Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: MB 146 piston service

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    44
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 27 Times in 11 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default MB 146 piston service

    Can someone recommend a good repair person to service or repair my MB 146? The piston is very hard to turn.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    1,204
    Thanks
    449
    Thanked 501 Times in 333 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: MB 146 piston service

    Quote Originally Posted by RonLyke View Post
    Can someone recommend a good repair person to service or repair my MB 146? The piston is very hard to turn.
    Thanks
    You might find this video to be of interest..........
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKge7uVqOEo

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

    Chrissy (July 3rd, 2023)

  4. #3
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    11,443
    Thanks
    6,916
    Thanked 10,426 Times in 3,996 Posts
    Rep Power
    24

    Default Re: MB 146 piston service

    I was very surprised to see a repair person applying all of that silicone grease to the feed and feed channels. I take great care to only grease threads and ensure I get no grease anywhere near the actual route that the ink will take out of the nib.

    I wish he had tried inking up that 149 and writing with it because I'm not sure it would have written very well if at all.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

    724Seney (July 3rd, 2023)

  6. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    1,204
    Thanks
    449
    Thanked 501 Times in 333 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: MB 146 piston service

    Agree! I remember thinking that he used more silicone grease on that one pen than I tend to use in a month!!

    I did think, however, that the video was a good resource for someone who was interested in doing the work themself.
    It really is a very simple, easy process.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

    Chrissy (July 3rd, 2023)

  8. #5
    Senior Member dneal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    6,040
    Thanks
    2,414
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 1,314 Posts
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: MB 146 piston service

    Good disassembly video, bad silicon grease advice.

    Silicon grease is primarily to keep O-rings from binding, or applications where you need a food-safe lubricant. It's not a sealant.

    The first reason is why it works well in many pen applications. A little on the piston, and a little on the threaded shaft; and it'll be good for decades.

    For the OP - there can be other causes, but lack of lube is the most common. If you're not comfortable taking it apart, it should be a simple fix for any repairman. Montblanc will service the entire pen for a fee.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

    Chrissy (July 4th, 2023)

  10. #6
    Senior Member Ron Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Western Pennsylvania
    Posts
    615
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 397 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: MB 146 piston service

    A good silicone grease for this is Molykote 111. It's designed for 0-rings, and designed to resist washing it off. It's what I've used for years, and is what I have on the website. As noted, apply to the seal, and keep it on the edge and behind the seal so that it does not transfer to the feed. We very often find it in globs in a pen. Not needed - a little goes a very long way!

    I had a Boheme in the shop a few months back that wouldn't write. Someone had slathered silicone grease in the mechanism and it got into the feed. No wonder it didn't write! Once cleaned well, including the piercing tube and feed, it wrote well.

    Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

    Chrissy (July 4th, 2023)

  12. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    1,204
    Thanks
    449
    Thanked 501 Times in 333 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: MB 146 piston service

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    A good silicone grease for this is Molykote 111. It's designed for 0-rings, and designed to resist washing it off. It's what I've used for years, and is what I have on the website. As noted, apply to the seal, and keep it on the edge and behind the seal so that it does not transfer to the feed. We very often find it in globs in a pen. Not needed - a little goes a very long way!

    I had a Boheme in the shop a few months back that wouldn't write. Someone had slathered silicone grease in the mechanism and it got into the feed. No wonder it didn't write! Once cleaned well, including the piercing tube and feed, it wrote well.
    Agree 100%+++ The Molykote 111 is by far and away the best silicone grease money can buy.
    Made by Dow Corning, this is the stuff that the US Navy Seals use for their diving equipment.
    A 5.3 oz tube is easily available and very inexpensive. It will last forever! As that old "Brylcreem" jingle used to go....."A Little Dab'll Do Ya!"
    Highly recommended!!

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

    Chrissy (July 4th, 2023)

  14. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    308
    Thanks
    264
    Thanked 424 Times in 204 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: MB 146 piston service

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    A good silicone grease for this is Molykote 111. It's designed for 0-rings, and designed to resist washing it off. It's what I've used for years, and is what I have on the website. As noted, apply to the seal, and keep it on the edge and behind the seal so that it does not transfer to the feed. We very often find it in globs in a pen. Not needed - a little goes a very long way!

    I had a Boheme in the shop a few months back that wouldn't write. Someone had slathered silicone grease in the mechanism and it got into the feed. No wonder it didn't write! Once cleaned well, including the piercing tube and feed, it wrote well.
    Sometimes I feel sorry for the pen, not the nitwit owner.

    We are lucky that there are so many new products out there, when I first needed silicone grease for an eye dropper, last century stuff here, there was nothing else around than from a plumbers merchants, that little 2oz tin lasted a long time but now relegated to its intended function.

  15. #9
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    11,443
    Thanks
    6,916
    Thanked 10,426 Times in 3,996 Posts
    Rep Power
    24

    Default Re: MB 146 piston service

    It may be easier and less expensive to get in the US than it is to get in the UK.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

  16. #10
    Senior Member karmachanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Location
    The edge
    Posts
    116
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 52 Times in 36 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: MB 146 piston service

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    It may be easier and less expensive to get in the US than it is to get in the UK.
    £4.59 posted Enough to last longer than me.
    Add Lightness and Simplicate

  17. #11
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    11,443
    Thanks
    6,916
    Thanked 10,426 Times in 3,996 Posts
    Rep Power
    24

