Page 171 of 178 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171172173 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,420 of 3559

Thread: What Pens(s) Are You Waiting For?

Thanks

Default Re: What Pens(s) Are You Waiting For?

Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post
    Ebonite pens can be eyedroppered, yes?
    If I'm not using a metal pen, I prefer demonstrators...but I think I would like an Ebonite pen for my collection.
    Wait...did I just say collection???

Oh no...it's happened!
    lol "collection" I'm not a "collector" either (as such) but I've also got quite a few pens now.

The Noodler's Boston Safety Pen can only be filled by pouring (or eyedroppering) ink into the front end. It's a bit of technical or advanced pen in as much as you don't want to leave it out where someone might try it. If they're not familiar with it they will probably dump all the ink in their lap when they take the cap off - which would be a real waste of good ink.

There are lots of videos on the Boston Safety but here is the loooooooooong version from the source:
    https://youtu.be/7P7SjOXllkg

Here is another video by Nathan on durability of ebonite:
    https://youtu.be/0lNiwUm1JhM

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ole Juul For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (September 9th, 2020), SlowMovingTarget (September 19th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Juul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Detman101 View Post
    Ebonite pens can be eyedroppered, yes?
    If I'm not using a metal pen, I prefer demonstrators...but I think I would like an Ebonite pen for my collection.
    Wait...did I just say collection???

Oh no...it's happened!
    lol "collection" I'm not a "collector" either (as such) but I've also got quite a few pens now.

The Noodler's Boston Safety Pen can only be filled by pouring (or eyedroppering) ink into the front end. It's a bit of technical or advanced pen in as much as you don't want to leave it out where someone might try it. If they're not familiar with it they will probably dump all the ink in their lap when they take the cap off - which would be a real waste of good ink.

There are lots of videos on the Boston Safety but here is the loooooooooong version from the source:
    https://youtu.be/7P7SjOXllkg

Here is another video by Nathan on durability of ebonite:
    https://youtu.be/0lNiwUm1JhM
    Hahahahaa...omg, that would be the ultimate prank pen!!
    I might buy one just for that!!
    Leave it around the office and wait for someone to try using it...Bwahahahahah!!!

Thanks

I just got a small bonus from my company... which means I got a boost to my pen budget all of a sudden. I'm taking the plunge with a Lamy 2000 (EF) and an Edison Collier (F) in Ancient Marble. They're on their way, along with a bottle of Robert Oster Thunderstorm, Noodler's Ink Walnut, and a bunch of samples. I also took the opportunity to grab some 308 cartridges for my Ahab.
    "The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here..." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863

Thanks

A waterman 92 1/2 with a med fine nib,
    A Swan Eyedropper ( need to clean and re set)
    Two Swan Mabie- One Leveless and a self filler with semi-flex nibs. One restrored and one need a sac and repaired.
    One Swan HR SF with full repair and cleaning.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    A waterman 92 1/2 with a med fine nib,
    A Swan Eyedropper ( need to clean and re set)
    Two Swan Mabie- One Leveless and a self filler with semi-flex nibs. One restrored and one need a sac and repaired.
    One Swan HR SF with full repair and cleaning.
    Congratulations! These are great pens!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to eachan For This Useful Post:

Cyril (October 5th, 2020)

Thanks

3404FEFE-0597-4725-9265-AEC1EF628E3B.jpeg
    I ordered this esterbrook set on eBay yesterday for $22. Hopefully the seller doesn’t mind me using their pics. The pen will be my first Estie and my first restoration. I have a sac and some shellac on route. Pretty pumped to see what kind nib is on there and give the restoration a shot. Both the pen and pencil look to be in great shape cosmetically, but the description was pretty vague.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tleek For This Useful Post:

azkid (September 22nd, 2020), Chuck Naill (September 21st, 2020), SlowMovingTarget (September 20th, 2020)

Thanks

Those Estebrooks are beautiful pens.

I've been researching those Mabie Todd & Co Swans, too. Maybe one day.

Makes me feel kind of silly ordering new pens.
    "The world will little note, nor long remember, what we say here..." -- Abraham Lincoln, 1863

Thanks

I am pleased I started out with Esterbrook and learning to do a practical restoration. These are very affordable, quality writing instruments. And, having access to several replaceable nibs are fun with which to experiment.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tleek View Post
    I ordered this esterbrook set on eBay yesterday for $22. Hopefully the seller doesn’t mind me using their pics. The pen will be my first Estie and my first restoration. I have a sac and some shellac on route. Pretty pumped to see what kind nib is on there and give the restoration a shot. Both the pen and pencil look to be in great shape cosmetically, but the description was pretty vague.
    Got some Talc, and maybe rosin too? (Talc to lightly coat the sac to act as a dry lubricant so it doesn't stick to the inside of the spacer or pressure bar, rosin to seal the grip in the barrel if it's loose without being as hard-to-remove as shellac for that purpose)

At least if the nib is bad or missing, it's not that difficult to pick up a cheap 1551 or similar in the meantime til you find a nice 3xxx/9xxx nib.

