Page 3 of 178 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: What Pens(s) Are You Waiting For?

Thanks

Nope. This was an ebay purchase. I already have the one tyler dahl originally restored (bought it from someone else on fpn). The section is a bit loose and tyler graciously agreed to take a look at it for me. Maybe ill bring it to the show :P.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    Jitterbug? I have to say, that pen looks VERY uncomfortable and weird, though the idea of a vintage clip is cool..
    Can't be worse than the Passporta, which I already have.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

WEll, I tried the jettierbug at the LOng island pen show, and it's actually not as weird as I thought. I talked to barbra binder about it--she had some interesting things to say!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    WEll, I tried the jettierbug at the LOng island pen show, and it's actually not as weird as I thought. I talked to barbra binder about it--she had some interesting things to say!
    Do tell!

Thanks

My Lamy 2000 arrived today. Even the Awesome Review does not quite do it justice. It is going to be hard to write with anything else.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by writingrav View Post
    My Lamy 2000 arrived today. Even the Awesome Review does not quite do it justice. It is going to be hard to write with anything else.
    This is exactly what we like to hear! I'm very happy to hear you've added such a great pen to your collection and that you, too, think it's a great pen.

Thanks

Awaiting a Parker Duofold Jr.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,015 Times in 4,003 Posts

Two pens:

• A green Estie J transitional, bought mainly for the nib (2314-M) and to practice restoration
    • An Estie DipLess desk pen, which has the bonus of the seller writing after the winning bid that he discovered there were two pens, the second with a red Lucite stem (which I've been wanting A LOT) and he is throwing it in for free (partly because the nib is damages)

Should be some fun when they arrive. The last two pens that came a few days ago were prototype Celluloid pens from a Dutch company called "Pontiac", NOS pens from the 50's that had never seen the light of day. Great, full size pens with decent modern nibs (they didn't have nibs when the fellow bought the lot). Those pens have turned out to be a blast to ink up!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Two pens:

• A green Estie J transitional, bought mainly for the nib (2314-M) and to practice restoration
    • An Estie DipLess desk pen, which has the bonus of the seller writing after the winning bid that he discovered there were two pens, the second with a red Lucite stem (which I've been wanting A LOT) and he is throwing it in for free (partly because the nib is damages)

Should be some fun when they arrive. The last two pens that came a few days ago were prototype Celluloid pens from a Dutch company called "Pontiac", NOS pens from the 50's that had never seen the light of day. Great, full size pens with decent modern nibs (they didn't have nibs when the fellow bought the lot). Those pens have turned out to be a blast to ink up!
    Jon,

Could you post a picture of those Pontiacs? Despite being Dutch I have never heard of the brand and I couldn't find any information on it.

Thanks,
    Peter

May Your Force Be With You

If I mention a supplier, I am ONLY affiliated if I EXPLICITLY say so.

Thanks

I saw these in an ad placed both on FPN and the Fountain Pen Board. The description was as follows:

Some time ago I acquired a lot of beautiful large new old stock pen bodies. Bodies, because they came to me without nibs and without clips. The rest was complete, brand new, old unfinished stock from a forgotten Dutch Brand. The pens showed no branding, except for just 1 piece that I will keep for myself… That one has the brand name 'Pontiac' on the barrel. On page 334 of Andreas Lambrou's book Fountain Pens Of The World, Pontiac is in the large list of Dutch fountain pen manufactures, importers and locally assembled pens.

Actually a lot of these Dutch brands were assembled from parts that were manufactured mostly in Germany. This lot was such an assembly brand. I think this lot is (part of) an unfinished prototype series that has never been issued on the market.

The pens came in blue, green or golden brown, in a stunning herringbone pattern. The blue pens were just a small quantity and I have just 2 left that I want to keep in my own collection. The green and brown pens are available. I have 12 pieces of each of the 2 colors. The pens never saw ink, and were obviously very well stored. When I received them they were still in their original paper wrappers). The rubber sacs of the pens where almost all still in a perfect condition. In the few pens where the sacs were not 100% I changed them for modern silicone sacs.

I happened to have a small stock of clips that wonderfully fitted these pens. Finally I completed the pens with nice new gold plated steel nibs of the right size, with a smoothly writing F/M nib.

Here are the specs:

Origin: Netherlands/Germany
    Brand and Model: Presumably 'Pontiac'. No branding on the pens.
    Material: Cap and barrel: green, aqua blue or golden brown celluloid in a herringbone pattern.
    Top cap, blind cap, section and feeder: Hard Rubber (Ebonite).
    Cap rings and clip: gold plated brass.
    Nib: New GP steel IPG 'Paboluo' Iridium tipped M/F.
    Filling system: Button filler with the original large rubber sacs in perfect condition. Takes > 1.5 ml ink!
    Condition: Never used . Completed by me with N.O.S. clips and nibs.

