Thread: Help please, which Sheaffer do I have?

Thanks

Default Help please, which Sheaffer do I have?

Hello, I’m a new Fountain Pen enthusiast and recently got this one from eBay. There wasn’t a lot of info from the seller and I’m having trouble finding out what I may have here. I would also like to know if this model could work with a converter (new/old) l. I appreciate any help, thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Default Re: Help please, which Sheaffer do I have?

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Ooh, that's a bit of a tough one. It is likely from the late 1960s when they were still making a compact cartridge pen, I just can't seem to find a reference to that particular model. You can certainly use a Sheaffer converter, but they primarily made two kinds: a squeeze filler and a piston filler. The piston, while much more common, is a bit longer and doesn't fit in all the cartridge pens. Both of these converters are becoming very hard to find since Sheaffer has been sold a couple of times recently and I don't know that any are in production.

You might contact Teri at Peyton Street Pens - she might not only be able to figure out the particular model but might be able to help you with a converter for the pen. If you haven't used it, dropping the nib/section into a glass of water with a drop or two of dish soap overnight, then flushing it out, should get you going. BTW, even if you don't find a converter, you can flush out cartridges with a blunt needle syringe and then fill it with bottled ink; they actually hold more than the converters!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (May 23rd, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Ooh, that's a bit of a tough one. It is likely from the late 1960s when they were still making a compact cartridge pen, I just can't seem to find a reference to that particular model. You can certainly use a Sheaffer converter, but they primarily made two kinds: a squeeze filler and a piston filler. The piston, while much more common, is a bit longer and doesn't fit in all the cartridge pens. Both of these converters are becoming very hard to find since Sheaffer has been sold a couple of times recently and I don't know that any are in production.

You might contact Teri at Peyton Street Pens - she might not only be able to figure out the particular model but might be able to help you with a converter for the pen. If you haven't used it, dropping the nib/section into a glass of water with a drop or two of dish soap overnight, then flushing it out, should get you going. BTW, even if you don't find a converter, you can flush out cartridges with a blunt needle syringe and then fill it with bottled ink; they actually hold more than the converters!
    Cool! Thanks for your help. I’ll try your suggestion on the nib and cartridge for sure. I’ll also look into Peyton Street Pens as well. Thanks again Jon, I truly appreciate it.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,363 Times in 3,978 Posts

I don't know the exact model but one of the twist action converters will fit if you can find one. Pens with this nib type that accept the standard cartridge have a barrel that is wide enough and long enough for a standard twist converter. Twist action converters fit all of these pens that use that cartridge. School pens, No-Nonsense pens, even Lady Sheaffer, etc. If the pen is slimline and only accepts a slimline cartridge then it needs the older press bar or slimline type of converter too.

I know a Sheaffer expert in Houston and I could send her a copy of the pen to see if she knows the exact model if that's OK.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 10,363 Times in 3,978 Posts

The expert I know has sent me this message:

This looks like the AC 181 Cartridge Pen.
    It's a nib originally marketed as a Lady Sheaffer nib. I've heard it called the "fingernail nib."
    These pens typically write very well.
    It will accept a twist converter BUT it has to be the old version. They sell for $15 - 20.
    The cheap new Chinese-made converters now on sale look the same but will not fit. They are made for the new line of Sheaffer pens.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

amk (May 22nd, 2023), Jon Szanto (May 22nd, 2023), LuckyLefty19 (May 22nd, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (May 23rd, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I don't know the exact model but one of the twist action converters will fit if you can find one. Pens with this nib type that accept the standard cartridge have a barrel that is wide enough and long enough for a standard twist converter. Twist action converters fit all of these pens that use that cartridge. School pens, No-Nonsense pens, even Lady Sheaffer, etc. If the pen is slimline and only accepts a slimline cartridge then it needs the older press bar or slimline type of converter too.

I know a Sheaffer expert in Houston and I could send her a copy of the pen to see if she knows the exact model if that's OK.
    Thanks Chrissy, yes please send pics to your expert! I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    The expert I know has sent me this message:

This looks like the AC 181 Cartridge Pen.
    It's a nib originally marketed as a Lady Sheaffer nib. I've heard it called the "fingernail nib."
    These pens typically write very well.
    It will accept a twist converter BUT it has to be the old version. They sell for $15 - 20.
    The cheap new Chinese-made converters now on sale look the same but will not fit. They are made for the new line of Sheaffer pens.
    Awesome! Thank you!!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,424 Times in 1,716 Posts

I might have one of these. Like just about all Sheaffers it writes well. If you can't find a converter at a reasonable price just re-fill the carts. Easy enough. Or, if you're in the CONUS, I could send you some Sheaffer cartridges.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

LuckyLefty19 (May 23rd, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    I might have one of these. Like just about all Sheaffers it writes well. If you can't find a converter at a reasonable price just re-fill the carts. Easy enough. Or, if you're in the CONUS, I could send you some Sheaffer cartridges.
    Thank you so much! I have an empty cartridge I’m going to try and refill. I’m soaking the nib and feed now. It’s pretty full of gunk in there but I believe it’s going to come out and be useable.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to LuckyLefty19 For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (May 23rd, 2023)