Thread: Sheaffer Prototypes (with pictures) - Anyone know more about them?

Thanks

Default Sheaffer Prototypes (with pictures) - Anyone know more about them?

I was fortunate enough to grab three pens that seem to be fairly difficult to find, but would welcome more info on them if anyone has it. I've searched online pretty extensively and corresponded with Gary Ellison and attempted to email Bill Sexauer since he was at one point the preeminent Targa collector (but received no response).

Anyhow, one is the Sheaffer Targa Peacock Blue Ronce which is documented/pictured on the Sheaffer Targa site. It differs from the regular blue ronce in that the lines are green instead of a different shade of blue. Another is a slimline Targa in a color that isn't on Gary Ellison's website. I sent him an email and he responded that these were indeed prototypes, but he didn't have a name for the color of the slimline (maybe beige/sand swirl?). Looking through some old forum posts (and I mean 10+ years old here) where Bill/David Isaacson were discussing prototypes and Targas in general, I believe David posted a picture of a Targa he had acquired/photographed...can't find it now, and it's the only place I've seen it...and it wasn't specifically referenced as it was grouped with several other pens and just an "I got these prototypes" sort of post. So those are cool, but the last one is a Lady Sheaffer in what you'd normally think to be the Florentine pattern, except it isn't....the band is completely different...maybe a little less ornate than the Florentine, but I think it looks pretty classy. Gary seems to think that it's also a prototype, but I can't find any mention, pictures, or anything of it anywhere. Anyone know anything about this pen?

Background on the pens: A lady living in Fort Madison, Iowa passed away and they were acquired in an estate sale. Her name was available, so I was able to do a quick Google search and found that her husband, who had predeceased her in 2017, was an engineer (and possibly at one point he was a salesman) at Sheaffer for several years.

Lady Sheaffer with different band (not florentine prototype) - March 2023.jpgSheaffer Targa Prototypes - peacock blue ronce and beige sand targa.jpgLady Sheaffer prototype with different cap band (not florentine).jpg

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to moonamongus For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (April 27th, 2023), welch (April 1st, 2023)

Thanks

Default Re: Sheaffer Prototypes (with pictures) - Anyone know more about them?

All right, I shall take that as a no...

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

If you haven't contacted Jim Mamoulides of penhero.com, I would suggest that. Jim has done a number of articles for the PCA magazine "The Pennant" on Targa, Skripsert, Lady Sheaffer, other model line prototypes and one-offs.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

moonamongus (April 26th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 397 Posts

There's also SheafferTarga.com which has a reference list with pictures. The PCA Pennant has a library that is free to search. The articles that Jon mentioned are a series that appeared in the Pennant over the last year or two. I believe that the past issues can be found on line, but are accessible to members only.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 575 Posts

Back issues of the Pennant can be purchased and would make a nice welcome gift for new members!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks, Jon, I will certainly do that. The owner of SheafferTarga.com (or former now, it seems), Gary Ellison, has seen pictures of the pens and responded that he believes them to be prototypes, but beyond that he can't tell me much other than that he prefers the looks of my Lady Sheaffer to the Florentine model...haha! I encountered a Pennant magazine at the first pen show I ever went to last year and then had another run-in with an issue of the magazine at Dromgoole's when I was participating in my first Pelikan Hubs meet-up last year as well. Seems I may have to do a little more perusing of this publication, or maybe even consider subscribing if it contains worthwhile information as it appears to. Appreciate the feedback from everybody!