Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Double-Ended Pen? Why Not?

Thanks

Default Re: A Double-Ended Pen? Why Not?

Quote Originally Posted by jde View Post
    I don't believe I've ever heard you say that about a pen before!
    Really happy for you, and so glad the pursuit of it has worked out so "perfectly."
    Yes, Julie. Probably because it was custom designed for me, much as your Custom Edison was. It is a lovely pen, and am happy Brian was patient in working through a few prototypes until we got it perfect.

Thanks

I left the pen stored in a pen wrap vertically (with one nib point downwards) all night in my work bag, and took it to the office today. Both nibs writing started immediately with no skipping, and there was no ink burping/leaking. Also using it throughout the day (switching sides frequently), I encountered no issues with either nib.

I took a few better photos today. I think this lighting better shows off the ink colors. Also note that I chose the darkest translucent gray material Brian had for the ink view. I wanted the pen to look a bit stealthy. (The pen isn't bulging on the end; that's an artifact from the pancake lens I used to take the photos.)

Hopefully, comparing it in size to a TWSBI Diamond 540 will help people see that the pen isn't too large. Note that I had Brian make this as a "skinny" Pearl. It has a slightly smaller barrel diameter to help minimize the step down to the section.

edison_double_ended_pearl_sunlight_1.jpgedison_double_ended_pearl_sunlight_2.jpgedison_double_ended_pearl_sunlight_3.jpgedison_double_ended_pearl_sunlight_4.jpgedison_double_ended_pearl_sunlight_5.jpg

3. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to trhall For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (September 21st, 2013), drgoretex (January 25th, 2014), earthdawn (December 14th, 2013), hamag (December 14th, 2013), jde (September 19th, 2013), Jeph (September 20th, 2013), klpeabody (February 9th, 2014), KrazyIvan (September 20th, 2013), reprieve (September 20th, 2013)

Thanks

The dimensions seem perfect. I like it a lot! Between this and the pump-filler, Brian has definitely earned my admiration. Beautiful and functional designs!

Thanks

I may need to start the layaway program soon this pen is so appealing.

Mags sent from my blackberry playbook using tapatalks
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

Thanks

Pen is still writing well. Loving the flexibility of having the two ink/nib combination more and more.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to trhall For This Useful Post:

jde (September 25th, 2013)

Thanks

I cleaned the double-ended Pearl earlier this past week. Had no issues with any leaking at all. Even had no issues when I removed one section to flush it with water and shook the pen to get water out. Loving this pen!

Thanks

The more I look at it the more I like it. That's saying a lot because I was high on it to begin with.

One question, how long does each side of ink seem to last for you with the nib / ink reservoir sizes?

Thanks

Ink use is obviously dependent on the type of nibs you use. I have two 0.2mm nibs in mine (XXXXF), so they last me a long time. But also remember you can do different sizes for each side. That would be useful for a nib that is wetter/broader vs a "normal" (finer) writing nib.

Each reservoir in mine holds 1.25ml, and a cartridge is around .5ml, per Brian's original post. So, over 2x capacity of a converter for each side.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to trhall For This Useful Post:

heath (October 14th, 2013)

Thanks

Below is an update addressing concerns that some people had regarding the possibility of a downward facing nib leaking.....

At the time of announcing this pen, some people had concerns regarding whether having an extra ink reservoir could lead to ink leaking out the nib, since one nib could be pointing down. This concern is legitimate, and as a result, at the time of announcing this pen, I was recommending that this pen remains a desk pen, and not an "on-the-go" pen.

Well since then, we've sold plenty of these pens, and we've also been running our own tests.

I'm happy to share that there's no reason to be concerned with this issue anymore than you would any other pen. I haven't had one owner report back to me with any leaks, spurts, or problems. I've found the same results with my own personal double ended pen that's been residing on my desk for the last couple of months as a daily user. I'll attach a photo below showing how I've been storing the pen among my daily users.

(I realize that a lot of you might want to know what my dailys are. Left to Right....Beaumont Pneumatic, Encore Bulb Filler, Pearl Double Ended, Menlo Pump Filler, Encore 2012 LE AP, Parker Vacumatic, Chilton)

So the Double Ended Pen has been stored with the nib down for a couple of months now, and has been used extensively with no problem. When I test for nib weeping, I'll pay attention to whether or not a feed fin is saturated. If 2-3 fins become saturated, then no big deal, that's what they are designed to do....contain ink burps. However, this pen has not shown a single fin saturated. I have also ran a twisted paper towel inside inside the caps, looking for any traces of ink. No traces. I also have customers reporting the same results. And then I also have customers who are taking the pens to and from work, also with no problems.

