Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Mystery Inks #51, 52, and 53

Thanks
    Thanked 6,273 Times in 2,264 Posts

Default Re: Mystery Inks #51, 52, and 53

51 comparaison:

51 - Comparaison.jpg

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

catbert (May 27th, 2023), forester (May 28th, 2023), junglejim (May 27th, 2023), mreeveshp (May 27th, 2023)

Thanks

52 Comparison:

Quite close to Herbin Bleu Nuit, but the ink doesn't write like a Herbin.
    52- Comparaison.jpg

53 comparison
    Very close to Noodler's Red Black, but that ink is water-resistant and dry times are about an eternity and a day
    53 - Comparaison.jpg

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

catbert (May 27th, 2023), forester (May 28th, 2023), junglejim (May 27th, 2023), mreeveshp (May 27th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (May 27th, 2023)

Thanks

and finally wateriest. Left side was held under water:

52- Watertest 1.jpeg

53- Watertest.jpeg

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

catbert (May 28th, 2023), forester (May 28th, 2023), junglejim (May 27th, 2023), mreeveshp (May 27th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (May 27th, 2023)

Thanks

Testing MI 51 on Mead Five Star paper

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mreeveshp For This Useful Post:

forester (May 28th, 2023), junglejim (May 27th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (May 27th, 2023), Yazeh (May 27th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,745 Posts

Thanks, Yazeh. I don't think anything here comes close to the Mystery Inks. At first I wondered if MV Moonstone was a match, but Moonstone has a distinctive chroma that breaks into greens and turquoise.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 27th, 2023), forester (May 28th, 2023), junglejim (May 27th, 2023), mreeveshp (May 28th, 2023), Yazeh (May 27th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post

Thanks, Yazeh. I don't think anything here comes close to the Mystery Inks. At first I wondered if MV Moonstone was a match, but Moonstone has a distinctive chroma that breaks into greens and turquoise.
    Me neither, but it could be one of these #51m 3 Oysters - GOGUNG/PEN BBS 390 Guilin, Smoky Quartz?
    Last edited by Yazeh; May 27th, 2023 at 05:48 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (May 27th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yazeh View Post
    #51 on other papers:
    I would say, it has a long dry compared to the others.
    Attachment 77912
    Attachment 77913

However, it's decently water resistant. The left side was held under running water
    Attachment 77914
    Looks like someone has an interest in psychology

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mreeveshp For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (May 28th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,473 Times in 4,007 Posts

MI#'s on Maruman Mnemosyne

MI#53 1.jpeg
    Last edited by Chrissy; June 4th, 2023 at 01:46 PM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

forester (May 28th, 2023), junglejim (May 28th, 2023), mreeveshp (May 28th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (May 28th, 2023), Yazeh (May 28th, 2023)

Thanks

#52 Osmiroid Copperplate nib

Paper is Mnemosyne

8B38256D-F713-400B-A80A-4987BF64C1FC_1_201_a.jpg

Close up:
    C9AD6364-81FA-4AF8-A644-E9AC4E98C016.jpg

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

forester (May 29th, 2023), junglejim (May 28th, 2023), mreeveshp (May 28th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (May 28th, 2023)

Thanks

I noticed as I was writing on the clairfontaine the ink looked much more of grayish brown but after a few minutes of the ink drying it did look more of a light brown and lost some of the grey tones

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mreeveshp For This Useful Post:

forester (May 29th, 2023), junglejim (May 28th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (May 29th, 2023), Yazeh (May 31st, 2023)

Thanks

@mreeveshp, I get most shading/ sheening on Japanese paper. I have had even sheening with Fischer Space ball pens on Maruman notepads.
    I have a pad of Rhodia lying around, for reviews. But I never liked the paper nor Clairefontaine. If you're referring to the shading with Osmioroid nib, it took me half and hour to write that page. The Osmiroid Copperplate nib, is like writing with a fine flexible needle. It's not a "normal" flex nib. You can take notes with it.
    Most shading can be achieved by broad nibs. The fun thing with B nibs is that you can reverse reverse with them when you need a finer nib or when writing on cheap paper.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (May 30th, 2023)

Thanks

@mreeveshp, I get most shading/ sheening on Japanese paper. I have had even sheening with Fischer Space ball pens on Maruman notepads.
    I have a pad of Rhodia lying around, for reviews. But I never liked the paper nor Clairefontaine. If you're referring to the shading with Osmioroid nib, it took me half and hour to write that page. The Osmiroid Copperplate nib, is like writing with a fine flexible needle. It's not a "normal" flex nib. You can take notes with it.
    Most shading can be achieved by broad nibs. The fun thing with B nibs is that you can reverse reverse with them when you need a finer nib or when writing on cheap paper.
    Thank you for the tips. I did finally get a slight bit of shading with my Metropolitan Stub nib but only when I slowed the pen to a crawl. I tried my cheap dip pen set and the real flex nibs in the set just railroaded and the stub nibs in the set just made a blob, but I didn't have high hopes for those cheap things I've never been able to write with any of them. Even the nibs in the set that are like a nail just blob the ink instead of holding. Maybe it's technique maybe just a cheap set (they are D. Leonhardt Co).

