Thread: Pilot's Short Pen

Thanks

Default Pilot's Short Pen

Sailor marketed the first Japanese pocket pen in 1963, and it took Pilot about six years to copy the idea: 1969.

However, in 1966 Pilot had tested the market with an equally compact and expandable pen--the Pilot Short:

IMG_1296-blog-7-5-WM.jpg
    IMG_1300-blog-7-5-WM.jpg
    IMG_3280-blog-2-1-WM.jpg

On these pens, part of the barrel would collapse into the wide metal band. And the cap posts very securely onto the pen tail.

On the first two pictures, the pen on the far right, while being a Short model, does not expand/collapse.

As far as I have seen, these pens only implemented 14 K gold nibs.

They were phased out around 1969.

Cheers,

BT
    Iosepus aka Bruno Taut

http://estilofilos.blogspot.com

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to iosepus For This Useful Post:

catbert (May 17th, 2023), christof (May 17th, 2023), Cyril (May 18th, 2023), forester (June 16th, 2023), manoeuver (May 17th, 2023), mizgeorge (May 17th, 2023), myu (October 19th, 2023), PithyProlix (May 17th, 2023), Scribbler (May 17th, 2023), Yazeh (May 17th, 2023)

Thanks

Default Re: Pilot's Short Pen

It's a very interesting pen, of course, and a very good writer but for some reason I don't feel compelled to have more than one. Good thing because I don't see many here.

This one has a ribbed cap and middle band and is probably the most robust metal Pilot cap I have. EDIT: Running my finger along the cap and then looking at it with a loupe, I just now noticed that the cap & middle band are not a ribbed pattern but a checkered pattern, with very thin vertical lines and thicker, much more visible horizontal lines.

The photo makes the resin look almost like a candy apple red metallic. It's just a flat burgundy with the direct lighting reflecting off the surface.
    Last edited by PithyProlix; May 18th, 2023 at 06:26 AM.
    _____
    My pens for sale: https://facebook.com/jaiyen.pens

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PithyProlix For This Useful Post:

catbert (May 18th, 2023), christof (October 18th, 2023), Cyril (May 18th, 2023), forester (June 16th, 2023), iosepus (May 18th, 2023), Lloyd (May 20th, 2023), myu (October 19th, 2023), Yazeh (May 18th, 2023)

Thanks

I see a lot of noise on the Japanese "long short" pens, and not very much on "telescoping" Pilot Shorts!

Both types hold a special place in my heart (and collection), but my daily writer for the past year has been my black Pilot Short. I'm a fan of the timeless design of steel pens, and steel "long short" pens tend to be back-weighted for me. The Pilot Short, when extended, is both balanced and a good length. Those with larger hands can post the cap for a lengthier and weightier pen.

The nib is surprisingly bouncy and very fine - perfect for a daily writer. The cap seals a little better than my "long short" pens. The thin metal, visible dimples and functional clip design do make it look less premium than other steel pocket pens, but the pop of the telescoping section is very satisfying. There's just something about this mechanism and design that makes me reach for it every time.
    Last edited by trbdor; June 16th, 2023 at 02:01 PM.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to trbdor For This Useful Post:

catbert (June 16th, 2023), christof (October 18th, 2023), forester (June 16th, 2023), iosepus (June 21st, 2023), Lloyd (June 16th, 2023), Yazeh (June 16th, 2023)

Thanks

The winter t-shirts are not just for the gym; they're also perfect for post-workout comfort. After an intense session, you can slip into a cozy shirt to keep your body warm and cute tote bags comfortable as you cool down and relax.

Thanks

Thumbs up Re: Pilot's Short Pen

Quote Originally Posted by PithyProlix View Post
    It's a very interesting pen, of course, and a very good writer but for some reason I don't feel compelled to have more than one. Good thing because I don't see many here.

This one has a ribbed cap and middle band and is probably the most robust metal Pilot cap I have. EDIT: Running my finger along the cap and then looking at it with a loupe, I just now noticed that the cap & middle band are not a ribbed pattern but a checkered pattern, with very thin vertical lines and thicker, much more visible horizontal lines.

The photo makes the resin look almost like a candy apple red metallic. It's just a flat burgundy with the direct lighting reflecting off the surface.
    I have a couple of the PILOT pocket telescoping fountain pens, including this burgundy one with gold zogan on the section. Very nice little writer! The mechanism is so simple, but works well and after so many years of existence still functions just fine. PILOT paid great attention to detail. I also thought it was a standard grid pattern, but you're right that it's a bit different. It's almost "industrial" looking.