Thread: I Just Has a Great Idea

Thanks
    Thanked 10,283 Times in 3,951 Posts

Default Re: I Just Has a Great Idea

Quote Originally Posted by emes441 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    No regular fountain pen user would ever consider it as a possibility.
    No? You haven't seen what I've seen.
    Actually, I can imagine.

Many on here may already be noting down member "emes441" as someone to not buy any ink bottles or even pens from.
    Let's be fair- I never did this yet. I was just asking the experts' opinion. I didn't realize people would take such offense.
    I don't think anyone has actually taken offence, after all they are your pens and your bottles of inks to treat however well or badly you want to treat them, but maybe we don't think you're serious. Or if you are then oh dear!!
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

emes441, I did it with the Boots Fountain Pen, the red IG was in there and now the blue is in. For example, the R&K Schreibtinten (apart from Sepia and the IG) can be mixed with each other, that works too. However, this cannot be generalized, some dyes precipitate and nanosuspensions can be destabilized.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thom. For This Useful Post:

Carpio (August 28th, 2023), TSherbs (August 27th, 2023), Yazeh (August 27th, 2023)

Thanks

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by emes441 View Post
    Let's be fair- I never did this yet. I was just asking the experts' opinion. I didn't realize people would take such offense.
    I don't see it as people taking offense at your original question, emes441, although I can see what you see at the sarcastic replies you have read, but that is the nature of the beast if/when something is said/written that people can't either accept or fathom out, or maybe? their reply is said in jest. I'll let you work that one out to come to your own conclussion(s).
    As I mentioned earlier, I am a novice, but those saying they have done what you 'suggested' would, I imagine from what their persona has displayed in the months I've posted here, would certainly tell you if it was desperately bad, but then the technical knowledge of Thom is a 100% certainty that it isn't wise to try/do what you thought was 'saving time'.
    As you can see by the replies, members here have kindly taken time and given you their views. Views from very qualified penpersons to boot and I fail to see where anybody has taken offense at your question, anyway - rest assured, you didn't offend my nature.

Carpio
    Last edited by Carpio; August 28th, 2023 at 07:03 PM.
    "The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes” – Thomas Beecham

Thanks
    Thanked 1,376 Times in 585 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carpio View Post
    dig out and fill your boots if you find it convenient
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

Hello,

Sorry. It's British military slang?, with a meaning of,.... 'feel free to help yourself',... 'feel free to do what you wish'.
    When the saying is used in a context of,.... 'fill your boots', that has a meaning of, 'good luck' in whatever you are about to do.

calamus, "I'm about to play in the final of the pool competition."
    Carpio, "Go and fill your boots, mate." (best of luck and win)

It could actually be non-military, but I have only ever heard the term used by military/ex military personell.

Carpio
    "The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes” – Thomas Beecham

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Carpio For This Useful Post:

Bisquitlips (October 30th, 2023), calamus (September 4th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (September 2nd, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,784 Times in 1,640 Posts

Just a thought: when I clean pens I find ink in the caps and barrels, not just in the nib/feed. Also sometimes ink dried here and there. I want that cleaned off and it wouldn’t happen if I just changed ink…
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks

Hello,

Sorry. It's British military slang?, with a meaning of,.... 'feel free to help yourself',... 'feel free to do what you wish'.
    When the saying is used in a context of,.... 'fill your boots', that has a meaning of, 'good luck' in whatever you are about to do.

calamus, "I'm about to play in the final of the pool competition."
    Carpio, "Go and fill your boots, mate." (best of luck and win)

It could actually be non-military, but I have only ever heard the term used by military/ex military personell.

Carpio
    That's an interesting expression. I wonder how it originated. Let me see if the internet has anything to say about it. Hmmm.

