Thread: Noodler's Neponset Fountain Pen

Thanks

Default Noodler's Neponset Fountain Pen

Hello,

Does anybody have a Noodler's Neponset Fountain Pen with Music Nib?

If so: Is it as nice a pen as you thought it would be?
    On the downward stroke of 'posh' writing, do you have to apply significant pressure, or is it just a slight amount of pressure?
    What ink do you use/advise?

I've just ordered 1, and 'posh' writing is new to me. I have just purchased a Jinhao x159, thinking it would be a good beginners pen for 'posh' writting before I ventured onto the Swan '1513'. I was wrong. It's nothing I was thinking it was going to be. To get any flex on the nib, you have to stand on the pen, so it will now stay in the pen case for, ermmmm, ever. Never to see the light of day again.

Thank you in advance....

ps,... if you do 'posh' writing, but don't have the above, what would you recommend in the £100 range for a beginner.

Carpio
    Last edited by Carpio; July 13th, 2023 at 08:42 AM. Reason: correkted spillong misteaks
    "The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes” – Thomas Beecham

Thanks
    Thanked 6,082 Times in 2,212 Posts

Default Re: Noodler's Neponset Fountain Pen

What do you mean by "posh" writing? Vintage flex nibs really give character to your handwriting. If you're not sure you can use some dip pen with Nikko G nibs and do your practice.
    Before Covid I could recommend a lot of pens, nowadays, everything is so expensive. But in general Indian pens with ultraflex nibs are decent

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Carpio (July 16th, 2023)

Thanks

Having been down this path myself, this is what I learned:
    1. (Cheapest) Noodler's and Indian pens do flex, but still require slow writing with pressure applied on downstrokes. Also, feel slightly scratchy.
    2. Dip pens (very cheap but you have to keep getting new nibs) are the closest you'll get to vintage pen feel.
    3. Pilot Falcon with the beak shaped nib gives a good experience - not scratchy. However much higher price, although possibly within your budget.
    4. Many "flex" nibs out there - with cutouts in the shoulders of the nib to enable flex - are really not worth it (sold on many differently priced fountain pens ranging from cheap to expensive). If you really have a preference for a "nice" fountain pen, buy the model you like, and pair it with the matching flex nib unit from Kanwrite or Flexible Nib Factory.
    5. For the classic style of flex writing a good low cost vintage pen is the Osmiroid "copperplate" nib which fits both Osmiroid and Esterbrook J.

Personally after all the above exploration, I decided I prefer fude nibs (bent nibs) and special grinds, as my main interest is drawing with variable fine width.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaguarish For This Useful Post:

Carpio (July 14th, 2023), Lloyd (July 14th, 2023), Yazeh (July 13th, 2023)

Thanks

Hello,

Hi Yazeh. Thanks for the reply, and thanks, Jaguarish - much obliged.

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    What do you mean by "posh" writing?
    What I call 'posh' writing, is the kind of writing that Andrew does, along with his beautiful pictures, in his thread (first thread in the 'pen' section). Is there no end to his talents :lol:
    I use the term 'posh' with the highest, greatest of respect. I could sit and read it/look at it for hours. I have bought pens over the last month that I thought would allow me to learn to do similar writing, but to no avail. Hopefully, the noodlers neponset will get me started, so as in a few months time, as said, I can use the '1513' with a little more confidence than I have at the moment.

Carpio
    "The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes” – Thomas Beecham

Thanks

I recommend you looking for Copperplate or other types of handwritings templates (pdf or books). Print them and then practice lettering with a dip pen. You'll need black calligraphy ink. Don't go for any other colour at this stage for practicing. You need an ink that sticks easily to the nib. Practice diligently daily, 15-30 minutes on a fixed hour, to install the habit.

As for nib, I recommend using with Tachikawa /or Nikko G [cheaper]. [avoid Brause nibs, they're finicky for a beginner] They don't have as much as flex as the other nibs, but you don't learn driving behind a Porsche unless you're posh

You can try buying one of these, maybe it works, if you're too lazy dipping a pen.
    https://cultpens.com/products/tachik...b-fountain-pen

But know that calligraphy is the art of slowing down, and becoming one with each letter.

Alternatively if your Swan are full flex why don't you use them?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Carpio (July 16th, 2023), Scribbler (July 14th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carpio View Post
    Hello,

Does anybody have a Noodler's Neponset Fountain Pen with Music Nib?

If so: Is it as nice a pen as you thought it would be?
    On the downward stroke of 'posh' writing, do you have to apply significant pressure, or is it just a slight amount of pressure?
    What ink do you use/advise?

I've just ordered 1, and 'posh' writing is new to me. I have just purchased a Jinhao x159, thinking it would be a good beginners pen for 'posh' writting before I ventured onto the Swan '1513'. I was wrong. It's nothing I was thinking it was going to be. To get any flex on the nib, you have to stand on the pen, so it will now stay in the pen case for, ermmmm, ever. Never to see the light of day again.

Thank you in advance....

ps,... if you do 'posh' writing, but don't have the above, what would you recommend in the £100 range for a beginner.

