Thread: Valuation?

Thanks

Question Valuation?

I'm looking for opinions on the value of these two bottles of Skrip from a different time. This is not a sales solicitation; I just want to get an idea how to price them when I do sell.

While I've had them for some years, I don't know how I came by them. My impetus for buying them was nostalgia as I used these as a child and so fondly recall the little inkwell contained inside the bottle. I have no idea how old they are, although the 15-cent sticker on one suggests quite old. There is ink in the bottles, but I don't know if it would be useable.

Soon I'll be placing most of my ink collection on sale, about 70 bottles. Also curious about pricing for Lamy Dark Lilac, Lamy Petrol and Mont Blanc Shakespeare Red Velvet. One guy on ebay is pricing the Lamy Dark Lilac at $300, and I think that's a bit out of line.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

Default Re: Valuation?

no idea about prices, sorry

But what does "successor to ink" mean?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (April 17th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; April 16th, 2023 at 11:41 PM.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (April 17th, 2023), forester (August 11th, 2023), TSherbs (April 25th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,453 Times in 4,002 Posts

If I ever want to check prices of pen related items before I sell them I first search on ebay then check "Sold items" and search again.
    It's one thing listing them for sale and quite another actually selling them.
    Now that there are thousands of inks available everywhere prices seem to be dropping to a lower level. Although I recently saw one chancer who listed a bottle of Pelikan Edelstein Onyx for £130. I asked him if he had added a zero on the end by mistake.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (April 17th, 2023), countrydirt (April 17th, 2023), Deb (April 17th, 2023), Jon Szanto (April 16th, 2023), welch (August 10th, 2023), Yazeh (April 17th, 2023)

Thanks

Skrip, it's not ink, it's a fluid.
    A writing fluid.
    With RC-35. A guarded formula.
    Makes all pens write better.
    Forever fluid. Cannot clog your pen.
    Dries quicker, writes instantly, without stutter or blot.
    Who wouldn't buy two bottles?
    After all, it's Skrip.

Not to be confused with Quink.
    With wonder-working solv-x.
    Full-bodied, extra-quick drying.
    Gives positive protection to all surfaces it contacts, flushes away all sediment and gummy deposits left by other writing fluids.

Skrip & Quink and the battle of the copywriters.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kazoolaw For This Useful Post:

amk (April 28th, 2023), Brilliant Bill (April 25th, 2023), catbert (April 25th, 2023), forester (August 11th, 2023), TSherbs (April 25th, 2023), welch (August 10th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

"ink" versus "writing fluid"

Love it! /s

Thanks
    Thanked 3,476 Times in 1,742 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post
    I'm looking for opinions on the value of these two bottles of Skrip from a different time. This is not a sales solicitation; I just want to get an idea how to price them when I do sell.

While I've had them for some years, I don't know how I came by them. My impetus for buying them was nostalgia as I used these as a child and so fondly recall the little inkwell contained inside the bottle. I have no idea how old they are, although the 15-cent sticker on one suggests quite old. There is ink in the bottles, but I don't know if it would be useable.

Soon I'll be placing most of my ink collection on sale, about 70 bottles. Also curious about pricing for Lamy Dark Lilac, Lamy Petrol and Mont Blanc Shakespeare Red Velvet. One guy on ebay is pricing the Lamy Dark Lilac at $300, and I think that's a bit out of line.

Thanks!

That sticker could be an aftermarket price (ie: marked down). The other big forum also has a biiig thread on Sheaffer ink bottle history.

The ink might be usable.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    ... The ink might be usable.
    Yes. But unlike great old pens, they're just old chemical mixes.

Thanks

I like to compare the two- writing fluid and the writing ink and see what makes the most to improve my writing then I go for the fluid or the ink.
    Quite interesting topic here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post

Thanks!

The 42, Washable Blue would date from the 1950s, since it advertises the Snorkel. I used only Shaeffer's Skrip from about 1960 onward and do not remember any Snorkel advertising on the boxes. In addition, Sheaffer would have begun pushing the PfM as of about 1959.

For a price if you are selling? Check EBay. If you have unopened bottles, then price toward the high side of whatever you find.

Incidentally, I sometimes write from a full bottle of Sheaffer's Permanent Blue. It is good stuff...seems a bit more concentrated, and I have guessed some of it had evaporated over the last 65 or more years. A very dark blue, and hates to let itself be washed off. That's why our mothers insisted we use Sheaffer's washable inks, although it will wash off of hands and out of clothes. It is not, of course, an ink that binds itself to paper (or clothing) fibers.
    Last edited by welch; August 10th, 2023 at 12:41 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to welch For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (August 10th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kazoolaw View Post
    Skrip, it's not ink, it's a fluid.
    A writing fluid.
    With RC-35. A guarded formula.
    Makes all pens write better.
    Forever fluid. Cannot clog your pen.
    Dries quicker, writes instantly, without stutter or blot.
    Who wouldn't buy two bottles?
    After all, it's Skrip.

Not to be confused with Quink.
    With wonder-working solv-x.
    Full-bodied, extra-quick drying.
    Gives positive protection to all surfaces it contacts, flushes away all sediment and gummy deposits left by other writing fluids.

Skrip & Quink and the battle of the copywriters.
    Bravo, Kaz! But I didn't think you were old enough to remember Skrip versus Quink!