Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filling a cartridge

Thanks

Default Filling a cartridge

Some of you may be uncomfortable with going into a pharmacy to buy a syringe.

These cartridge refillers are purpose made and available from Amazon for around £6

Hope this helps someone

image.jpeg

You will see that the converter actually includes a small spring which breaks the meniscus, often missing on other more expensive converters.

The converter can be used on its own on pens that take an international size cartridge.
    Last edited by RobJohnson; June 10th, 2023 at 09:23 AM.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RobJohnson For This Useful Post:

catbert (June 10th, 2023), forester (June 11th, 2023), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (June 24th, 2023), Robalone (June 11th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (June 10th, 2023), Scrawler (June 17th, 2023), vdiantonio (June 12th, 2023), Yazeh (June 10th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,754 Posts

Default Re: Filling a cartridge

Cool product, thanks. I've been using either industrial (blunt) syringes or plastic pipettes.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

RobJohnson (June 10th, 2023)

Thanks

They work well, my last syringe broke and I have just managed without for a while but these do the job and your fingers are not at risk from ink stains being some distance from the ink bottle and the cartridge.

Cheap enough to gift one of the six to a pen buddy.

I haven't said so but the needles are blunt of course.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,078 Times in 4,024 Posts

I've always used syringes, but a couple months ago I picked up a pack of the ones on the right, in red. I might suggest against that purchase, and try either of the piston/twist models. The issue I had was that the spring was stiff and the piston often gets stuck at the back. With a really thin object to grip, it makes it hard to press down the plunger with out the entire unit flying out of your hand. Bottom line is that it felt awkward enough that I didn't end up sticking it in any ink bottles for fear of a mess, and went back to my blunt needle syringes.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

RobJohnson (June 10th, 2023), Scrawler (June 17th, 2023)

Thanks

I have only used the red 'pump' filler so far, as Jon suggests, it was hesitant to move, I was going to write stuck but that was too strong, A couple more presses on the spring and it filled nicely, held the ink and then discharged into the cartridge. I flushed it after the fill.

Just been to check it and no hesitancy, it is a proper pump action and different to use, as you say, a twist to fill may be a little more certain.
    Last edited by RobJohnson; June 10th, 2023 at 12:04 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RobJohnson For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (June 10th, 2023)

Thanks

Meh, Rob, mine might have just been a wonky example. I'll try them again.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

The benefit of the red pump filler is that it is all done with one hand, the finger pressure is about the same as a Parker Speedline filler.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,512 Times in 4,019 Posts

I also bought a pack of the red springy ones from Amazon UK and use them all of the time for filling cartridges and converters. Easy.

On my red springy ones it's very simple to unscrew the red threaded disc part at the top of the tube, disassemble it, and add a tiny dot of silicone grease to the internal plunger every once in a while to keep it's action very smooth rather than letting it get jerky.

Plunger filler.jpg
    Last edited by Chrissy; June 10th, 2023 at 11:52 PM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

forester (June 11th, 2023), Jon Szanto (June 11th, 2023), Stands on Feet (June 11th, 2023)

Thanks

I put some in my cart, but the reviews spoke of difficult assembly and application. Any particular brand that works better than another?

Thanks

I just did what Chrissy suggested, took it apart and greased the piston head. Works better now, also took out the little spring inside to make more room for ink, and I might try to trim a bit of the spring on the plunger rod because it seems stiffer and longer than necessary. Then I'll try loading out of a sample vial for starters. Glad this came up and I might actually make use of them!

~ Benjamin Franklin

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

RobJohnson (June 11th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,512 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    I put some in my cart, but the reviews spoke of difficult assembly and application. Any particular brand that works better than another?
    Maybe some of the different converter styles in mixed sets don't fit so well into those pens that buyers tried them in?
    I have had no problems with my set of red springy ones.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    Hi

I am not sure what is meant by the word application.