So I asked Duck Duck Go about the origin of the saying, and found a plethora of explanations. Here are some I found at https://english.stackexchange.com/qu...ill-your-boots

I have a colleague of whom this is a favorite phrase, used in the sense of "knock yourself out", "go for it", "have at it", "go to town", "help yourself". ("You want to add that feature to the software? Go ahead - fill your boots!") So far, the best origin story I've heard is that of "when plundering, using every available container - i.e., even your boots". It feels as though there may be more to it than this, but I've not discovered it yet. What say?

Well I've heard it all my life in London. Usually used negatively in my experience, in the same manner as "help yourself" when said flippantly.

A quick search yielded
    At the HMS Victory museum in Portsmouth UK, you can buy a thick leather cup lined with pitch. This is a replica of the sailor's mug used on board in Nelson's time, and it was used (among other things) for the rum ration when issued. This cup is called a "boot", and when things were good and you got an extra rum ration, sailors were told "Fill Yer Boots"!

Incidentally, I've always heard this phrase pronounced as above, yer, in that 18/19th century naval twang. Saying it fully with your sounds wrong. 

Is there any evidence the phrase was ever actually used "in Nelson's time"?

I'm quite dubious about this explanation.

As all good sayings do, it comes from a sailor.
    The following is an excerpt from Memoirs of Serjeant Paul Swanston: being a narrative of a soldier's life, in barracks, ships, camps, battles, and captivity on sea and land; with notices of the most adventurous of his comrades. (no, that's really the full name of the book), first published in 1818.
    In quick time they were at the wine-pipe; for a moment the new hands seemed at a loss for the means of getting the wine to their mouths; but the "wide-a-awake" boy sliped (sic) off one of his shoes in a twinkling, dipped it into the cask and drank.
    "Drink, you devils, drink!" he said; "its all one how much you drink, only don't get drunk!" And again he filled his shoe, and again he drank. The previous debauch in connexion with the new, soon tumbled him on the ground; and he lay there gradually sinking into stupidity; but, as he took his leave of consciousness, he admonished the others to take care of themselves; to take as much as they could rightly carry; but not to get drunk, saying, as he sunk lower and lower himself, "Fill your boots, boys—fill your boots! Give me one small drop in a shoe to make me well again, for I'm— I'm—."
    Alas, poor humanity! There lay in the deepest degradation, as good a fighting soldier, and, when he could not get drink, as cleanly and active a fellow as ever the English army possessed.
    I can't think of anything more exemplary of gusto than a sailor getting blind stinking drunk out of his shoe.

I don't think the Memoirs of Serjeant Paul Swanston is really 1818, Google often has bad metadata. Wikipedia gives it as 1840, which makes more sense than 1818 given the author Alexander Somerville's lifespan (1811 – 1885).

This is an account of sailors literally using their shoes or boots to drink from, and it's strange I can't find any other 19th century examples of sailors using the phrase literally or figuratively.

It appears to have naval origins, but the evidence is still only 20th century (1948) and there's no suggestion of it originating from dipping a special boot/cup into rum in Nelson's time, but rather being able to eat so much until your boots are also full.

The OED says it's a British colloquial phrase meaning:
    to take full advantage of an opportunity to benefit oneself; to take as much as one wants of something.
    The earliest quotation in the OED is relatively recent:
    1969 J. Burmeister Hot & Copper Sky iv. 67 I'll bet you're filling your boots.
    It appears in snippets of a 1950 navy slang dictionary, Sea slang of the twentieth century: Royal Navy, Merchant Navy, yachtsmen, fishermen, bargemen, canalmen, miscellaneous by Wilfred Granville:
    Big eats — fill your boots ! The lower-deck invitation to any meal. Cf. LUVERLY GRUB; DIG IN, FILL YOUR BOOTS !
    Dig in — fill your boots ! The mess-deck cry when dinner is served.
    Dictionary of Catch Phrases by Eric Partridge (1992) offers an explanation:
    dig in and fill your boots; often and is omitted. Eat hearty!: fill not only your belly but, if you wish, your boots as well: RN: C20. (PGR, 1948.) Cf eat up ... and muck in ...
    RN is Royal Navy; C20 is 20th century; PGR is a reference to a book by the same Partridge and Granville:
    PGR is E. Partridge, W. Granville and F. Roberts, A Dictionary of Forces' Slang: 1939 - 45, 1948

