Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Designing a language...

Thanks

Default Re: Designing a language...

This is a very cool project! I look forward to seeing it evolve!
    "Beware of advice - even this." -- Carl Sandburg

Thanks

Probably the most important part of making a script is making it fit the language it's designed for. So what's the language like?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yipe View Post
    Welcome to the world of conscripting (CONstructing SCRIPTs), which itself is a part of conlanging (CONstructing LANGuages)!

I can't wait to see you new language! Don't forget that you don't have to make your alphabet exactly equal to abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz! Maybe you need a letter just for the TH sound. Maybe you want a letter for the th in then and a different one for the th in thin! Maybe one for the ch in chutzpah? Maybe you don't even make an alphabet! Maybe you make a syllabary! Make each letter stand for a full syllable! So a letter for a, a letter for ba, a letter for da. Or maybe your writing system only has full letters for consonants, and the vowels are represented with accent marks and diacritics!

I could go on forever, but you've stumbled upon one of the funnest, geekiest, and most creative things you can do with a fountain pen, congratulations!
    English used to have two symbols for th, eth and thorn. Eth and thorn were both used in Anglo-Saxon but both th sounds (voiced and unvoiced) were represented by the letters th as Anglo-Saxon changed into Middle English.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

I love to do this! I can't think of how many old notebooks of mine have "____ Alphabet" on the back pages of them. I think I did nearly memorize one of them.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

Adhizen,

The script reminds me of Manchurian or Vulcan (as per Star Trek); no one has yet constructed the Vulcan language, but Manchurian, along with several other written languages, were invented for the purpose of transcribing an existing, long-established spoken language; in that sense they are phonetic and can comply to very few simple rules; an example is the Hangul script developed in Korea for popularizing literacy, and it was a resounding success. But my immediate reaction when seeing your experimental writing is that it's close to Manchurian in structure than anything else I can think of. Good luck!