All pens have been individually tested. They fill OK and are ready for writing.

Measures (in mm):
    length closed: 148
    posted: 172 (!), w/o cap: 129
    cap: 73
    diameter over barrel: 13.2
    diameter over cap: 14.7

img7440rg.jpg

img7442f.jpg

One of the pens is a completely great writer, and the other just needs a bit of tweaking to the nib. Being celluloid pens, they aren't particularly heavy, but because of their size and girth, they feel very comfortable in hand. the 'ring' of the clip isn't a perfect fit - it's a tiny bit too big, and sticks out from the pen by just the tiniest of margins, but these were not so expensive that I felt "hey, here's a chance to have something fairly unique". And I'm glad I got them.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; March 16th, 2012 at 12:43 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Mr. Reader (May 10th, 2016), Tim Payne (May 17th, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I saw those and was going to inquire about the blue one until the QA section had a post about it being sold already.

I am waiting on a pen from India. Hari sold me a Airmail/Wality "Black Beauty" FP-Piston Filler, the flat top version. He had actually already sold the one flat top he had for sale and decided to let me take the pen from his personal collection.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

got parker duofold junior!!!

Thanks

Now waiting for a sailor Sapporo clear demonstrator with a music nib.

Thanks

Got the Montblanc 34 (mint condition, stub/b gold nib) and the 60's Stella (mint condition m/f nib). I also got another package ^^
    Last edited by Pinkys.Brain; March 17th, 2012 at 04:19 AM.

Thanks

@Jon - These are great-looking pens! And if they write well, nice catch! I did find the mention in Lambrou's book, but that's really all it is: a mention. Next time I see the Akkerman store's sales manager I'm still going to ask him. He is a virtual walking Pencyclopedia.

Cheers,
    Peter

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterpen53 View Post
    Next time I see the Akkerman store's sales manager I'm still going to ask him. He is a virtual walking Pencyclopedia.
    Yeah, I looked in Andy's book, too, for deeper info, but alas. I'll be curious if you come up with anything else, let me know either through PM or back on a thread. I sure with I could get a bottle or two of that Akkerman ink in the amazing bottles, but I think shipping and taxes to the US just adds up to too much.

I wish Akkerman had a presence on the web, but I think they are very "old world".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Yeah, I looked in Andy's book, too, for deeper info, but alas. I'll be curious if you come up with anything else, let me know either through PM or back on a thread. I sure with I could get a bottle or two of that Akkerman ink in the amazing bottles, but I think shipping and taxes to the US just adds up to too much.

I wish Akkerman had a presence on the web, but I think they are very "old world".
    Indeed they are, which does not mean to say they are not customer-friendly. But when I was there early January I heard they would be redesigning their website, to get more of a web-presence. Don't think they are in a hurry though. But perhaps they are feeling some competition from "La Couronne du Compte", more to the south of the country. Its owner is much younger and he started out as a webstore from his home some 4 or 5 years ago and opened a B&M store only about 2 years ago. He offers a wide range of brands, including the high-end ones I used to buy at Akkerman's, and he has built himself a stellar reputation for customer service (no affiliation, just recently experienced it myself). And BTW, he offers Iroshizuku at € 30/bottle, which is why...

I feel for you on the Akkerman ink. These are great bottles and very handy when you have to fill your pen from the last bit. Their shipping charges are probably so high because these are large bottles (150 ml) and I'm sure they would pack them very securely.
    I also heard a rumor that their ink is supplied by Diamine, but it was unclear whether the coulours were proprietary or standard. If you are mainly interested in this type of bottle you might like to know that they were fashioned after the old Jif-Waterman bottles (these were round, the Akkerman bottles are octagonal). This model was later adopted by Gimborn until 1934 and later made in the faceted form from 1936 to 1965 (information taken from the book Akkerman published at their centenary 2 years ago). Perhaps a search on eBay or a visit to a flea market or antique shop might get you something.

Cheers,
    Peter

Thanks

Thanks, Peter, for all that local info. I certainly don't have any problem with a business that hasn't completely embraced the net, I just know that it will have to be done at some point to compete with others, as you so well document.

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath for one of those bottles, though I think if someone came up with a design like this just to sell so you could pour your favorite ink into, it would do well. I'll keep my eyes out for the following...

jif_waterman.JPG

Thanks

Two more Pelikan M620s, a Shanghai and a Madrid

Thanks

Another cheap (ebay: 18,50€) German fountain pen from the 60's: Geha 790 school fountain pen, piston filler with a stell M(?) nib, ink reservoir...

The pen has a name engraved, but I can live with that. Maybe I can carefully remove that...

Last FP shopping before Japan.
    Last edited by Pinkys.Brain; March 19th, 2012 at 01:34 PM.