The OED entry is a draft addition from this month. I've sent them these 1948 and 1950 antedatings. I grew up in rural Yorkshire after the second world war and the expression fill your boots referred to an involuntary bowel movement caused by great fear, for example, being chased by a bull, or some equally terrifying event.
    Fill your boots was a polite way of saying one had "S… oneself". When you consider people wore wellington boots with their trousers tucked in it is easy to understand the meaning of the phrase.
    Only in recent years have I heard the expression used in different contexts, mostly with a positive inflection. I asked a Canadian friend, born and bred in a farming community, if she was familiar with the phrase. Yes, it's the involuntary consequence of being chased by a bull— though she didn't put it quite like that!

English coal miners wore hobnailed boots which were slippery on cobblestone streets, so they carried them home after work so they wouldn't slip. This allowed them to "fill their boots" with coal which would be just enough coal for a family for one day. Considered one of the perks of working in a coal mine.

I came across this phrase in the book "Or I'll Dress You in Mourning," which came out in the 60's about the most celebrated Matador who has ever lived. The phrase was explained thus.
    "Fill your boots!" is a phrase matadors use to wish there fellow matadors good luck in the ring. It is similar to the theatrical phrase "break a leg" however the "fill your boots" phrase suggests that the matador heading into the ring fills his boot with blood from being gored.

In Nova Scotia, it is said that a fisherman's catch was so good that when he ran out of crates, he filled his boots with fish to get them on the wharf.

I believe this could originate with 'The Tinder-Box' by Hans Christian Anderson (1835), where the soldier fills not only his pockets, but his cap and boots with gold. Hence 'fill your boots'.

I've been told that in ancient sea fairing days, ships officers were traditionally not allowed the leave the captains tables before the captain did for fear they would talk of mutiny between the crew. So if a officer needed too relieve himself during the meal he was orders to "fill yer boots"

Is there any evidence the phrase was ever actually used "in ancient sea fairing days"? The earliest evidence I found is mid-20th century.

My understanding is that there was a theft investigation after firemen put out a small fire in a store. The investigation revealed that the firemen had filled their high rubber boots with small items stolen from the store.

"Fill your boots" was an order given by William of Orange to his troops before the Battle of the Boyne. The boots refered to leather water carriers that each soldier had strapped to his saddle.

Is there any evidence the phrase was ever actually used by William of Orange in 1690? The earliest evidence I found is mid-20th century.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

Carpio (September 8th, 2023), Yazeh (September 7th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    ... I believe this could originate with 'The Tinder-Box' by Hans Christian Anderson (1835), where the soldier fills not only his pockets, but his cap and boots with gold. ...
    But he was dyslexic and I have an autograph from him.

Andersen.jpg

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Thom. For This Useful Post:

Yazeh (September 7th, 2023)

Thanks

"There once was an Emperor who loved new clothes more than anything else." What a boy! And what a better source than military people. I have to say I don't really like military people very much. Maybe because I'm from East Germany and I know how it all could have ended instead.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thom. For This Useful Post:

LizEF (September 6th, 2023), Yazeh (September 7th, 2023)

Thanks

Gosh I so miss the days back when you just picked up your fountain pen, filled it with ink (if needed), and wrote.
    Last edited by ~JJ; September 7th, 2023 at 01:27 PM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~JJ For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (September 9th, 2023), welch (November 14th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
    Gosh I so miss the days back when you just picked up your fountain pen, filled it with ink (if needed), and wrote.

