Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ink for drawings of Saturn

Thanks

Default Ink for drawings of Saturn

Looking for a yellow ink to portray the planet Saturn more accurately than [orange] Noodler's Summer Tanager does.

Pelikan highlighter yellow in a Pelikan highlighter pen is too bright. From my experience with Herbin's Bouton d'Or years ago, it's more suitable for highlighting.

Quick sketch made on Tomoe River paper in my Hobonichi Techo Cousin A5 using a Conklin Crescent with a medium nib.

Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BlkWhiteFilmPix; April 19th, 2023 at 05:58 PM.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

“If ‘To hold a pen is to be at war’ as Voltaire said, Montblanc suggests you show up in full dress uniform, ready to go down like an officer and a gentleman among the Bic-wielding hordes.” - Chris Wright

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

Thanks

Default Re: Ink for drawings of Saturn

A bit of a guess, but Herbin Ambre de Birmanie? For projects like this, it can get fussy and you may need to order samples. Cornaline d`Egypt is a bit more orange, in the direction of ochre.
    Last edited by arrow; April 19th, 2023 at 03:58 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to arrow For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (April 19th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,155 Posts

Have you seen Yazeh's review of Kakimori Torori?

https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...akimori-Torori

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catbert For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (April 19th, 2023), Yazeh (April 20th, 2023)

Thanks

Thank you.

Will order a sample of Herbin Ambre de Birmanie, which looks closer to what Saturn 🪐 looks like in my small 2-inch refractor telescope, and would be better for quick sketching.
    Last edited by BlkWhiteFilmPix; April 19th, 2023 at 06:24 PM.
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

“If ‘To hold a pen is to be at war’ as Voltaire said, Montblanc suggests you show up in full dress uniform, ready to go down like an officer and a gentleman among the Bic-wielding hordes.” - Chris Wright

Thanks
    Thanked 6,253 Times in 2,256 Posts

Also try seeing if you can dilute the orange then mixing it with a darker colour on good paper. I normally have the best result on water colour paper.
    Torori is also good, if you're looking for a waterproof ink. De Atramentis document /Artist orange are on the lighter side, but are dry.
    I wonder if you can do anything with an ink like diamine sepia.
    Also Ambre de Baltique abd Birmanie seem very similar

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (April 20th, 2023)

Thanks

Thanks. Will also get a sample of Ambre de Baltique.
    Bob

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlkWhiteFilmPix View Post
    Thanks. Will also get a sample of Ambre de Baltique.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpen...ie_has_anyone/

Thanks

On Tomoe River paper in the Hobonichi Techo Cousin, Noodler's Yellow looks closer to the way Saturn does.

Ambre de Birmanie looks browner on white paper and in the notebook than Saturn does in the telescope. I wrote all of these after dipping the pen.

The French word for yellow is "jaune." The French word "Ambre" refers to a yellowish to brownish resin and is prized as a gem.

Noodler's Yellow it is - and the filled-to-the-rim bottle will last me a lifetime.

BTW, I could see Saturn this morning, but could not make it out it the in the finder scope because the morning twilight overpowered the faint planet.

Saturn Noodler's Yellow Herbin Ambre de Birmanie.jpgNoodler's Yellow TR Herbin Ambre de Birmanie Tomoe River.jpgNoodler's Yellow Herbin Ambre de Birmanie white copy paper.jpg
    Last edited by BlkWhiteFilmPix; April 27th, 2023 at 01:32 PM. Reason: added pictures
    Bob

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (April 27th, 2023)

Thanks

Amazing how the colour changes depending the paper

Thanks

The picture you link to come off as yellowish with a bit of grey, or like the lightest shades of ochra, "tuskany brick", or something like that. If you have found your ink I shall not fuss more, but Diamine has a few yellows. With the lighter yellow like the Noodlers you fund, it is easy to dim it down a bit with a drop of a darker shade. I can never trust my screen or the web too much so if you found good shade in your first sample order, not bad at all. If you get those 80 ml. jars you have enough to play with ;- )

15. The Following User Says Thank You to arrow For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (April 28th, 2023)

Thanks

Thank you - I'll look into Diamine Sunshine Yellow.

As I do this while journaling in my planner, Noodler's Yellow lets me note that I looked at Saturn, while I use Diamine Poppy Red for Mars.

Sometime between now and Jupiter's opposition this fall, I'll have to come up with an ink for that.

So much ink, so little time.
    Bob

Thanks

This image showing Saturn with the Moon was posted on Twitter.
    Last edited by BlkWhiteFilmPix; May 11th, 2023 at 01:36 PM.
    Bob

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (May 11th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlkWhiteFilmPix View Post
    I wonder what does this mean:

Images with watermarks are carefully enchanced with AI, keeping the orignality intact.

Thanks

My guess is that it means they used AI only to enhance contrast, turn down the brightness in skies and highlights, and lighten dark areas similar to traditional wet darkroom techniques of dodging, burning, and using different contrast filters on variable contrast paper.

Those techniques are acceptable to us traditional photographers because those techniques don't change objects' size, move them from where they are in the original exposure, erase power lines, etc., or add things that weren't in the original exposure.

Indeed, Elliott Erwitt's books now recite that his pictures were not digitally manipulated and that only traditional darkroom techniques were used when printing them.
    Last edited by BlkWhiteFilmPix; May 11th, 2023 at 01:42 PM.
    Bob

Thanks

The image really looks spectacular! and takes me afar

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (May 12th, 2023)

Thanks

Last week I bought a new telescope whose optics rely on low light dispersion glass, as do the eyepieces.

Clear, smoke-free sky last night, and again this morning. Saturn rises in the morning now.

I made the drawing using a template that fellow astronomer Sol Robbins graciously shared with us on CloudyNights.com.

Noodler's Yellow ink on Tomoe River paper. Cassini's division in Saturn's rings with Waterman Black ink. Sky with a Blackwing Palomino pencil.

Tonight I'll realign the finder scope so I can use a smaller eyepiece for higher magnification tomorrow morning.

Saturn 05262023.jpgAT80EDT night 05252023W.jpg
    Bob

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

catbert (May 26th, 2023), Chrissy (May 27th, 2023), forester (May 27th, 2023), Yazeh (May 26th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,466 Times in 4,006 Posts

Bob that's great. Well done you and what a wonderful sight to see. I'm so envious.....
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (May 27th, 2023)

Thanks

Thank you, Chrissy.

I'll always remember my first look at Saturn through a small telescope that my parents bought me for Christmas.

Saturn's rings - and Jupiter's four Galilean moons - can be easily seen even in a small 2 or 2.5 inch (50 or 60mm) refractor, or a small reflector telescope. One can buy a good starter telescope for around $150 (120 pounds). Most of those scopes come with aluminum tripods that shake in the wind. I'd recommend getting a sturdier steel or wooden tripod.

This morning I wasn't able to get Saturn centered in the eyepiece. Fatigue from staying up till 11 p.m. and getting up at 4:15 two nights in a row didn't help. It's clouding up, so I'll get back to my regular sleep schedule and give it a go after it clears up again next week.

best,

Bob
    Bob

28. The Following User Says Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 27th, 2023)

Thanks

That's so lovely Bob
    A novice question: would light pollution effect the way you see Saturn, meaning that if you drive in the country side would the image will be more clearer or it's not worth the trouble?

Thanks

Thanks, Yazeh.

I think the view would seem more clearer because there would be more contrast with the darker sky.

It's definitely worth a drive to the country to see the Milky Way, and to be able to see more stars than in a light polluted city.
    Bob

31. The Following User Says Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (May 27th, 2023)