Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Gender and the law

Thanks
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 632 Posts

Default Re: Gender and the law

Why do those who claim to believe in Jesus offer such miserable examples of tolerance, compassion, and mercy?

Thanks

They have a different standard.

Thanks

One can be tolerant of a practice that can ultimately destroy the soul. As the old saying goes, friends don’t let friends…..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Why do those who claim to believe in Jesus offer such miserable examples of tolerance, compassion, and mercy?
    Where is your compassion, tolerance, and mercy for those that abuse children? Is your tolerance only with those for which you agree. This is quite different from true compassion. You, Ted, me, and everyone needs mercy.

What about the compassion for the unborn, children sitting through a drag read, or young women who have trained for a sport for years only to have a person with superior strength, that might not otherwise be a champion, beat them in a race?

The issue isn't that disciples of Jesus do not have tolerance or compassion, or mercy. We certainly do. What happened in this topic is I took could see it from both sides.

So, how does the atheist deal with the deaths of millions of unborn, drag workers forcing themselves on children, and females having to compete against the bodies of men? There are not easy answers, but at least there should be some objectivity from them.

I've got his book coming, but Peterson, as always explains it better than I could, "And yet I decide, every day, to set aside what I can do best and attempt what I do very clumsily--open myself to the frustrations and failures of loving, daring to believe that failing in love is better than succeeding in pride.” Discipleship is not easy, but it is worth whatever effort is required. If my motivation was to get along with the world, I am motivated by the wrong thing.

This is good, more thoughts. Thanks for the opportunity. What is the most loving, tolerant, and respectful manner to treat drag performers and trans athletes competing against a physically weaker person? Does tolerance and empathy only allow people to do what they want? Is this tolerance? I don't expect an answer, but it is a profound consideration.

Yet, two questions that no one has answered, why would a drag performer want to entertain children and why would a person, regardless of gender identify, want to compete against others with obvious physical disadvantages. So much for secular empathy. This is the same mentality I experienced as a teen when the atheist English teacher was so bold to come against my faith. He left me with no where to turn. Where was his compassion and empathy? The answer is simple, he had none. Fortunately, eight years later, Jesus showed up.

Now, would a drag performer want a drag performer in front of their child?

Would a trans man with a female child want a trans man competing against his daughter?
    Last edited by Chuck Naill; May 26th, 2023 at 09:12 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Sadly, I see the same pattern of balkanization going on the the US around LGBTQ+ issues and the law: states are moving further apart from each other, in the same way that countries are around the world:

Growing gap between countries article, in TheConversation

Interestingly, and ironically, Uganda's president said that criminalizing people according to what they wear was going too far, but "promoting homosexuality" was a crime.

Thanks

Gifted WAPO column on boycotting stores that include items marketed to trans persons:

https://wapo.st/3IHoM4f

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Gifted WAPO column on boycotting stores that include items marketed to trans persons:

https://wapo.st/3IHoM4f
    The thing is Teddie, you all created this monster and, now, you have to dance with it.
    If you and all your bleeding heart buds hadn't made such a big frikkin' deal about it, stuff like this would have gone unnoticed and life could have gone on for the trans people.
    But, nooooooo, that approach just won't work for the ultra left, it's no good unless it becomes your crusade du jour.
    As I said the other day, you all have created more misery for trans persons than you have helped their cause.
    Congrats.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

Chuck Naill (May 29th, 2023), dneal (May 30th, 2023)

Thanks

There is a belief that if someone is hurting, it is someone's fault. All we need is more knowledge and education to make it better. The Drag people, the trans, the heterosexual or homosexual just need to be understood and accommodated. I'm curious if all of the bigotry, as some think, went away, if the problems went merry away? I don't think it would. If the trans man gets a penis and the trans woman a vagina, are their problems solved. If the drag people get a gig with first graders, and no one protest, are we better off?

I tend to think the problem isn't physical and so physical remedies will not suffice.
    “He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” Micah 6:8

Thanks

More on the content-banning issue in Florida around gender: a law run amok:

USA Today article on parents and students and teachers pushing back

Interestingly, there are other cultures around the world that openly accept same-sex affection, including holding hands, in children and adults, and do not see it as homosexual (hetero-sexual men and women have done this in these cultures for centuries). They see it as affection, not sexualization. Seems like a healthy point of view to me. God (and DeSantis) forbid we have 5th graders see this kind of affection!!!!!!!

