Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Before putting ink into a fountain pen ...

Thanks

Default Before putting ink into a fountain pen ...

Hello,

I've looked over the forum and can't decide which part of the many offerings to ask my question, so if I'm in the wrong place, I offer my apologies in advance.

What I would like to ask is this: Is it advisable to 'flush' a new, never been used before fountain pen out before adding ink?
    Also....
    Once a pen has been used with ink and about to change to a different coloured ink, can I use, without causing damage? to the pen, Isopropanol. I can't see as it would cause harm to use in cleaning, but I'd like to be sure that it is OK.

Many thanks,

Carpio

Thanks

Default Re: Before putting ink into a fountain pen ...

Don't use anything to flush your pen besides cold to lukewarm water (maybe with a household dish detergent, but flush this out very thoroughly!) or specific pen flush.

Alcohol or other harsh cleaning solutions may cause damage to not only the surface but to the various materials in general.

Besides: Don't underestimate water! Most inks are water-soluble, so simple ol' water does the job just fine!

3. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to JulieParadise For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Bisquitlips (May 24th, 2023), Chuck Naill (May 23rd, 2023), Deb (May 25th, 2023), forester (May 22nd, 2023), Jon Szanto (May 22nd, 2023), KBeezie (July 27th, 2023), LizEF (May 22nd, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (May 22nd, 2023), Schaumburg_Swan (May 22nd, 2023), Stands on Feet (May 22nd, 2023), TSherbs (May 22nd, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 562 Posts

Welcome to FPGeeks, Carpio!

Quote Originally Posted by Carpio View Post
    What I would like to ask is this: Is it advisable to 'flush' a new, never been used before fountain pen out before adding ink?
    People disagree on that. I'll say that doing so will save time if there's a problem (because you'll already know the problem isn't from any left over debris or machining oils from manufacturing). If you're going to do it, use either a pen flush or water with a tiny bit of liquid dish soap mixed in (since the point is to remove oils, water alone won't do it). I'll also say that in my experience, it's rare that a pen needs this, but every now and then, one does, so it's just safer to do it...

Once a pen has been used with ink and about to change to a different coloured ink, can I use, without causing damage? to the pen, Isopropanol. I can't see as it would cause harm to use in cleaning, but I'd like to be sure that it is OK.
    Do not use Isopropanol to clean your pen. Depending on the material the pen is made of, it can cause damage to the materials. TWSBI, for example, include specific instructions with (some of?) their pens to not use alcohol. The preferred cleaning solution when changing inks is plain old water. Except for stubborn or staining inks, or inks that were allowed to dry in the pen, this is enough. For more stubborn inks, the recommendations are usually to use the following, after water has done most of the work:

• For iron gall inks, use vinegar or acetic acid
    • For staining inks, use a bleach solution or a "cleaner ink"
    • For stubborn inks, use a pen flush (commercial or home-made) with ammonia - ammonia breaks down ink like nothing else I've encountered

The two cleaner inks I know of are: Sailor Doyou and Noodler's Rattler Red. You fill the stained pen with this ink and use it like normal. In theory, by the time your fill is used up (or perhaps a second fill in bad cases?), the stain is gone.

NOTE: Never mix any Noodler's Baystate ink with an ink not from that series. (If a Baystate ink stains your pen - and it will, because that's what they do - use a bleach solution to remove the stain.)

Hope that helps!

If you want to make your own pen flush, the recipe is:
    • 1 part ammonia
    • 9-10 parts water
    • drop of liquid dish soap

ETA: The above applies to modern pens made with common materials. If your pen is vintage or made with some unusual material or is super expensive, please research the specific materials - or stick to safe inks and water! Also, never soak metal in anything other than plain water!
    Last edited by LizEF; May 22nd, 2023 at 07:30 AM.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

INeedAFinancialAdvisor (May 24th, 2023), Lloyd (May 22nd, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (May 22nd, 2023), trbdor (June 16th, 2023), TSherbs (May 22nd, 2023)

Thanks

Many thanks for the swift replies. Much obliged. I'll throw the Isopropanol in the bin.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 562 Posts

Many thanks for the swift replies. Much obliged.
    You're very welcome!

I'll throw the Isopropanol in the bin.
    Or maybe save it for some other use...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (May 22nd, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,363 Times in 3,978 Posts

I would certainly go with just using water. Definitely not isopropanol
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

pre-flushing a pen? What is that??

I've only done that once on 88 pens...when I knew that the pen had been ink-tested before being shipped and I could see ink on the nib when it arrived...

