Thread: My Gold and Ebonite Pens Currently

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Default My Gold and Ebonite Pens Currently

These are the restored pens I currently have that are either gold-filled metal, or has a hard rubber (Ebonite) body (and their companion pencils).

Currently inked is the "Swan Pen" (early 1920s) in the third slot, and the Waterman 55 in the 4th from the right slot. The Platinum Izumo technically counts because it is an Ebonite body and cap, coated in urushi in the tamenuri process.

I'm hoping to one day find a Wahl gold-filled, silver, or hard rubber pen of the length that normally takes their #6 nib. (Largest Wahls I have are the Lapis Lazuli Gold Seal with a #4 Personal Point Flexible Broad, and the Full size Doric with a #4 Personal Point Signature Semiflex Medium).*

Left to Right :
    • Wahl 214AW "Checkerboard" Pattern, 1920s, w/ 14K Wahl #0 EF Semi-flex
    • Wahl 322AW "Dart" Pattern , 1920s, w/ 14K Wahl #2 EF Manifold ("Stick it to the Floor" Firm as stated in the catalog)
    • "Swan Pen" Mabie, Todd & Co NY (U.S.A.) in a Rosette ("Floral") pattern, Early 1920s, 14K Firm #2 EF
    • Wahl Gold Filled Pencil, 1920s
    • Wahl 431A "Unique/Check" Pattern, 1920s (late?), w/ 14K Wahl #3 Fine nib
    • "Banker's Pen", black chased hard rubber, 1910s, coin filler w/ 14K "Banker's" #2 EF Semi-flex
    • Conklin Crescent Filler 4P (Pocket), late 1920s, w/ 14K Conklin #4 Flex Fine
    • Platinum Izumo Biwatame (tan tamenuri), ~2010+, w/ 18K Platinum President Coarse (BB) nib
    • Waterman 55 (Canada) in Dark woodgrain hard rubber, ~1920s, w/ 14K Waterman #5 (Canada) Flex Medium
    • Wahl 7202C in "Rosewood" hard rubber, late 1920s, w/ 14K Wahl No.2 Needlepoint Semi-flex
    • Wahl Pencil in "Rosewood", Mid to late 1920s
    • Shorter Wahl Pencil in Rosewood

​​​​​​​

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Blue Note (July 12th, 2023), carlos.q (July 12th, 2023), catbert (July 12th, 2023), Chrissy (July 12th, 2023), christof (July 12th, 2023), dneal (July 12th, 2023), forester (July 17th, 2023), fountainpenkid (July 12th, 2023), FredRydr (July 12th, 2023), manoeuver (July 12th, 2023), Robalone (July 12th, 2023), usk15 (July 12th, 2023), Yazeh (July 12th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,229 Times in 2,251 Posts

Default Re: My Gold and Ebonite Pens Currently

Lovely collection, do you have a favorite?

Thanks

Beautiful collection. If I could pick just one it would be the Waterman 55.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

good to see ya KB! lovely pens and excellent photography.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,518 Posts

What a lovely group to see!

Conklin crescents are among my favorite pens, partly because of their simple but anachronistic filler mechanism. "Steampunk" comes to mind. Your pocket Conklin crescent-filler has a nib that was manufactured up until 1923, when the block capital letters gave way to the script letters. See: The Conklin Legacy by Alfonso Mur (2013), pp. 278-280. I have larger and smaller, but the No. 4 nibs are my favorite size from Conklin for vintage flex writing.

And then there are those rosewood hard rubber flattop Wahl-Eversharps that came in a range of sizes. They remain among the handsomest pens made (and their nibs are fun, too).
    Last edited by FredRydr; July 12th, 2023 at 02:25 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

dneal (July 12th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    Lovely collection, do you have a favorite?
    Of these guys kind of hard to pick. For a little while that Banker's pen was pretty comfortable as just a EDC style pen, just not that easy to fill lol. I have a generic slide on clip for it, but looks a bit nicer without it. The Wahl Rosewood is one I sought out for specifically, I already had the identical pen in Jade, and the rosewood long pencil before that. So I wanted to match the set and managed to find that Rosewood Pen with a #2 manifold, and from a Japanese "Spoor" (celluloid crescent filler clone that originally had glass nib) I had a #3 Wahl nib. So once I got that rosewood, I took the Manifold and put it into my 3" Wahl, took the #2 Wahl Semiflex and put it into the rosewood, and then put the Wahl #3 into the 4" Wahl, having them all correctly in the proper catalog pen. The Jade one I have has a #2 "Signature" (semiflex).

Can see them both here on top of an original 1929 ad I got featuring both (though the ad is most likely showing the larger ones with the #4 nibs).

Now I just have to get the matching pencils, the flat top portion seems to be from 1928 onward from what I could find in the catalogs.

I would like to find this one or similar from the early 20s or late teens, already have the ad, I just need the pen now :

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Note View Post
    Beautiful collection. If I could pick just one it would be the Waterman 55.
    It's definitely a nice one, traded my 1990s era Montblanc 149 to a friend for that Waterman 55 + a Sheaffer Balance Standard Vac-Fil, didn't keep the Sheaffer, but definitely kept the 55 as you can see. He wanted a third 149 to complete his set of the 3 different gold finishes they come in, and I wanted a vintage that had similar 'large-ness', and the 55 definitely fits that bill (a 56 or 58 would been considerably higher value).

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    What a lovely group to see!

Conklin crescents are among my favorite pens, partly because of their simple but anachronistic filler mechanism. "Steampunk" comes to mind. Your pocket Conklin crescent-filler has a nib that was manufactured up until 1923, when the block capital letters gave way to the script letters. See: The Conklin Legacy by Alfonso Mur (2013), pp. 278-280. I have larger and smaller, but the No. 4 nibs are my favorite size from Conklin for vintage flex writing.

And then there are those rosewood hard rubber flattop Wahl-Eversharps that came in a range of sizes. They remain among the handsomest pens made (and their nibs are fun, too).
    I like the Conklin crescent fillers too, but I don't chance across them as often. Used to have a long one that unfortunately got lost in a trade where I didn't get the other pen for it (it was going to be an earlier Wahl Tempoint with a thick 14K band). I had it with the original conklin nib, but had the Wahl #2 semiflex needlepoint in it while I was using it (Which is now in the rosewood).

Other than the 4P above (and thanks for the info, I have an easier time figuring out stuff for the Wahl but not the Conklins), I had an earlier one, but I didn't have a cap for it, shown here next to the Wahl 214AW before I did the clean up on it, I ended up selling it with a sac and a felt tip pen cap friction fit (would have kept if I had an original cap) :

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

catbert (July 12th, 2023), Cyril (July 17th, 2023), forester (July 17th, 2023), Yazeh (July 13th, 2023)

Thanks

This is a beautiful collection set. And also like the vintage Ad.
    They are very nicely done. I love it .