Thread: Filling an Eyedropper

Thanks

Default Filling an Eyedropper

Hello,

I've been viewing quite a few pens just recently, and I came across several 'eydropper' pens. I was intrigued so I went to youtube and typed in how to fill an eyedropper. The clip I watched was from a man from 'Goldspot', so I knew it would be a positive viewing. Anyway, he said - he had a pipette, some ink (I was chuffed when he said what ink because I have 2 bottles of the exact same ink), he also said he had a small quantity of silicone gel. I watched the video, so now I know how to fill an 'Eyedropper'. My question(s) are this -

1) Can I use any silicone gel, or is it a particular type?
    2) Is the practice of using the gel important to use on all eyedroppers?

3) I actually said to my monitor - 'don't get any inside the tube' (so far as when the guy was placing it around the thread)
    4) If I can't find silicone gel, can I use 'copper grease'?

I jest with question #4..... I meant axle grease

Many thanks in advance

Carpio
    "The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes” – Thomas Beecham

Thanks
    Thanked 11,075 Times in 4,023 Posts

Default Re: Filling an Eyedropper

Don't use ANYTHING other than 100% (often referred to as "food grade") silicone gel, sometimes called silicone grease, as well. You don't want any additives or other elements in it that could interact with the pen body materials. If in doubt, just check with any number of known online pen retailers, who now regularly carry it. And when you put some on the threads to seal the barrel, you only need a very small amount, don't goop it on.

Pro-tip: practice by putting on the silicone and then filling with water - if you have any leaks, it won't be messy like ink. Then just dry out the pen and put the ink in.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,351 Times in 357 Posts

Hi. I have many eyedroppers, and have been using all of them for several years, and have not put any form of grease on their threads ever.
    Most , if not all eyedroppers are made with threads that are specifically cut to be tight enough that they seal without any help.
    This is not to say that there isn’t examples of ones that do need it, but I suspect that even they may not really have needed it.
    Many of mine are over a hundred years old, and still seal tightly every time !!
    As Jon says, test it out with water if you want, but chances are it won’t be necessary.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,943 Times in 847 Posts

Well said, Rob. Most of my eyedroppers are Swans or Watermans with precision-cut threads that need no assistance kin keeping the ink in. I think it's only when these threads have become very worn that the grease is needed - not a very common thing in my experience.
    Regards,
    Deb
    My Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,015 Posts

I only have modern eyedropper fill pens (Moonman now called Majohn) and they have O rings that should provide a good enough seal without the additional need for silicone grease. I still tend to add a little to the screw threads because it prevents ink creeping into the threads.

Carpio many pen companies and pen shops provide specific products that are suitable for use in fountain pens. These are the ones that are recommended and have been tested by many people over many years. You will soon get into trouble if you try to substitute alternatives that you already have. It's best to stick with only products made for fountain pens. Small pots of silicone grease for pens are available for little cost from all of the online pen companies in the UK. Something like this could easily be added when you're buying ink and trying to get up to the minimum spend for free delivery. Check out the spares and parts pages for useful stuff like this.
    Last edited by Chrissy; June 8th, 2023 at 12:49 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

A note of caution.

Some people convert modern pens, cartridge pens for example, into eyedroppers by simply using the barrel as an ink container. quite a sizable container too, with threads that were designed more for quick release than ink retention.

Thanks

Hello,

Thank you very much for the speedy replies. Much appreciated.
    I've made a mental note, and will do what has been advised and test with water first, and I wont use anything but the correct grease if needed.

Many thanks,

Carpio
    "The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes” – Thomas Beecham

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carpio For This Useful Post:

Deb (June 8th, 2023), RobJohnson (June 8th, 2023)