I do like flipping my pen over if I have to fill out forms of any sort if I don't happen to have a gel pen in my pocket which I usually do.

I also found the excerpts you used to be fascinating.

Last edited by mreeveshp; May 30th, 2023 at 12:29 AM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to mreeveshp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,473 Times in 4,007 Posts

This is my first written example of MI#52 and I experienced a stain on my red Lamy Safari grip as well as on the barrel. The fingerprint stain on the barrel was from the rubber glove when I'm swapping out all of the nibs. These marks didn't just wipe off with kitchen towel immediately after filling. Nor did they completely wipe off when I used a Q-Tip dipped in cold water. I noticed the marks because I just purchased a new red Safari grip for this pen.

The marks came off when I used warm soapy water. I feel this is worth a mention because it would usually be enough of a reason for me to not buy an ink. The last time I saw marks like this was when I tried an experimental pigment based ink.

Otherwise the performance was fine.

MI#52.jpg
    Last edited by Chrissy; August 22nd, 2023 at 12:55 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

forester (May 30th, 2023), junglejim (May 30th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (May 30th, 2023), Yazeh (May 30th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mreeveshp View Post
    Thank you for the tips. I did finally get a slight bit of shading with my Metropolitan Stub nib but only when I slowed the pen to a crawl. I tried my cheap dip pen set and the real flex nibs in the set just railroaded and the stub nibs in the set just made a blob, but I didn't have high hopes for those cheap things I've never been able to write with any of them. Even the nibs in the set that are like a nail just blob the ink instead of holding. Maybe it's technique maybe just a cheap set (they are D. Leonhardt Co).

I do like flipping my pen over if I have to fill out forms of any sort if I don't happen to have a gel pen in my pocket which I usually do.

For the dip pen nibs. Have you washed them either with toothpaste, or shoved them for a minute or two in a tiny potato? There's a protective film on them that needs to be washed away. It is difficult to use dip pen nibs with fountain pen ink, in general. I even have had difficulty using some of them with "dip pen" inks. But that's another story

Glad you find the quotes interesting

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yazeh, now I have noticed the red shift of Mystery Ink #53. It shows when the pen is dry after a hard start. Makes this ink all the more interesting!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (May 30th, 2023)

Thanks

Yazeh, now I have noticed the red shift of Mystery Ink #53. It shows when the pen is dry after a hard start. Makes this ink all the more interesting!
    My apologies. I feel a bit dense today. I'm not sure what you're alluding to by red shift. I'm wavering lost somewhere between: In physics, a redshift is an increase in the wavelength, and corresponding decrease in the frequency and photon energy, of electromagnetic radiation, and a long, loose-fitting undergarment. Can you clarify please?

Thanks

I'm not smart enough for it to be physics! I meant that on one of your Mystery Ink pages, with that flex dip nib, the brown ink looks red now and again.

Thanks

I'm not smart enough for it to be physics! I meant that on one of your Mystery Ink pages, with that flex dip nib, the brown ink looks red now and again.
    I got confused as you wrote 53, which is the "red" ink. If I have the time and courage, I'll do a whole page with the Soennecken semi-flex and see if I can re-capture the red...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mreeveshp View Post

For the dip pen nibs. Have you washed them either with toothpaste, or shoved them for a minute or two in a tiny potato? There's a protective film on them that needs to be washed away. It is difficult to use dip pen nibs with fountain pen ink, in general. I even have had difficulty using some of them with "dip pen" inks. But that's another story

Glad you find the quotes interesting
    I tried the potato and toothpaste and wheni bought a few more nibs I tried the soft flame technique but just haven't had much luck unless using a certain sumi ink they sell at hobby lobby

Thanks

I finally got a pen freed up, I didn't have an empty vial to put the ink that was in it in and didn't want to waste so I'm a little behind but wanted to get something posted as soon as I got MI 53 in my pen

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mreeveshp For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 30th, 2023), junglejim (May 31st, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (May 31st, 2023), Yazeh (May 31st, 2023)