Anyone can do the first and second, it is only with the third that the wheat is separated from the chaff.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,283 Times in 3,951 Posts

I have a great idea for the OP. You can very easily switch inks from black to red or blue etc without having to clean out your pens.
    It's called a rollerball or a ballpoint.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by Thom. View Post
    I have to say I don't really like military people very much.
    Well thats a bit of a pisser then, huh. Disliking people you know nothing about and tarring them all with the same brush. Whats next? Disliking all people that wear glasses, or those that are shorter than 5ft 2"?

Carpio
    Last edited by Carpio; September 8th, 2023 at 12:50 PM.

Thanks

Hello,

Well thats a bit of a pisser then, huh. Disliking people you know nothing about and tarring them all with the same brush. Whats next? Disliking all people that wear glasses, or those that are shorter than 5ft 2"?

Carpio
    Steady mate, you're getting trolled. There's a political subforum for those who enjoy playing in the mud. People who post political stuff on a fountain pen thread often derail it completely, so the best thing to do is just ignore them.
    Last edited by calamus; September 17th, 2023 at 07:13 PM.

Thanks

Hello,

Well thats a bit of a pisser then, huh. Disliking people you know nothing about and tarring them all with the same brush. ...
    I already know them, I was an applicant for a career officer myself.

Thanks

Hello,

Yeah, I should have bit my tongue, calamus, but old habits die hard. Thank you for the advice. I'll just have to be more careful who I chew the fat with.

Carpio

Thanks
    Thanked 3,315 Times in 1,676 Posts

I have been known to mix inks right in the cart/con. Just did it yesterday, adding a Noodler's blue black to 'Sailor's StarZero,' which is itself a mix.

Maybe that's why I have so many cheeeep pens.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Carpio, whether it's ink mixing or anything else, ultimately everyone has to choose their own teachers. Choose wise.

Thanks

Hello,

Yeah, I should have bit my tongue, calamus, but old habits die hard. Thank you for the advice. I'll just have to be more careful who I chew the fat with.

Carpio
    Yep. I'm tempted to tell him not to equate the East German military with the armed forces of non-tyrannical governments. But since he seems to have managed to pretty much derail this thread, I guess I'll add that the poor guy must have been traumatized by his experiences then. Maybe he even has nightmares about the Stasi to this day.

Actually, I later PMed him and apologized for calling him a troll. Figured he was just a new member who wasn't aware of how easily threads can get derailed by off-topic posts, particularly political ones. When I meet a veteran I always thank them for their service, so I got highly annoyed when he made his dig against people in the armed forces. But he never replied. Now I feel bad for possibly making him feel unwelcome and chasing him off. Dang.
    Last edited by calamus; September 13th, 2023 at 05:54 PM.

Thanks

I probably did more than anyone to derail this thread, so I'm going to take a stab at getting it going again, with some help from a couple of photos that I lifted from one of Fred Ryder's posts elsewhere, and a third photo that I'm not sure where I got, although I think it may have been from another of Fred's posts somewhere. It's been living on my desktop for a few years, ever since I had a bottle of (now unobtainable) Blackstone Sydney Harbour Blue turn to goop, which spread to a bottle of MB Toffee Brown and three fountain pens.

First: the dread SITB, or snot in a bottle. Fungal spores can get in a bottle and turn the ink into goop. Fill a pen with it, and the whole pen gets infected. You can flush it out with water, but that won't do the trick. Stick that pen into another bottle of ink, and the contagion spreads to that bottle. Sometimes the ink in a pen turns into goop, and stops writing and you think it's empty, so you sticks it in a bottle of ink to fill it, and whoops -- another one bites the dust. What you need to do is throw away the infected bottle(s) of ink, and decontaminate the infected pen(s) with Shaklee Basic-G or some other insanely toxic heavy duty anti-fungal disinfectant.

The dread SITB:

sitb.jpg

Shaklee Basic-G

Shaklee Basic G Front.jpg

How to use:

SITB cleaner label.jpg
    Last edited by calamus; September 13th, 2023 at 06:36 PM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to calamus For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (September 13th, 2023)