Thread: Fountain Pen reading material

Thanks

Default Fountain Pen reading material

Any suggestions on a good book for a newbie in the Fountain Pen game?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scott P For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (May 13th, 2023), Carpio (June 13th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

Default Re: Fountain Pen reading material

One of the best written has been out of print for a few years: Paul Erano's "Fountain Pens: Past and Present". A really good overview, especially with past pens, and the many facets of collection, curation, and use. I always keep an eye out for copies, and there are a number of copies currently on www.abebooks.com for very low prices.

A membership in the Pen Collectors of America gets you access to their reference library as well as "The Pennant", a thrice-yearly journal of pens and related subjects.

If you want to spend hefty, there are the large, very deep volumes by Andreas Lambrou. "Fountain Pens of the World", and "FPo Japan" are both really significant, both in scope and investment.

There is a fairly recent, free online journal call "Foolish Magazine" (I've never asked or figured out the title meaninG!) that is filled with lovely photography of pens and watches, all current and contemporary. Also for pens of the moment is "Pen World" magazine.

I hope that gives you a start! You might try both local libraries, as well as searches on abebooks.com, a great resource for used volumes, especially since many niche publications go out of print quickly.
    Last edited by Jon Szanto; May 12th, 2023 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Changing link for Erano book
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (May 24th, 2023), Carpio (May 25th, 2023), Chrissy (June 12th, 2023), Cyril (June 11th, 2023), Deb (June 11th, 2023), forester (June 12th, 2023), Lloyd (May 12th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (May 13th, 2023), Scribbler (May 13th, 2023), TChilton (June 25th, 2023)

Thanks

I read a lot of things, and I thought the way you wrote to make it clear what you wanted to say was very good. I'm impressed, and I'd like to come back again sometime fnaf

6. The Following User Says Thank You to theodoreevans For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (May 24th, 2023)

Thanks

Leaving repair and maintenance of books to one side, I am a fan of the David Shepherd Parker books, especially the 51, Vacumatic and Duofold books. These are giant, heavy duty coffee table books but if vintage Parker pens are your interest then they are worth reading, or at least dipping into from time to time.

David was working on the 30s 'depression era' pens but that was a few years ago and may have run aground.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RobJohnson For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (May 24th, 2023), Carpio (June 13th, 2023), welch (June 13th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,518 Posts

Suggestions, and there are many more. These are books I owned and mostly re-sold after reading them.

Such books on vintage marques will never be equaled, so seek them out and get them now. Also, get a copy of Marshall and Oldfield's pen repair book, now in the 4th edition.

26834885-E39A-4B6D-B942-016494D33C63.jpeg

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (May 24th, 2023), Carpio (May 25th, 2023), Chrissy (June 12th, 2023), Cyril (June 11th, 2023), Deb (June 11th, 2023), dneal (June 25th, 2023), TChilton (June 25th, 2023), welch (June 13th, 2023)

Thanks

@Fred . I like to enrol into your next class room and please please put my name in to your next list!!!!

Senior Member INeedAFinancialAdvisor's Avatar
    Thanks

Richardspens.com

You can (and i have) spend DAYS reading it

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to INeedAFinancialAdvisor For This Useful Post:

Carpio (June 13th, 2023), Chrissy (June 12th, 2023), Jon Szanto (June 11th, 2023)

Thanks

Hello,

Like you, I am very new to fountain Pen World. I found this website which sells, what I believe to be, very good books: https://www.englishpenbooks.co.uk/
    I am awaiting delivery, which should be Wednesday for this book - 'The Swan Pen: Mabie Todd in England: 1880-1960' - I am wanting to learn all I can about the manufacturer and pens and then buy accordingly.

Hope it helps,

Carpio
    "The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes” – Thomas Beecham

Thanks
    Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,518 Posts

These specialty titles by brand or model tend to have short print runs and sell out, driving up the prices for used copies. If you want one of these books that are currently in print, don't hesitate too long. Lambrou's book is more general and is easier to find.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Carpio (June 13th, 2023)

Thanks

Stephen Hull is a prolific and knowledgeable writer.

An odd fact is that he never uses a fountain pen.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to RobJohnson For This Useful Post:

Carpio (June 13th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    One of the best written has been out of print for a few years: Paul Erano's "Fountain Pens: Past and Present". A really good overview, especially with past pens, and the many facets of collection, curation, and use. I always keep an eye out for copies, and there are a number of copies currently on www.abebooks.com for very low prices.
    Abebooks have a copy less now, thanks to you, Jon. My copy which I purchased from them arrived from America today. Not had anytime to read it, but I did take a 30 second scroll through. The pens look amazing. Thank you for sharing the shop link.

As for last week,.... I ordered a copy of, The Swan Pen: Mabie Todd in England: 1880-1960 a fortnight ago... when the parcel arrived I was slightly let down when I unwrapped the package. I had been sent a copy of, Fountain Pens for the Million; the History of Conway Stewart: 1905-2005.
    I contacted Conway Stewart (sellers) by email. The next day I was contacted by DLH to say they had a parcel to deliver.... then looked in my emails and I'd been contacted by a gentleman who couldn't appologise enough for the error. As a good will gesture he said I can keep the, Fountain Pens for the Millions, f.o.c as a way of apologising for the error. Gobsmacked. How kind was that.
    Now I have 4 vintage pens and 3 historic pen books. Only thing that would make this week complete, is to see 'The Judge' return to the Outfield against the Athletics, and for my comment in the 'Trump' thread be taken for what it was,.... off the cuff humour, but I wont hold my breath for the latter,... or maybe I should.

Carpio
    "The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes” – Thomas Beecham