Carpio
    Hello I have quite a few Noodler's pens, including the Neponset w/music nib. Straight out the box it is an awful nib that requires tuning. Every once in a while you might get one that is ok? I have abt 5 or 6 where only 1 or 2 I recall wrote decent. Fortunately the nibs can be pulled and replaced. I put some vintage #6 14k nibs in them and they write wonderful. Finding a #6 vintage 14k flex nib is pretty hard these days and you will spend gobs of shekels if you find one.
    FP Revolution offers some steel #6 flex nibs for not a whole lot of money that have decent flex.

The Nooders Neponset and ebonite feed will accept the friction fit perfectly and it is a nice writer if I say so myself

https://fprevolutionusa.com/collecti...ultra-flex-nib

The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wingwiper For This Useful Post:

Carpio (July 16th, 2023), Yazeh (July 15th, 2023)

Thanks

The Jinhao X159 is a great value larger pen, very practical as a daily pen but the nib was never designed to flex. Instead of applying more pressure to the nib, try minimal pressure so that the line is very fine, works well on downstrokes before resuming a normal hold on the curves.

There were plenty of English semi flex pens in the 50s, in fact most had some flex or softness to allow for line variation, to a degree at least.

Full flex tended to be the older pens, pre WW2 and Waterman was one of the best, they come up on eBay from time to time but you need to be very sure about what you are buying, easy to buy rubbish.

The style of writing that suited a flex went away with the introduction of the Parker 51 and later the ball point, they changed the way we wrote, and now flex nib writing is not for everyone by any means, myself included.

You may want to see if an oblique works for you, a nib shaped like your left foot.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RobJohnson For This Useful Post:

Carpio (July 16th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (July 17th, 2023), Yazeh (July 15th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

I now have 2 Jinhao X159 pens and I chose M nibs. They both wrote well straight out of the box and fit the purpose of being a fatter pen for people who like fatter pens.

Less than £10 on Amazon during Prime day and they come complete with converters. A bargain! Not all pens are designed to come with flexible nibs and I for one prefer writing with non-flexible nibs. When I want to write fairly neatly with my FP's I can do so and I love Andrew's writing that he can do with all types of nibs whether they are flexible or not. Having a pen with a flexible nib would never make my writing look anything like his because he has a special skill that I will never be able to replicate and I can accept that.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Carpio (July 16th, 2023)

Thanks

Hello,

Thank you very much for the advice. All is taken onboard and stored.
    I have since bought a - '50 brush the hair-like red tortoiseshell bamboo million years give me Kuretake'. A very pretty pen, and something I had never heard of before until joining FPG.
    I also have on order - 10x Nikko G Nibs, Tom's Studio The Bloom Straight Nib Holder Bluebell, Tachikawa T-40 Rubber Grip Nibholder, Winsor & Newton ink, Rohrer & Klingner ink.
    I never thought for one minute that I'd ever become fascinated with pens/writing, but I have, and I intend to make the most of it. I'm used to falling on my bum, so I have absolutely no doubts that I'll mess up somewhere along the line - but hey, thats part of learning, right?
    Thanks again for the advice gents/lady.

Carpio

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Carpio For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (July 17th, 2023)

Thanks

Falling on the bum is part of the journey

If you're looking for calligraphy courses, here's one, though they are pricey and I'm not sure worthwhile. Bottomline the key to calligraphy is practice

https://pascribe-scriptorium.newzenl...ript-grids/buy

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Carpio (July 20th, 2023)

Thanks

Hello,

I have found some really good 'youtube' videos regarding calligraphy/copperplate.
    Another question, if I may.
    A bit of a numpty question if the truths known, considering I bought 20 nibs without really knowing why, but hey, I'm green (but not a cabbage).....
    Why are nibs for instance, - Nikko G Nibs - why are they sold in packs? Is it because the tip bends/breaks in the hands of the unitiated? or the tines stay open if the pen is pressed too hard? does it relate to ink? or just to help the japanese economy?

Thanks in advance

Carpio

Thanks

I can't answer your question. Just don't forget to scrub your nib either with toothpaste or leave them Ina tiny potato so that the protective oils dissolve. Otherwise you won't be able to write, as the ink won't adhere

Thanks

Hello,

I didn't know about leaving it in a small tayter, but a youtube I watched no more than an hour ago mentioned the toothpaste, and also flicking a lighter for a split second across the nib. There was another thing mentioned, a fluid of sorts but it escapes me at the moment, but I've saved the video and I intend to watch it again later, so I'll jot it down.
    Thanks very much, Yazeh.

Carpio

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Carpio For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (July 20th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carpio View Post
    Hello,

I have found some really good 'youtube' videos regarding calligraphy/copperplate.
    Another question, if I may.
    A bit of a numpty question if the truths known, considering I bought 20 nibs without really knowing why, but hey, I'm green (but not a cabbage).....
    Why are nibs for instance, - Nikko G Nibs - why are they sold in packs? Is it because the tip bends/breaks in the hands of the unitiated? or the tines stay open if the pen is pressed too hard? does it relate to ink? or just to help the japanese economy?

Thanks in advance

Carpio
    The G nibs are very fine and very flexible, but wear out quickly, hence the multipacks.
    Make sure you dry your nib well after writing with it or it will rust and become unusable within a day or two.