Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Writing slope with a twist

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

Default Re: Writing slope with a twist

I wouldnt restore it before taking it to have it appraised. Restoring it my kill any value. If it has big value you could sell it, get more pens and another portable writing desk.

My fiances father passed in November. There was an old portable writing box like these with silver wire trim that is coming off. It was his mothers. She was a serious writer and had some books published. There was a secret compartment which after about two weeks of tinkering I figured out that there was a pin on the top of the ledge where the lid meets the bottom part. If you pull it out, it releases the lock of the secret drawer on the side. In it we found the last letter his mom wrote to him when he was young, it was basically a story and poem about her knowing she was sick and would not be around much more but wanted him to know how proud she was of him and how she loved him.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RayCornett For This Useful Post:

Hawk (July 10th, 2017), Mags (December 10th, 2014), Tracy Lee (June 25th, 2014), VertOlive (July 10th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,008 Times in 819 Posts

Hi Ray
    Normally I buy writing slopes that no one else wants in the case of this box I paid very little for it and will never sell it.
    I will only do a very basic restoration that will allow it to be used as it was intended.
    The brassware is too far gone to restore which is maybe why it was removed so I will be replacing that with new brass.

I did find documents in one box which I think is the first box in this thread.

Great story by the way thanks for sharing

Michael

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MY63 For This Useful Post:

Hawk (July 10th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MY63 View Post
    Here is the picture I should have taken yesterday with the drawers open

IMG_7572 by my0771, on Flickr

Thanks

Michael
    Thank you so much. I have my grandmothers writing slope and I never knew how to open the secret drawers until now. I have it years and nobody could figure it out!! Thank you

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RayCornett View Post
    I wouldnt restore it before taking it to have it appraised. Restoring it my kill any value. If it has big value you could sell it, get more pens and another portable writing desk.

My fiances father passed in November. There was an old portable writing box like these with silver wire trim that is coming off. It was his mothers. She was a serious writer and had some books published. There was a secret compartment which after about two weeks of tinkering I figured out that there was a pin on the top of the ledge where the lid meets the bottom part. If you pull it out, it releases the lock of the secret drawer on the side. In it we found the last letter his mom wrote to him when he was young, it was basically a story and poem about her knowing she was sick and would not be around much more but wanted him to know how proud she was of him and how she loved him.
    I have to hope he knew the letter was in there and he had kept this last reminder safe in the compartment.
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mags For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (December 10th, 2014)

Thanks

Amazing! WOW!
    -Ryan

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

Found this on Youtube... its short and to the point and shows a really cool mini chest

http://youtu.be/u__XGncVbM4

They really had a lot to hide back then I guess...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to earthdawn For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (December 11th, 2014)

Thanks

Great video thanks for sharing.
    I wish I could report that all of my writing slopes were finished unfortunately there has been no change.

close to geographical center of the nation
    Thanks

Thanks to you all for sharing, what an interesting thread. Learned a lot.
    Sandy
    We don't know what we don't know

Thanks

Default Re: Writing slope with a twist. -- Can you offer guidance?

Excellent project and results! Pictures here attached show my writing box minus the latching spring mechanism. What do I need to restore it to original operation? Thank you very much for any suggestions, ideas, or pointers. --GilbertMy writing box opened.jpg2-Mechanism, missing, cavity.jpg5-Inside sprng mechanism area, drawer removed, 50p.jpg1-Button-shaped hole under ink well, left partition removed.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by MY63 View Post
    I wanted to share with you my latest purchase which I bought it from ebay
    When advertised I could see the lower drawer had its own lock and the upper slope had an unusual little mechanism to hold it closed.

IMG_4779_1 by my0771, on Flickr

IMG_4781_1 by my0771, on Flickr

Ok I will get on to the exciting bit when the box arrived I took these pictures the panel for the secret compartment was jammed, there was a small piece of wood covering the release mechanism. I removed the wood and freed the mechanism pushed a piece of wood into the hole (bottom left of the picture below)

IMG_4784 by my0771, on Flickr

The flap sprung open

IMG_4785 by my0771, on Flickr

I don't anyone had been in here for some time

IMG_4786 by my0771, on Flickr

One of the secret drawers had a broken handle it took a little while to get it open but I did.

IMG_4787 by my0771, on Flickr

IMG_4788 by my0771, on Flickr

Marias bequest list

scan0001 by my0771, on Flickr

I have done some research on http://www.hygra.com/writing.html it would appear to have been made between 1780 and 1800.

Now all I have to do is restore it

Thanks

Michael

Thanks

Michael. Fantastic find. You seem to have a 'nose' for finding things.
    As some others have said, conserve the wroting slope. Later on some one may want it restored and they will have the opportunity to do so. If it were restored and later on they would want it original, one cannot go back in time.
    I basically like old stuff, as is. I would leave it alone
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

MY63 (July 11th, 2017)

Thanks

Hi Gilbert
    I will look at my boxes later this week and try to help you.
    Your third picture is that the view inside the slot with the drawers removed. If it is then those pieces of wood have been added to block off the holes that the release mechanism.
    More later.

Thanks

Ok let me see if I can explain this for you.
    The brass bar you are missing acts like a see saw pivoting in the centre. By the look of the position of the hole in your inkwell slot those pieces of wood glued inside the drawer area may have been the outer edge of the support for the brass bar.

20170711_162527[1] by my0771, on Flickr

As you can see the bar has a box around it and there will be a piece of wood inside for it to pivot on.

The shape of the bar is angled at the front to allow it to move upwards as the panel is pushed into place it will then drop down into place holding the panel in place with the aid of the piece of spring steel. When something is pushed into the hole the opposite end of the bar is pushed down lifting the front end and allowing the spring to push it open.

20170711_161226[1] by my0771, on Flickr

I hope this information helps

Michael