Thread: Noodler’s Mata Hari’s Cordial

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,213 Posts

Cool Noodler’s Mata Hari’s Cordial

This is truly one of the classiest inks, I’ve ever used. Noodler's has a knack for this type of shades. Such a pleasure to write with, lovely, elegant, well behaved.
    I don’t why this colour was used to commemorate the fabled Mata Hari. I doubt this vintage cocktail named after her, will turn into this shade of burgundy.

A bit about Mata Hari:
    She was born Margaretha Geertruida Zelle in Netherlands 7 August 1876 . Her father at one point was very rich but lost all his money. He was also a mythomaniac. Mata Hari, married a brutish soldier and went to the Dutch West Indies. Her husband was violent and womanizer. She divorced her husband after the death of her son, and though she gained custody of her daughter, she had to abandon her to him as she had no money. In Europe she became, an exotic dancer, a courtesan, creating a persona and constantly changing her biography, a trait inherited from her father. Her nickname was given by a friend, which means “eye of the day,” in Malay.

Photo curtsey of Wikipedia

She had many lovers, a penchant for men in uniform. At the onslaught of WWI, she was recruited by both the Germans and French as a spy. While she’s the inspiration of many a Bond girl, she was inept in the art of spying, unlike the famed Josephine Baker. In 1917, she was used as a scapegoat by the French government and executed by firing squad in October, 15, 1917, after 6 months of deliberation. She was 41,

Several films have made about her, notably one with Greta Garbo and a French one with Jeanne Moreau.
    You can read more about her, here:
    https://www.friesmuseum.nl/en/collec...cons/mata-hari

Or see this documentary:

Now the ink. Lets start with the Chroma:
    chroma 1.jpg
    This is delicious burgundy, very well behaved and joy to write with. While it’s advertised as fluorescent ink, I didn’t see any reaction to UV light.
    Writing samples:
    (All quotes are by Mata Hari)
    Dry time varies depending the pen paper. I was a bit lazy, using the Kanwrite, which is very wet, and was slightly primed. Note the different dry times.
    TR68gr.jpeg
    Midori.jpeg

Note how the ink in a primed feed, turns black.
    Rhodia.jpg
    The following poem is from the Song of Songs, translated by Chana & Ariel Bloch, with a fude nib.
    fude.jpeg
    Photo
    142446B6-D53A-4D29-9E97-0DA59124C0CD_1_201_a.jpg
    Hammermill 20lb copy paper. Back
    Ghosting is minimal
    Hammermill Back.jpg

Watertest:
    It seems this time I put the right side under-running water.
    The excess ink will remove, as you can see, but your document remain legible.
    Watertest.jpeg
    Comparaison:
    Comparaison.jpg

And finally a little sketch, of a cat in uniform in homage to Mata Hari.
    Sketc.jpg

· Pens used: Pilot Kakuna(Ef/Stub) Lamy Safari (Ef/F/M/B), Kanwrite Ultraflex, Jinhao 450 fude nib
    · What I liked: Well lubricated, classy, fast dry times, lovely in all pens.
    · What I did not like: Nothing much. Maybe I can grumble and say, it's water-resistant but not 100% waterproof.
    · What some might not like: Possible of staining transparent sections, the name
    · Shading: Yes, especially with wider nibs.
    · Ghosting: Faint
    · Bleed through: None
    · Flow Rate: Nice.
    · Lubrication: Excellent
    · Nib Dry-out: None.
    · Start-up: None
    · Saturation: Dark
    · Shading Potential: Depending nibs.
    · Sheen: None.
    · Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: None
    · Nib Creep / “Crud”: Nope.
    · Staining (pen): Possible
    · Clogging: No.
    · Cleaning: Normally, this shade of colour is difficult to clean, so having ink cleaning solution is always handy. Pilot Kakuna was very easy, as I could disassemble it, and Q-tip the heck out of it. Lamy needed an overnight soak and a bit more coaxing with the solution. With all permanent inks, the more the ink remains in the pen, the more time consuming it is to clean.
    · Water resistance: It's not waterproof, like the Polar series. A bit of excess ink will be removed.
    · Availability: 90 ml bottles / 3 Oz bottles

Please don't hesitate to share your experience, writing samples or any other comments. The more the merrier
    Last edited by Yazeh; May 19th, 2023 at 05:03 AM.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Yazeh For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (May 20th, 2023), carlos.q (May 18th, 2023), catbert (May 18th, 2023), Chrissy (May 21st, 2023), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (May 20th, 2023), junglejim (May 19th, 2023), LizEF (May 18th, 2023), PithyProlix (May 20th, 2023), Robert (May 18th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (May 18th, 2023)