Thread: Waterman Hundread years Senior Size Celluloid - tops replacement

Thanks

Default Waterman 100 years Senior Size Celluloid- tops replacement-Step by step photo report

Yesterday I bought a pen that I like a lot and intent to fix myself using my lathe. It´s Waterman Hundread years senior size in green ( very dark, but green).

I found it with the rear transparent celluloid piece completely shattered as is usual in this pens.

Let me tell you guys up front I am not a professional repair man, but I know how to work the lathe and enjoy doing most pen repairs in my pens. I´ve mainly worked in pistons reparations or other filling systems repair and crack repairs.

Now i intent to cut the bad celluloid part and replace it by a green piece of acrylic as I don't have any green celluloid. I am choosing green, because It looks tome that the top cap transparent celuloid was green...

Here is a picture with the "before" condition to future reference.

This afternoon I started working on it and cut the bad celluloid part. I come across with my first doubt:

After cutting out all the "damaged" external celluloid , I´ve started boring a bit more the celluloid to make a lip to be used later as "gluing surface".

Should I bore all the way until I reach the inside part of the barrel and take out all the celluloid or should I leave a bit of green celluloid and then glue the new green transparent acrilyc?

Here is a picture of the barrel after cutting out all the crazed celluloid and started to make the lip.

Should I do the lip with an angle to increase the gluing surface and diminish the visual impact of the transparent to solid celluloid transition, or just leave it like this at a 90º angle?

Hope to be able to finish this repair with a little guidance from the experts in the forum.

I will update step by step pictures of the work done herein this forum.

Thanks in advance for any help given.
    Last edited by piscov; September 9th, 2013 at 03:59 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,714 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Waterman Hundread years Senior Size Celluloid - tops replacement

If it's any help, here is what the finished product should look like.

Thanks

Hi Jar,

Thank you. I also have a Emblem, the same size, and it´s perfect to take measurements.

Here is the update:

I was boring a bit more to take the bad celluloid and it went all the way, so the barrel became tubular.

After sourcing a screw driver that has a green handle in acrylic ( casted) I used it as a donor.

Then I use the lathe to turn the stock to be glued.

And here it is already glued, now I need to wait a few days to assure that the gluing process is finished.

Then I will go back to the lathe and adjust the size to match the barrel diameter, make the concave end and polish.

Hope the final result is satisfactory.
    Last edited by piscov; September 11th, 2013 at 12:14 PM.
    Best regards
    Vasco

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here

Thanks

Here is the final result for the barrel. Stil work to be done in the cap, as I also want to replace the bad celluloid. But that is the trickiest part.

Remember, I am not a pro and this was my first time with this kind of repair. Still it looks ok to me, not excellent.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,714 Times in 1,610 Posts

Looks good.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

not a pro? Could have fooled me! Looks lovely!
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks

Thank you Josephine!!

Have you read my comment about you Soennecken on FPnuts? A demonstrator would look great until you have the chance to get a new barrel....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

I have, and I'm thinking that may be the best route, will send you a PM when I get a chance (work is nuts today!)
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks

+1 to what tandaina said - great work!
    Cw

“Life is short, Break the Rules.
    Forgive quickly, Kiss SLOWLY.
    Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably
    And never regret ANYTHING
    That makes you smile.”
    ― Mark Twain

Thanks

Well done Piscov, looks perfect to me !
    Francis

Thanks

Hi Francis!

That is a huge compliment coming from the master! Thank you very much! I always remember your mastery fixing my MB 146 Pistons and MB 149 cap lip! Still working and very happy with it!!

Now I would need to take the clip out, but I am afraid to break the cap or ruin the clip, so I think it will stay like that. Its not green but its in one piece, although with internal cracks. Any trick you could recommend me to take the clip out?

Best regards

vasco

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piscov View Post
    Hi Francis!

Now I would need to take the clip out, but I am afraid to break the cap or ruin the clip, so I think it will stay like that. Its not green but its in one piece, although with internal cracks. Any trick you could recommend me to take the clip out?
    vasco
    Hi Vasco,
    The clip is riveted , the only way to get the rivet collar out is drilling the rivet collar out from the inside of the barrel.( preferably on the lathe)
    Works well,but then the rivet becomes too short, and consequently you have to mill the rivet back-up collar inside the the barrel 0.5 mm deeper (on the lathe)
    Doing so you can use the slightly shortened rivet again and rivet the clip back in place.

Best regards, Francis