They will arrive with three sets of components, a converter, a small plastic thing and a metal rod. They all fit together of course. The plastic part fits into the converter, you will need a firm hand as it is a tight fit. The metal rod fits onto the plastic adapted, again it is a tight fit but you really wouldn't want it any different.

I cannot say that it is a difficult assembly, you will have all six done within two minutes without tools or anything else.

Trying to think of what the application issue might be, if you have filled a cartridge by a syringe then this is, IMHO, easier.

The benefit of the red pumper is that it can filled and emptied with one hand whereas my last syringe needed two and too stiff for risk free filling.

The maker of the set that I bought was Toyandona and the Amazon distributor was Waldenwde.
    Last edited by RobJohnson; June 11th, 2023 at 09:58 AM.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RobJohnson For This Useful Post:

forester (June 11th, 2023), Jon Szanto (June 11th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (June 11th, 2023)

Thanks

Rob, by application I mean that reviewers on Amazon had trouble pressing the plunger and said the spring was too stiff. My hands are weak so this might give me problems. The one in my wish list is 'Asvine,' but I can't recall if they're all red.

Seems like something that would be fun!

Thanks

Very best of luck

I am half way through Titannic, I have broken off to make sure I know what I am talking about, so you are honoured!

The six I bought have four normal converters and two pump springers. I have retried the springers by holding the converter between my thumb and middle finger and pressing the plunger with my index finger, it is as easy as filling a Vacumatic. Just for the sake of it I tried using my little finger to see if someone with less strength in their fingers could use it, a very awkward grip, but it still worked.

I haven't tried the grease in the top of the barrel but that can only help, I think that there is an engineering term called stiction, meaning a slight reluction to move, the emphasis is on the word slight, I have known worse in Pelikans etc.

Best wishes
    Last edited by RobJohnson; June 12th, 2023 at 05:22 AM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to RobJohnson For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (June 11th, 2023)

Thanks

I think a lot of the issues can just be chalked up to varying degrees of quality control in manufacture. A couple of mine *really* want to stick at the fully open state, and require a pretty good post to get the plunger going; the others don't. One other bit that might be handy, especially with highly saturated inks, is that unscrewing the back end is so easy that you could do that and then stick the tip of a bulb syringe in the back end and do a quick power flush to clean it out for the next use.

~ Benjamin Franklin

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (June 11th, 2023), forester (June 11th, 2023), RobJohnson (June 11th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (June 11th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,262 Posts

I also use these all the time. I find them particularly good for mixing inks in precise proportions, and also for adding single drops of wettener (or whatever) accurately.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mizgeorge For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (June 11th, 2023), forester (June 11th, 2023), Jon Szanto (June 11th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (June 11th, 2023)

Thanks

I bought a 5-pack of the Asvine red springy ones back in 2021, based on a post here by Chrissy. They work fine. The one I opened of the five is OK, so I can't comment meaningfully on their quality control.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stands on Feet For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (June 11th, 2023), RobJohnson (June 11th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (June 11th, 2023)

Thanks

Just for laughs, I press-fitted the business end of a blunt syringe onto a standard twist converter and filled it. It worked sort of okay, but offered no true advantage over bottle-filling or pipette-filling.

The Asvine set's still in my wish list.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

RobJohnson (June 12th, 2023)

Thanks

I bought a pack of 10x 5ml syringes from Amazon UK for £6.99 and they are excellent. Having so many, means that if I'm doing several ink swaps or refills at the same time, I don't need to wait for one to dry out before I move onto the next. The quality is very good, with nice and smooth plungers. As mentioned above, with that number, you can pass a few out to friends.

David

Thanks
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 397 Posts

I was about to put a note up about this... The ones above are blunt needle.

You can buy blunt needle industrial syringes on Ebay and Amazon. An Amazon search for "industrial syringes" comes up with a variety of size syringes with different gauge needles o you can do everything from filling cartridges to flushing out snorkel tubes or Vac breather tubes. Good things to have around.
    Last edited by Ron Z; June 24th, 2023 at 08:16 AM.

Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

dkpw (July 3rd, 2023)