You're probably the first person in a while forum-wise that I've seen acquiring it with a matching pencil, vast majority of the time I tends to be the pen by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    I am pleased I started out with Esterbrook and learning to do a practical restoration. These are very affordable, quality writing instruments. And, having access to several replaceable nibs are fun with which to experiment.
    They used to be on average more often, but over the last couple years, sellers have been asking as much as $40-50 for unrestored copies of the J/LJ/SJ, and in worse wear sometimes, perhaps due to their popularity increase over the years.
    If you can get them under $20 for a pen unrestored (or even better in the low teens), then that's where I feel their worth it for a restoration project, seeing as they used to be around $50 restored. (guessing a lot of the sellers see them at $50 restored, and thinking they can sell an unknown condition one for the same)
    Last edited by KBeezie; September 23rd, 2020 at 08:27 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

da vinci (October 14th, 2020), SlowMovingTarget (September 23rd, 2020)

Thanks

Was waiting on a Penbbs-487, it arrived yesterday. Working beautifully eyedroppered with Kon-Peki.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk
    "I can only improve my self, not the world."

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Detman101 For This Useful Post:

SlowMovingTarget (September 23rd, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    They used to be on average more often, but over the last couple years, sellers have been asking as much as $40-50 for unrestored copies of the J/LJ/SJ, and in worse wear sometimes, perhaps due to their popularity increase over the years.
    If you can get them under $20 for a pen unrestored (or even better in the low teens), then that's where I feel their worth it for a restoration project, seeing as they used to be around $50 restored. (guessing a lot of the sellers see them at $50 restored, and thinking they can sell an unknown condition one for the same)[/QUOTE]

I don't thini I've paid more than $20 for any Esterbrook and I only started last Fall. Maybe I've bragged on them too much....LOL!!

I paid $18 for both "dollar" pens which is the current equivalent of a dollar in the '30's.

Can't say if I have just been at the right place at the right time or not, but I tend to be patient and not paying too much.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

SlowMovingTarget (September 25th, 2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post

Got some Talc, and maybe rosin too? (Talc to lightly coat the sac to act as a dry lubricant so it doesn't stick to the inside of the spacer or pressure bar, rosin to seal the grip in the barrel if it's loose without being as hard-to-remove as shellac for that purpose)

At least if the nib is bad or missing, it's not that difficult to pick up a cheap 1551 or similar in the meantime til you find a nice 3xxx/9xxx nib.

You're probably the first person in a while forum-wise that I've seen acquiring it with a matching pencil, vast majority of the time I tends to be the pen by itself.
    I don't think Ill need the Rosin, The section was really in there. I eventually got it out after heating it with a hair dryer.
    I need to find some talc. Is it really essential? I assume I can always talc it later if I can't find any unscented stuff locally.

I was actually really happy about the pencil. At first I though a spring or something was loose, because the lead would retract but would push back into the pencil when writing. I noticed that someone filled it with .9 lead. They must have left the larger stuff in there because as I clicked through the lead a larger piece began to feed and it holds well. I am going to order some 1.1mm lead for it.

As far as the pen goes, the J bar seems to be in good shape. I cleaned off a little rust. Cosmetically it has some wear and the name "Mary" lightly scratched into the cap. Im 99 percent sure I can sand it off easily. I began too with 1200 grit sandpaper, but don't have anything finer to polish it back up so I stopped.

The nib is a 1555, which is kind of the last nib I was hoping for, but that is okay. It feels really smooth. My sac and shellac should be here tomorrow and I will put everything together when it arrives. Wish me luck!

Thanks

Pelikan M1005 EF.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Just won a Sheaffer 5-30 in Jadite that appears to be in better condition than my current one. Kinda funny: I won the auction (using a sniper) by $0.20 over the next highest bid.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

6C3D4DED-E4D2-42B6-8465-3F195D095754.jpeg

I got the new sac on and polished everything up. I’m very pleasantly surprised with the nib. I thought a Gregg nib would be very very fine, but it is smooth and writes well. The restoration was a lot of fun. I love little projects like that.

I had to order another Estie.

In copper this time with a 2668 nib. Unfortunately no pencil to match but I think I’ll survive. I ordered some talc and a new sac for it as well.

Really crazy that you can find these so cheap on eBay.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tleek For This Useful Post:

azkid (September 27th, 2020), Cyril (September 28th, 2020), damfino (October 11th, 2020), SchaumburgSwan (September 27th, 2020)

Thanks

Just won three more Swans including a Black Bird.
    I think I must stop buying any more!!!! This is too much to select which pen to use!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

...I think I must stop buying any more!!!!...
    Good luck with that.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Cyril (September 28th, 2020)

Thanks

Just won three more Swans including a Black Bird.
    I think I must stop buying any more!!!! This is too much to select which pen to use!!!
    I hope you enjoy them, Cyril!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to eachan For This Useful Post:

Cyril (September 28th, 2020)

Thanks

congratulations.................awe yes- another addicted collector like the rest of us
    The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain

Thanks

I was in a Club of photo and had this Gas Syndrome.. and left it and diverted myself to Pen and Ink Club.
    Well I am getting this aftereffect of old habitual Gas disease.

I am waiting for another Swan Pen this time with an unusual broad Italic. So my Syndrome drove me to it as it was a rare nib. ( that was my excuse ).. What is next??