Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How many new pen acquisitions per week, month or year?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

Default Re: How many new pen acquisitions per week, month or year?

I try not to think about it but I think I have averaged atleast two a month this year.
    As Kaisnowbird says "But there are so many beautiful pens out there"
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks

No plan at all but I recognise my buying habits and not just for pens. I suffer a bit from retail therapy but I'm not a wasteful person and everything I buy has to be used or I sell it.

Thanks

About one a month for the last year, sometimes one every two months.

Thanks

I think my personal record is 30-40 pens in one month, which also accounts for my pen collection expanding so violently in one year...but then again, I got a hefty discount from the seller (- my regular pen "pusher"...), so I only had to pay between 1-2 USD per pen.
    Normally I only buy up to 10 pens per month, and sometimes I don't buy any at all, so it isn't so bad after all.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BikerBabe View Post
    I think my personal record is 30-40 pens in one month, which also accounts for my pen collection expanding so violently in one year...but then again, I got a hefty discount from the seller (- my regular pen "pusher"...), so I only had to pay between 1-2 USD per pen.
    Normally I only buy up to 10 pens per month, and sometimes I don't buy any at all, so it isn't so bad after all.
    $1-2 per pen!! If I can lay my hands on deals like this, 30-40 pens per month would be a minimum.
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu

Thanks

Last month I was on Holiday in USA and I saw so many beautifull pens, so I bought 3 of them.
    I don't have a plan and I try to discipline myself. Unfortunately, not always with success.
    Regards from Germany, Irene

Thanks

I'm running at about two a month and trying to cut down to one without success! I always buy a couple of inks with every pen and once a year, try to treat myself to a higher end pen.

It's comforting to know that my buying habits are modest in comparison to many geeks on here!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kaisnowbird View Post
    I'm curious about how often we all buy pens.

For me, I have a set pen+ink monthly budget, unfinished funds are rolled over; returns from sales are additional bonuses. So every month I usually have 2 to 4 new acquisitions.

For September, I have a clear Pilot Custom Heritage 92 M/F nib (I absolutely love it!) and a Pilot Parallel 1.5 mm (underwhelming). Still have a little left over, I'm thinking about a vintage Skyline or something from Greg Minuskin.
    I think it's great you budget for it!

I don't have a set budget for pens. (Although I do for ink!) If I really want a pen, I have to plan for it which means saving a little out of my tiny discretionary fund, or selling a pen(s!) to make way for another.

I bought 2 pens this year. I like to think I won't buy another pen. But hey...could happen. If I get another pen, it'll likely be an Edison pen... it will have to be next year, after I've saved up for it.
    ...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August
    ...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

Thanks

I can not make a proper plan as this would have to be modified according to my mood at least on a daily basis. I have purchased something like 15 pens this year already, there are only 2 more in flight from China and 2 more on the shortlist from Germany and the UK and that's it for this year, except the Italian one under the Christmas tree, that's already hidden in the house somewhere
    My collection of EDC pens is then more or less complete. For next year I am eyeing a few high level pens from the UK and Japan so I expect there is only room in the budget for maybe 2 max. 3 of those. Maybe some more low budget pens from China if I come across something special. For the rest there will some inks, some paper and accessories like pouches and a proper desk-box for display/storage.
    So for the original question: averaging 1 to 2 a month this year, maybe 3 to 6 next year.
    here men from the pennet earth
    first set nib on the moon
    we came in peace for all penknid

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jde View Post
    I think it's great you budget for it!

I don't have a set budget for pens. (Although I do for ink!) If I really want a pen, I have to plan for it which means saving a little out of my tiny discretionary fund, or selling a pen(s!) to make way for another.

I bought 2 pens this year. I like to think I won't buy another pen. But hey...could happen. If I get another pen, it'll likely be an Edison pen... it will have to be next year, after I've saved up for it.
    Thanks. The good thing about budgeting is it allows me impulse purchases as long as it's within the set limit.

You reminded me -- I can't believe that I still don't have an Edison pen. I've been wanting to buy a Collier for almost a year. It's just that at its price point (or lower), there are many other pens doing a good job of distracting me. Hopefully when October comes and my budget is refreshed, I'll finally get one.

By the way, are you thinking about getting a production line Edison or more customized one?
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu

Thanks

Thanks. The good thing about budgeting is it allows me impulse purchases as long as it's within the set limit.

You reminded me -- I can't believe that I still don't have an Edison pen. I've been wanting to buy a Collier for almost a year. It's just that at its price point (or lower), there are many other pens doing a good job of distracting me. Hopefully when October comes and my budget is refreshed, I'll finally get one.