Thanks

“I am the Lord, I have called You in righteousness,
    I will also hold You by the hand and watch over You,
    And I will appoint You as a covenant to the people,
    As a light to the nations..."

"Nevertheless I am continually with You;
    You have taken hold of my right hand.

"But when the crowd had been sent out, He entered and took her by the hand, and the girl got up."
    “He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” Micah 6:8

Thanks

Putting it in quotes doesn't make that any more based in reality.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Sham righteousness. It is the root of much evil and cruelty in the world. When one thinks that a heaven exists, those who feel that they have priveleged access then justify all sorts of cruelties perpetrated on others.

Thanks

What would make it real for you?

Thanks

As another example, from my state, of how a man wearing a dress isn't the signal of the greatest threat to children:

Former Maine gubernatorial candidate going to jail

Cis men (and some women) dominate the actual world of threats to children. "Common sense" would follow the path of actual great harm. Suspicion and prejudice have their own damage upon individuals and upon society.

Thanks

I can’t agree. One threat doesn’t negate another. We are not talking about a man wearing a dress. Drag is a sexualized performance.

Thanks

As another example, from my state, of how a man wearing a dress isn't the signal of the greatest threat to children:

Former Maine gubernatorial candidate going to jail

Cis men (and some women) dominate the actual world of threats to children. "Common sense" would follow the path of actual great harm. Suspicion and prejudice have their own damage upon individuals and upon society.
    Another in a continuing series of absolutely moronic, uninformed statements by TSherbs.

Effectively, what he is saying is no different than opining that we spend too much time worrying about childhood infectious disease and nutrition.

Why do I say this?

Because his logic is tantamount to saying "common sense" would follow the path of actual great harm and focus on the three most common causes of death in children.....Accidents (unintentional injuries), Suicide (intentional self-harm) and Cancer......
    and stop worrying about stuff like nutrition and infectious diseases.

Sorry, but what you are recommending we blow off is not an "either / or issue" Teddie. It is a real threat that creates a clear & present danger.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

dneal (June 23rd, 2023), kazoolaw (June 1st, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    I can’t agree. One threat doesn’t negate another. We are not talking about a man wearing a dress. Drag is a sexualized performance.
    Wanda Sykes: “Until a drag queen walks into a school and beats eight kids to death with a copy of ‘To Kill A Mockingbird’, I think you’re focusing on the wrong shit.”

The "freedom" to own a gun seems to come with the acceptable social cost of dozens of thousands of death a year, including thousands of children (some even in schools). But the freedom of expression and self determination around one's gender identity can't seem to include a man in a dress reading a book in a library to children with parents in full agreement. Nope, legislatures seem hell-bent on denying parents (and some readers) that freedom of choice despite their being....zero deaths associated with that action. No, just some bruised sensibilities based mostly on neurotic fear of gender non-conformity.

Thanks

The reactionary vigor here reminds me of the reactionary vigor against blacks marrying whites ("the white race will be polluted with the blood of black morons and monkeys") and the reactionary vigor against gays receiving the right to marry ("Gay marriage will destroy hetero marriage and lead to legal unions with goats").

Adult persons of some education and literacy actually felt and said these kinds of things many many times. And were sincere.

Thanks

The reactionary vigor here reminds me of the reactionary vigor against blacks marrying whites ("the white race will be polluted with the blood of black morons and monkeys") and the reactionary vigor against gays receiving the right to marry ("Gay marriage will destroy hetero marriage and lead to legal unions with goats").

Adult persons of some education and literacy actually felt and said these kinds of things many many times. And were sincere.
    Ignore, divert and pivot.
    And, then, do it again.

And again.

And again.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 632 Posts

Moral Aikido: aikidō (“way of harmonizing energy”), martial art and self-defense system that resembles the fighting methods jujitsu and judo in its use of twisting and throwing techniques and in its aim of turning an attacker’s strength and momentum against himself. Pressure on vital nerve centres is also used. Aikido practitioners train to subdue, rather than maim or kill, but many of its movements can nevertheless be deadly. Aikido especially emphasizes the importance of achieving complete mental calm and control of one’s own body to master an opponent’s attack. As in other martial arts, the development of courtesy and respect is an integral part of aikido training.