So my initial speculation is showing to be true. The ink reserviors are simply not large enough to have a significant effect on pushing ink out the nib when the nibs are facing down under normal conditions.

Now obviously, I wouldn't recommend putting one of these pens in your shirt pocket and then going for a jog, but I'm not sure that I'd recommend that with any Edison Pen!

I will keep running these tests, and I'll keep asking for owner feedback. But for now, my recommendation is to use these pens on your desk confidently with the pen laying on it's side, or with a nib down. If you want to take the pen with you on-the-go, then just use the same common sense that you would with any other fountain pen. If this recommendation changes over time as we keep getting feedback and doing our own tests, I'll update my recommendation.

As a side note, we have been playing around with other designs as Double Ended Pens. We successfully made a Morgan double ended, and we are currently playing around with a Beaumont, so if you have interest in a Double Ended pen, it looks like most of our models can be made this way.

If anyone has any questions, please reach out!

Brian at Edison
    Last edited by bgray; December 11th, 2013 at 11:42 AM.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bgray For This Useful Post:

earthdawn (December 11th, 2013), franzdimson (December 11th, 2013), jde (December 11th, 2013), kaisnowbird (December 11th, 2013), trhall (December 11th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

I have been carrying my double nib Pearl in my shirt pocket for weeks with no problem. I didn't know I wasn't supposed to

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to writingrav For This Useful Post:

tiffanyhenschel (December 13th, 2013), Tracy Lee (December 11th, 2013)

Thanks

I haven't had any problems either. My double ended Pearl is taken to work every day and I've never had a drop of ink in the cap or any fins filled with ink. It's working well.

Thanks

If everyone could refrain from mentioning this pen again until I get through the holidays that would be great. (sarcasm)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to heath For This Useful Post:

earthdawn (December 11th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heath View Post
    If everyone could refrain from mentioning this pen again until I get through the holidays that would be great. (sarcasm)
    You and me both. ;-)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 413 Posts

Here is a vintage Chameleon double ended pen.

21. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AltecGreen For This Useful Post:

bgray (December 13th, 2013), earthdawn (December 14th, 2013), hamag (December 14th, 2013), jde (December 13th, 2013), Mesu (December 13th, 2013), reprieve (December 13th, 2013), trhall (December 14th, 2013)

Thanks

Man, that is some pen that Brian Grey came up with, hey? I've blown so much $$$$ lately that I just can't order one right now and that's killing me! Way to go Brian, your a Stud!
    Mike

Visconti Last Lira aka Luigi Einaudi # 63 of 975, Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE F/P, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado,Genkai Nakaya Decapodl Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain!, Marlen Yellow Liberty LE, Santa Fe Style Custom "51" Made by Ralph Prather - president New Mexico Pen Collector's Club

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chi Town For This Useful Post:

bgray (December 14th, 2013), jde (December 13th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AltecGreen View Post
    Here is a vintage Chameleon double ended pen.
    Thank you! I remember seeing a similar photo somewhere but couldn't find the source link. Your photo is much better than the one I saw.

Thanks

Brian Gray posted some sweet pics of a new double ended Pearl on Twitter that is even better looking than mine!

https://twitter.com/edisonpenco/stat...68756837076992

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

I keep looking for more photos of Edison double-ended pens (I'd like to see some in different materials)… Is there a photo gallery somewhere? I don't see one on the SmugMug page.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reprieve View Post
    I keep looking for more photos of Edison double-ended pens (I'd like to see some in different materials)… Is there a photo gallery somewhere? I don't see one on the SmugMug page.
    Yes, sorry....we haven't uploaded a lot of our photos to the galleries yet. I will try to get this done soon, but we are leaving for the LA Pen Show shortly, so no promises. Whenever I can get the gallery updated, I'll put the link here.

But just so you know, we've done almost all Pearls. Almost all of them have been done in either black with dark tint barrel, or red/black ebonite with amber tint barrel. One Pearl with a clip, and one Morgan. So although we've made a lot, most are looking pretty similar....very little variation in materials/styles.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bgray For This Useful Post:

reprieve (February 10th, 2014), trhall (February 10th, 2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reprieve View Post
    Brian recently posted in another thread that he is going to put up a dedicated gallery for DE pens. Yeah!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to trhall For This Useful Post:

reprieve (March 31st, 2014)