By the way, are you thinking about getting a production line Edison or more customized one?
    In my head right now is the Edison Menlo from the signature line. One of my pens this year was a custom Edison, and it has become my primary pen! I really love the Menlo... got to try out a friend's for a week or so. But by January who knows what my thinking will be!

It took me a long time to discover what pens worked for me. It was easy to be distracted in the beginning with "oh, that pen is only $20" type of thinking. I've learned that all those little purchases can add up to a bigger one, and so refocused how I spend. Not to slight the $20 pen if you have one you love (mine were mostly Esterbrooks, great vintage pens!). I just found there were pens I loved more.

BTW: Love that Mark Twain quote "ink by the barrel" in your sig. Do you have a source for it? You can PM me if ya do! Would appreciate knowing it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jde For This Useful Post:

Jeph (September 18th, 2013)

Thanks

It took me a long time to discover what pens worked for me. It was easy to be distracted in the beginning with "oh, that pen is only $20" type of thinking. I've learned that all those little purchases can add up to a bigger one, and so refocused how I spend. Not to slight the $20 pen if you have one you love (mine were mostly Esterbrooks, great vintage pens!). I just found there were pens I loved more...
    There is a great deal of wisdom there.

Although it is also true that snagging those 10-20 dollar pens in the beginning allows you to figure these things out for yourself before you break the bank on a pen you end up not liking. It also allows you to understand what that extra money is getting you. Sometimes it is not much and sometimes it is a great deal.

On a side note, after my previous post I went a little out of control so my buying for the rest of the year is curtailed unless I decide to part with some of my pens. That is not likely to happen.
    I used to think that I was a user becoming a collector. Now I think that I might be an accumulator masqerading as a user. I wonder if there is a support group for that? I hope not.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeph For This Useful Post:

jde (September 18th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeph View Post
    I wonder if there is a support group for that?
    There is and you already belong to it. We call it the FPGeeks forum.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Feardorcha For This Useful Post:

Jeph (September 18th, 2013), Tracy Lee (September 18th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Feardorcha View Post
    Unless by support he means "help in stopping" as opposed to "enabling."

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Feardorcha (September 18th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    What's "stopping"?

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Feardorcha For This Useful Post:

ChrisC (September 20th, 2013), Laura N (September 18th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,078 Times in 4,024 Posts

What's "stopping"?
    Unemployment?
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

What's "stopping"?
    It's blasphemy, is what it is. Words like that should be banned from the forum! Moderator? Anyone?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tracy Lee For This Useful Post:

Feardorcha (September 18th, 2013), kaisnowbird (September 20th, 2013), Laura N (September 18th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

What's "stopping"?
    It's that thing other people do. Somewhere else.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Laura N For This Useful Post:

Tracy Lee (September 18th, 2013)

Thanks

In my head right now is the Edison Menlo from the signature line. One of my pens this year was a custom Edison, and it has become my primary pen! I really love the Menlo... got to try out a friend's for a week or so. But by January who knows what my thinking will be!

It took me a long time to discover what pens worked for me. It was easy to be distracted in the beginning with "oh, that pen is only $20" type of thinking. I've learned that all those little purchases can add up to a bigger one, and so refocused how I spend. Not to slight the $20 pen if you have one you love (mine were mostly Esterbrooks, great vintage pens!). I just found there were pens I loved more.

BTW: Love that Mark Twain quote "ink by the barrel" in your sig. Do you have a source for it? You can PM me if ya do! Would appreciate knowing it.
    I do wish now that I had saved on those $20-$50 pens and used the total to buy a really nice piece that I wanted. It's no coincidence that those cheaper pens have recently been cleaned and put away with only the three most expensive ones still in use. I think with me there was a process I had to go through before I could psychologically commit to spending more than $100 for a single pen. I've got no problem with it now as I know what I like.

Thanks

I can so relate to earlier posts that the $20 pens add up and take away from pens a person really prefers. I have come to this very same conclusion.

I now and again purchase a fountain pen between major purchases entirely as a novelty. Unfortunately, for my wallet, my $200 tastes are now $600 tastes so the odd $200 pen gets picked up.

I am also starting to favour some plus $1000 items and trying to find them for the $800 range of pricing. I justify the odd $200 purchase of a used pen or c/c pen with a steel nib as being part of a previously great fine at a super price. My tastes are evolving it seems.

Mags sent from my blackberry playbook using tapatalks
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.