    Default Re: MB 146 piston service

    Quote Originally Posted by karmachanic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    It may be easier and less expensive to get in the US than it is to get in the UK.
    £4.59 posted Enough to last longer than me.
    I have been searching ebay and Amazon and saw the listing that you referenced here. However, the title is a bit confusing and the item pictured is not Molykote 111 tube 100grams. It's actually a listing for a different product from Molykote called TP-42 anti seize paste weighing 10g in a small pot, so I didn't think it was exactly the same as Molykote 111. I have now found some that is actually called and pictured as Molykote 111 Silicone Grease.
    Last edited by Chrissy; July 4th, 2023 at 02:20 PM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

  18. #12
    Senior Member karmachanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2022
    Location
    The edge
    Posts
    116
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 52 Times in 36 Posts
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: MB 146 piston service

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    the title is a bit confusing and the item pictured is not Molykote 111 tube 100grams.)
    Opps! The 111 confused me in my quick search. But I did find a 10gr pot of 111 silicone for a reasonable price. Happy you did too.
    Last edited by karmachanic; July 7th, 2023 at 12:19 PM.
    Add Lightness and Simplicate

  19. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    44
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 27 Times in 11 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: MB 146 piston service

    Thanks to all of you for your comments.

    Ron

  20. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    44
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 27 Times in 11 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: MB 146 piston service

    The pen will be sent out today to a repairman we all know.

    I don't understand why this happened. I haven't used any weird ink. I know there's a well known brand that has been controversial, but it's still selling in large numbers. Sometimes people say that only pen manufacturer's ink should be used, but that seems a bit harsh. I wonder if I didn't clean thoroughly before changing inks. Could two inks react in a way that would freeze up a piston?
    Just rambling out of frustration.

  21. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    308
    Thanks
    264
    Thanked 424 Times in 204 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: MB 146 piston service

    Quote Originally Posted by RonLyke View Post
    The pen will be sent out today to a repairman we all know.

    I don't understand why this happened. I haven't used any weird ink. I know there's a well known brand that has been controversial, but it's still selling in large numbers. Sometimes people say that only pen manufacturer's ink should be used, but that seems a bit harsh. I wonder if I didn't clean thoroughly before changing inks. Could two inks react in a way that would freeze up a piston?
    Just rambling out of frustration.
    I had a 146, in 2012 I had a similar problem with the piston, the feed was also blocked and the ink window was also stained. I worked quite near to an MB boutique and took it in for repair. The first question I was asked was have I only been using MB ink, I hadn't but kept quiet. I had been using a dark purple from Diamine.

    The manager looked at the pen and said he would send it off for a service, MB sorted it all out including a new barrel.

    I haven't used my MBs for a while but will keep to MB inks, I have a new bottle of Blue Hour that will be a good match.

  22. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    1,204
    Thanks
    449
    Thanked 501 Times in 333 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: MB 146 piston service

    Quote Originally Posted by RonLyke View Post
    The pen will be sent out today to a repairman we all know.
    Good luck with that........
    Do let us know the outcome.

  23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

    Chrissy (July 5th, 2023), RobJohnson (July 5th, 2023)

  24. #17
    Senior Member Ron Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Western Pennsylvania
    Posts
    615
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 397 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: MB 146 piston service

    The piston seals do dry out and stick after a while. Pelikans are easy to lubricate on occasion because the nib units unscrew. But you have to open up the back end and remove the mechanism on a Montblanc, which is perhaps better because you apply the silicone grease to the seal and not the barrel wall. I also see seals that are scored and worn after years of use, allowing the ink to get in around and behind the seal.

    THE manufacturer's ink shouldn't be necessary, but I do recommend use ink made by a pen manufacturer. I use Pelikan, part because it's good ink, part because I like the color. Diamine is one of the safer non-manufacturer made inks. Note that pen flushes can also wash away some of the lubricant. Flushing with water is all that's needed unless the pen is clogged/has dried ink in it, or you are putting the pen away for a while. But if just refilling the pen with the same ink, cycling the piston a couple of times is I think the only "flushing" that is needed.

    Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

    Chrissy (October 7th, 2023), welch (July 14th, 2023)

  26. #18
    Senior Member Sailor Kenshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Where pigs run free!
    Posts
    4,014
    Thanks
    6,289
    Thanked 3,465 Times in 1,736 Posts
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: MB 146 piston service

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    The piston seals do dry out and stick after a while. Pelikans are easy to lubricate on occasion because the nib units unscrew. But you have to open up the back end and remove the mechanism on a Montblanc, which is perhaps better because you apply the silicone grease to the seal and not the barrel wall. I also see seals that are scored and worn after years of use, allowing the ink to get in around and behind the seal.

    THE manufacturer's ink shouldn't be necessary, but I do recommend use ink made by a pen manufacturer. I use Pelikan, part because it's good ink, part because I like the color. Diamine is one of the safer non-manufacturer made inks. Note that pen flushes can also wash away some of the lubricant. Flushing with water is all that's needed unless the pen is clogged/has dried ink in it, or you are putting the pen away for a while. But if just refilling the pen with the same ink, cycling the piston a couple of times is I think the only "flushing" that is needed.
    I learned that, much to my displeasure. Luckily it was just a TWSBI Eco.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

    And my other blog is a tumblr!


    And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

  27. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    44
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 27 Times in 11 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: MB 146 piston service

    I’m told it will probably take at least 12 weeks. Not to worry—I have other pens.

  28. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    1,204
    Thanks
    449
    Thanked 501 Times in 333 Posts
    Rep Power
    7

    Default Re: MB 146 piston service

    Quote Originally Posted by RonLyke View Post
    I’m told it will probably take at least 12 weeks. Not to worry—I have other pens.
    Ouch!
    Well, I admire your attitude & approach. I'll bet some of those other pens have been longing for your attention!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •