! He had better get moving.

Thanks as always for your unique reviews and the wonderful story.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Whoah. Fractionating brains? Polar ice caps?

This ink seems naggingly familiar. Or at least the name does. If it's hard to clean I might have to dedicate a pen.
    Probably from one of Yazeh's reviews. IMO, as long as your pen isn't a demonstrator, it won't be so bad.

But poor Quin! He had better get moving.

Thanks as always for your unique reviews and the wonderful story.
    You're very welcome!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (March 21st, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

Awesome pics (again), Liz. Me no like the color, tho. I don't appreciate dark green, much, especially not when it masquerades as "black."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Awesome pics (again), Liz. Me no like the color, tho. I don't appreciate dark green, much, especially not when it masquerades as "black."
    Thanks, T! Well, in plain writing, without smears and with nothing else on the page, it would likely look dark grey. It would only be either the smearing, water damage, or having the right other ink next to it that you would suspect the green undertone. Nonetheless, if you dislike non-black blacks, then definitely stay away from this one. There's just enough non-black to make it obvious that this isn't a black black.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (March 21st, 2023)