Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Double-Ended Pen? Why Not?

Thanks

Default A Double-Ended Pen? Why Not?

Hi Pen Fans!

Without a doubt, the best aspect of manufacturing custom pens is that my customers are always coming to me with new ideas for custom creations. If I only did pens in a production setting, I think that it would be easy to get stuck in creative ruts.

Usually when I create a completely custom pen, I don't bother with making any big announcement, but I think that this one deserves a little recognition to my customers who might appreciate the design.

A client of mine approached me with an idea for a custom double ended pen. The idea was to have two separate ink reservoirs with two different nibs all in the same pen. I really liked the idea, but I was worried about whether or not having two decent sized ink reserviors would make the pen really big and awkward. After about 3-4 prototypes, we came up with what I think really nailed the design. See below....

As you can see, the pen will be an Eyedropper filler only. With the first couple of prototypes, we tried to make it long enough for cartridges, but this extra length definitely made the pen too long. As is, this pen comes in at a touch over 6" capped. I didn't want to get much longer than this, so Eyedropper only was the best route.

But with a smaller design like this, how much will ink capacity suffer? This was my real concern with this design. It turns out to be no issue at all. Each reservoir will hold 1.25mL, In comparision, a converter holds a bit less than .5mL. So even with these smaller reservoirs, the pen still holds nearly triple the capacity of a converter. Almost 6 times the capacity if you count both reservoirs. Not only that, but I could probably customize the interior of the reservoirs to hold even a little bit more.

One might ask about the inherent issue of an Eyedropper burping. This should be eliminated on this pen. The phenomenon of ED burping is where an Eyedropper pen will burp a small amount of ink at the very end of a fill, due to a very large ink reservoir. When the fill gets to the very end of a very large ink reservoir like most eyedroppers, the pen can lose a little vacuum due air being compressible and "elastic". Since these reservoirs are smaller, this should never happen with this pen.

The obvious benefits of this pen (besides the "cool" factor) is that you can have two pens in one. Two nibs of two different tip sizes, and two different inks if you like. Also visible ink reservoirs.

Here are photos of the pen next to a standard Pearl for comparison purposes.

As you can see, the pen will be a little longer that the standard Pearl when one cap is removed, but not to the point where it would be unwieildy.

If anyone is interested in a pen of the same design, obviously the transparent ink reservoir can be any color, and the caps/sections can be any material. And no reason that this needs to be based on the Pearl. I don't see why this idea couldn't be adaped to any of our designs.

Cost of this design will be $350 with two steel nibs. $450 with one steel and one 18k nib, and $550 with two 18k nibs. If you are interested, you can email me to inquire.

Thanks!

Brian at Edison

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to bgray For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

00Photo (December 12th, 2013), Bogon07 (September 16th, 2013), caribbean_skye (September 17th, 2013), drgoretex (September 16th, 2013), earthdawn (September 16th, 2013), fountainpenkid (September 17th, 2013), fpquest (September 16th, 2013), heath (September 16th, 2013), jde (September 16th, 2013), kaisnowbird (September 17th, 2013), KrazyIvan (September 16th, 2013), Sketchy (September 16th, 2013), trhall (September 19th, 2013), writingrav (September 16th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Default Re: A Double-Ended Pen? Why Not?

That is FUN Brian! I really like it.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

The Force is strong with this one. Reminds me of the old fountain pens with the mech pencil on the opposite side.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,021 Posts

Wonderful!

Thanks

Thanks! And Ivan, that does look a little "Sithy", huh?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bgray For This Useful Post:

KrazyIvan (September 16th, 2013)

Thanks

I really like the idea of this.

Just out of interest, how much does the pen weigh? It looks like it could be quite light. Does only filling one reservoir effect the pens balance in any way?

Thanks

The 1907 Parker #100 Bookkeeper's special is born again. Neat!
    Parker's could be taken apart in the middle and used as 2 pens (hint, hint)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeph For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Feardorcha View Post

Just out of interest, how much does the pen weigh? It looks like it could be quite light. Does only filling one reservoir effect the pens balance in any way?
    Good questions. In all honesty, the pen is already shipped to the owner, so I can't weight it now.

But based on a standard Pearl being 22g capped, and 16g uncapped, I would guess that this pen would be around 24-26g capped, and 18-20g with one cap off.

But this is a guesstimate.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bgray For This Useful Post:

Feardorcha (September 16th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeph View Post
    The 1907 Parker #100 Bookkeeper's special is born again. Neat!
    Parker's could be taken apart in the middle and used as 2 pens (hint, hint)
    Not a bad idea, but I would have to re-design. If this pen separated in the middle, then each individual pen would be really really stubby and small!

Just thinking out loud, I think that the pen would have to be designed to be used as all one solid piece, or as two separated pieces, but not both at the same time when in use.
    Last edited by bgray; September 16th, 2013 at 01:18 PM.

Thanks

I did receive more than a couple of responses wondering how you would know which end is which.

There's more than a couple of solutions....

1. The Edison Engraving is on the barrel. When you read the engraving right-side-up, you'll know when end you have on each side.

2. Ink Color could do this.

3. It's possible to put a very small engraving at the base of each cap. The tip size could be engraved very small and subtle.

4. Once cap could have a clip, and then one does not.

Thanks

really neat. Vera

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Brilliant!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Love it!

Thanks

Love this idea! For those of us who have difficulty making nib decisions, this would multiply the problem! I'm now pondering which combination of nibs I'd choose.

just a little bird floating on a hurricane
    Thanks

Awesome!

Thanks

Brian, this is a very cool idea. I have seen double-enders before, but this is the first that I have seen that actually looks GOOD capped or uncapped. The shape, like your 'pearl' style pens is excellent - quite aesthetically pleasing.

Well, now. I may just have to contact you about one of these

Ken

21. The Following User Says Thank You to drgoretex For This Useful Post:

bgray (September 16th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bgray View Post

Good questions. In all honesty, the pen is already shipped to the owner, so I can't weight it now.

But based on a standard Pearl being 22g capped, and 16g uncapped, I would guess that this pen would be around 24-26g capped, and 18-20g with one cap off.

Thanks. Is it also safe to assume this pen's cap(s) can't be posted?

Thanks

Can you post both caps at the same time?

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ardgedee For This Useful Post:

bgray (September 16th, 2013), Feardorcha (September 16th, 2013), Tracy Lee (September 17th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bgray View Post

Thanks. Is it also safe to assume this pen's cap(s) can't be posted?
    Correct. Unless I engineered a very strange taper into the cap, you can't post a cap onto a cap.

Actually, I don't think that it would be possible at all, since the section and nib demand a certain amount of thickness, not allowing this taper.

Unless it was really long, and weird looking, or perhaps threaded onto the back of the cap.

But then it would definitely be weirdly long....you probably wouldn't want to write with a pen that long....might be really super-imbalanced.
    Last edited by bgray; September 16th, 2013 at 06:16 PM.

Thanks

Love how the pen turned out. Cannot wait to get it in my hands. Thank you for your patience in the design process, Brian!

We considered several points in the design stages, including different color finials for different colors, a cap with clip, etc. In the end, this design was more simple (with the translucent body), and I'm very happy with how it turned out. Look for a review once I have a chance to use it.

27. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to trhall For This Useful Post:

cwent2 (September 18th, 2013), fountainpenkid (September 17th, 2013), heath (September 16th, 2013), jde (September 16th, 2013), KrazyIvan (September 16th, 2013), Laura N (September 16th, 2013), Sketchy (September 18th, 2013)