Thread: How to remove an initial previous owner printed or painted on the cap of fountain pen

Thanks

Default How to remove an initial previous owner printed or painted on the cap of fountain pen

Hello,

Any idea how remove this initial R that the previous owner painted on the cap of a Rotring 600 fountain pen without damaging the cap ?

Kind regards

PXL_20230525_110035987.jpg

Thanks

Default Re: How to remove an initial previous owner printed or painted on the cap of fountain

Trying to think what paint has been used and how because it is very neatly done almost too neat to have been simply painted on by hand, hard to tell from the pic, I assume that there is no recess or indentation on the cap. Are you certain that the R comes from a previous owner and not Rotring or a corporate logo, the quality looks more factory than amateur.

However, if you are certain that R has been painted on I would start with the easy option and see if the paint will scrape off with your thumbnail, it should scrape off even if it is water or oil based paint.

The end result may need some improving, I would use a nail buffing block, a foam block with four sides of abrasive material.
    Last edited by RobJohnson; May 25th, 2023 at 07:42 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RobJohnson For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (May 25th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,465 Times in 4,005 Posts

Default Re: How to remove an initial previous owner printed or painted on the cap of fountain

If you can be sure it wasn't placed on there by Rotring - maybe look at it through a decent loupe - and it doesn't scrape off, then maybe you could try washing it in detergent and warm water. If that doesn't work then it's probably waterproof and maybe try a cotton bud dipped in isopropanol to see if that has any effect. If you don't have that and you still have some antibacterial hand gel left using that on the end of your cotton bud might work. Don't leave either on for any length of time. If they don't remove it immediately be sure to wipe them off straight away.

It's actually not too bad just having an R on the end of the cap of a Rotring pen. Could have been worse. Maybe a teacher used it for red ink?
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Trying to think what paint has been used and how because it is very neatly done almost too neat to have been simply painted on by hand, hard to tell from the pic, I assume that there is no recess or indentation on the cap. Are you certain that the R comes from a previous owner and not Rotring or a corporate logo, the quality looks more factory than amateur.

However, if you are certain that R has been painted on I would start with the easy option and see if the paint will scrape off with your thumbnail, it should scrape off even if it is water or oil based paint.

The end result may need some improving, I would use a nail buffing block, a foam block with four sides of abrasive material.

It is printed quality. It does not come off with a simple nail scratch. Very good quality as you said. This is the only R I have seen on the whole internet pictures. Wouldn't there be a second one ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    If you can be sure it wasn't placed on there by Rotring - maybe look at it through a decent loupe - and it doesn't scrape off, then maybe you could try washing it in detergent and warm water. If that doesn't work then it's probably waterproof and maybe try a cotton bud dipped in isopropanol to see if that has any effect. If you don't have that and you still have some antibacterial hand gel left using that on the end of your cotton bud might work. Don't leave either on for any length of time. If they don't remove it immediately be sure to wipe them off straight away.

It's actually not too bad just having an R on the end of the cap of a Rotring pen. Could have been worse. Maybe a teacher used it for red ink?
    I am looking for a second picture with an R on the cap in the internet. Can't find a second ...

Oh well I may as well leave it instead of damaging the colour. Don't want to put chemicals on it and it does not go away with soap and scrub ... tried it like 12 years ago when I got hold of it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kupepe For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 26th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kupepe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post

It is printed quality. It does not come off with a simple nail scratch. Very good quality as you said. This is the only R I have seen on the whole internet pictures. Wouldn't there be a second one ?
    I could not find another either, I agree you would think that there would be another example if it was to signify the maker or a corporate logo.

The good news is that it appears to be professional in appearance, I have even searched to see if I could find this particular design of logo from the maker, without success. I would agree with you, keep the logo, in fact Run with it!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RobJohnson For This Useful Post:

Kupepe (May 26th, 2023)