But I have only very hard water at my house, and no local access to distilled water, so....my first fill with ink has always been enough. Now, nib condition out of the box is a whole other matter....

Thanks
    Thanked 3,424 Times in 1,716 Posts

After trying to put a pink ink in a Jinhao, and coming up with purple, I now flush only that brand.

Oh, wait. I also draw and release water, just to see if the pen works at all.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

'Or maybe save it for some other use... '

Good job you said that. I was on my way to the bin, then I remembered why I bought it. For cleaning my guitars.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Carpio For This Useful Post:

LizEF (May 22nd, 2023)

Thanks

Don't go too crazy.

A little warm water at first will go a long, long way to cleansing your pens.

After that, if you are unhappy with the results, try some pen flush. Follow the directions in the package.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JulieParadise View Post
    Don't use anything to flush your pen besides cold to lukewarm water (maybe with a household dish detergent, but flush this out very thoroughly!) or specific pen flush.

Alcohol or other harsh cleaning solutions may cause damage to not only the surface but to the various materials in general.

Besides: Don't underestimate water! Most inks are water-soluble, so simple ol' water does the job just fine!
    Reminds me of the old Q-Tip commercial...never stick anything in your ear except your elbow.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Wile E Coyote For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (May 25th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Good job you said that. I was on my way to the bin, then I remembered why I bought it. For cleaning my guitars.
    only "pure" isopropyl alcohol is recommended for this (assuming that you mean cleaning the strings) . . . .avoid using standard "rubbing alcohol" and other such variants that have water in them, and keep it off the fretboard (I don't use it cuz I am too clumsy to do it right, for sure).

Thanks

Hello,

Thanks for that, TSherbs.
    Yes, I only use it on the strings. I loosen the strings just enough to get an old, thin t-towel underneath to protect the fret board.
    I have to be honest and say that I shouldn't really bother, and to stop being a tight sod and just change the strings because I have a lot of packets of strings. Certainly more strings than fountain pens. Only just, mind.

Carpio
    "The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes” – Thomas Beecham

Thanks

To flush a pen, you can use lukewarm water and fill and empty the pen's ink reservoir several times until the water runs clear. You can also add a drop of dish soap to the water for a deeper clean. It's important to thoroughly dry the pen before adding ink to prevent dilution or contamination of the ink. That helps to remove any manufacturing residue or other contaminants that may have accumulated in the pen's feed or nib, which can affect the pen's performance and the quality of the ink flow.
    Last edited by auerkadin; June 26th, 2023 at 12:24 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by auerkadin View Post
    To flush a pen, you can use lukewarm water and fill and empty the pen's ink reservoir several times until the water runs clear. You can also add a drop of dish soap to the water for a deeper clean. It's important to thoroughly dry the pen before adding ink to prevent dilution or contamination of the ink. That helps to remove any manufacturing residue or other contaminants that may have accumulated in the pen's feed or nib, which can affect the pen's performance and the quality of the ink flow.
    A(u)I?

Thanks

Another of the negative aspects of all this spam is that anyone who is new to the forum, especially if they include a link within their post I automatically ignore, if you are like me and do what you can to help and advise the genuine new person it is damned annoying to have this taken away.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to RobJohnson For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (June 26th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,363 Times in 3,978 Posts

auerkadin is a spam bot that doesn't seek answers. You can tell as soon as you look at the other posts it has posted. Reported
    @AlohaPens please don't Reply with Quote and repost these spam links
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (June 26th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Don’t use alcohol on guitars. Untreated fretboard gets mineral oil a couple of times a year. Sometimes sold as lemon oil (e.g.: Dunlop 65), it’s just mineral oil with lemon scent. Real lemon oil (extracted from lemon rinds) shouldn’t be used. If the fretboard is gunky, use 00 steel wool lightly first.

For the body, naphtha if you must - but a damp rag is best. If it’s got a French polish finish, alcohol will dissolve it. I use Meguiars #34 ‘Final Inspection’. It’s an automotive product, but doesn’t have silicone or carnauba wax in it.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks

Yep, only slightly damp warm water cloth on your git, followed by a good rub with a dry cloth.
    www.whittakerdesign.com.au/guitars

Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 637 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post

Don’t use alcohol on guitars.
    Save it for the guitarists.

Typos courtesy of Samsung Auto-Incorrect™
    M: I came here for a good argument.
    A: No you didn't; no, you came here for an argument.
    M: An argument isn't just contradiction.
    A: It can be.
    M: No it can't. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
    A: No it isn't.
    M: Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
    A: Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
    M: Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
    A: Yes it is!
    M: No it isn't!