Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Double-Ended Pen? Why Not?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Default Re: A Double-Ended Pen? Why Not?

I love this. You are killing my future budget before I can amass it. Now I have two of your new pens on my wish list. I assume you'll be in Philly in January?
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

Thanks

Honestly, in terms of pure aesthetics I wouldn't change a thing on this pen. I think any protrusion, a la clip, would ruin it. I think the simple elegance of a logo direction is perfect.

Now that being said, if I had this one in hand already, I would probably do a few things different for a second one. Maybe a chrome accent ring at each cap or a finish/material more like the TWSBI Micarta without a translucent body.

Really loving the concept here as I am a 5 pen plus EDC guy because of nib/ink combos I use.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to heath For This Useful Post:

bgray (September 16th, 2013)

Thanks

Yes it is a pen that interests me. One end needs a cap with clip or a slip on clip like Kaweco. I don't mind eye droppers. I do like the flexibility if the pen could unscrew in the middle.

The steel and gold nib combo I like.

One thing with eye droppers is an ink window please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trhall View Post
    Love how the pen turned out. Cannot wait to get it in my hands. Thank you for your patience in the design process, Brian!

We considered several points in the design stages, including different color finials for different colors, a cap with clip, etc. In the end, this design was more simple (with the translucent body), and I'm very happy with how it turned out. Look for a review once I have a chance to use it.
    Since trhall jumped in as the owner of this pen, I'll take a minute to thank him. The design was largely his idea, and I was just guiding him through what was possible and feasible.

Similar to the Collier, this pen was designed more by a customer then by me! Such awesome clients to work with!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bgray For This Useful Post:

jde (September 16th, 2013), Sketchy (September 18th, 2013), trhall (September 20th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by writingrav View Post
    I love this. You are killing my future budget before I can amass it. Now I have two of your new pens on my wish list. I assume you'll be in Philly in January?
    Yep, we'll be in Philly. And based on how this pen has been received so far, no reason that we wouldn't make some inventory of these for the show.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bgray For This Useful Post:

writingrav (September 17th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Great. I'm hoping I can save enough for this and the pump filler. I have my work cut out for myself

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

Thanks

Just a totally awesome pen! (Or should I use plural in this case?)

The only hesitance for me is its size. Then again, I assume it could be a bit shorter if it comes with smaller nibs, hence shorter caps.
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu

Thanks

Wow, that's a phenomenal looking pen and eyedropper to boot. I like the streamlined look and personally would prefer no clip.

Much like WritingRav, I'll have to do some serious saving up for this and other pens of yours. Too bad you don't do a lay-away plan, or payment plan!

Great job on the pen and thanks trhall for the design. Wonder how many other pen designers are now going to start doing something similar.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kaisnowbird View Post
    Just a totally awesome pen! (Or should I use plural in this case?)

The only hesitance for me is its size. Then again, I assume it could be a bit shorter if it comes with smaller nibs, hence shorter caps.
    Yeah, I think that a Pearette-based model would be smaller. Not a heck of a lot, however. I don't think that there's any way to shave off like 1/2" or more without sacrificing ink capacity. Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by caribbean_skye View Post
    Wow, that's a phenomenal looking pen and eyedropper to boot. I like the streamlined look and personally would prefer no clip.

Much like WritingRav, I'll have to do some serious saving up for this and other pens of yours. Too bad you don't do a lay-away plan, or payment plan!

Great job on the pen and thanks trhall for the design. Wonder how many other pen designers are now going to start doing something similar.
    Honestly, I've had people pay in installments. I'm not sure if you are joking around, but it can be done.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Would it be possible to make one ink reservoir smaller than the other? That way you could allocate more ink to thirstier nibs and less to say an EF nib.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    Would it be possible to make one ink reservoir smaller than the other? That way you could allocate more ink to thirstier nibs and less to say an EF nib.
    Sure, no problem, and a good idea.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bgray View Post
    Honestly, I've had people pay in installments. I'm not sure if you are joking around, but it can be done.
    Well, it was said in jest with a serious undertone, if that makes sense. After the new year I will have to shoot you an email about this very thing. Question is, which pen to start with first. Hmmm

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

You know, keeping the pen as is but using a red acrylic for the caps would really make this look like Darth Maul's dual light saber.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

auto winder (September 17th, 2013), Feardorcha (September 17th, 2013), Sketchy (September 18th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    You know, keeping the pen as is but using a red acrylic for the caps would really make this look like Darth Maul's dual light saber.
    ....and then it's on.....

Thanks

I received the pen today. It's a bit too dark to take good outdoor photos, so I inked up the pen and took a few pics with my phone. Wanted to show the colors ink the ink view barrel, which allow me to see which end is inked with what color.

It is very fun flipping between the two sides to get different colors. The pen is currently inked with Diamine Sherwood Green and Diamine WES Imperial Blue (which looks more purple than blue). Both nibs are Mike Masuyama 0.2mm ground.

The pen is slightly longer than the standard Pearl, as Brian showed in his photos. But it isn't too long/unwieldy. In short, I _love_ the pen! Originally I wanted to have him make two for me (so I could carry four colors of ink), but held off until I had one in my hand. I should have just had him make two at once!

More details in a forthcoming review, once I've had more time with the pen. Thanks so much, Brian. This pen is PERFECTION.

edison_double_ended_pearl_1.jpgedison_double_ended_pearl_3.jpgedison_double_ended_pearl_2.jpg
    Last edited by trhall; September 18th, 2013 at 05:09 PM.

21. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to trhall For This Useful Post:

Goldfish (September 19th, 2013), hamag (December 14th, 2013), Honey Mustard (September 19th, 2013), jde (September 19th, 2013), Jeph (September 19th, 2013), KrazyIvan (September 18th, 2013), Laura N (September 18th, 2013), writingrav (September 19th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

That is really splendid. Did Brian have Mike Masuyama grind the nibs for you? I have one of his nibs on an Edison, and it is fantastic.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    That is really splendid. Did Brian have Mike Masuyama grind the nibs for you?
    Yes, I had Brian send them to Mike for me. Mike has done SEVERAL nibs for me, and I love them all. Other than Japanese nibs, I usually have to go with custom ground. These are both extremely smooth and a true 0.2mm. Love them.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to trhall For This Useful Post:

Laura N (September 18th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trhall View Post
    <snip>
    This pen is PERFECTION.
    Thomas,
    I don't believe I've ever heard you say that about a pen before!
    Really happy for you, and so glad the pursuit of it has worked out so "perfectly."
    --Julie

26. The Following User Says Thank You to jde For This Useful Post:

trhall (September 19th, 2013)

Thanks

This would be perfect for a note taking pen! Instead of having to take the time to switch between my stub for notes and xf for marginalia I could just spin the pen around. I'll definitely have to put this one on my wishlist.