Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

Thread: I Just Has a Great Idea

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2023
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default I Just Has a Great Idea

    So, I find it a royal pain to wash out a pen from one ink before switching to another. Here is a way to remove the hassle and save time on flushing and drying:
    After you finish one ink and want to switch to a different ink:
    • do not fill/flush with water
    • Fill the pen with the new ink
    • empty the pen from the new ink
    • refill with that same ink


    This may be a tad more expensive in the long run, but will save time and hassle.

    Does this make sense?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    6,590
    Thanks
    7,784
    Thanked 10,979 Times in 3,995 Posts
    Rep Power
    22

    Default Re: I Just Has a Great Idea

    Quote Originally Posted by emes441 View Post
    Does this make sense?
    No, not to me.

    Aside from the wasteful nature, even if small, you are inviting a number of potential problems. First would be ink-to-ink contamination, if you are filling the pen directly from a bottle (i.e. putting the nib/section into the 'new' ink). An unclean pen can *potentially* ruin the new bottle of ink. It isn't uncommon to refill a pen with the *same* ink, repeatedly, but even then it is good to flush every few times.

    The other aspect is that not all inks play well together, and having the two inks mix in the pen, even if for a short duration, could cause clogs, etc.

    Not saying it can't work, and not saying you couldn't do it a number of times without issue. I just have a hunch, with a lot of ink swapping over the years, that the time saved isn't worth it. I mean, c'mon - flushing a pen isn't hard or doesn't take that much time.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  3. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked

    Bisquitlips (October 30th, 2023), Carpio (August 24th, 2023), Chrissy (August 24th, 2023), forester (August 24th, 2023), LizEF (August 24th, 2023), Lloyd (August 28th, 2023), MKeith (August 24th, 2023), Schaumburg_Swan (August 24th, 2023), Scrawler (September 19th, 2023), SIR (August 27th, 2023), Yazeh (August 24th, 2023)

  4. #3
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    11,336
    Thanks
    6,825
    Thanked 10,283 Times in 3,951 Posts
    Rep Power
    24

    Default Re: I Just Has a Great Idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by emes441 View Post
    Does this make sense?
    No, not to me.

    Aside from the wasteful nature, even if small, you are inviting a number of potential problems. First would be ink-to-ink contamination, if you are filling the pen directly from a bottle (i.e. putting the nib/section into the 'new' ink). An unclean pen can *potentially* ruin the new bottle of ink. It isn't uncommon to refill a pen with the *same* ink, repeatedly, but even then it is good to flush every few times.

    The other aspect is that not all inks play well together, and having the two inks mix in the pen, even if for a short duration, could cause clogs, etc.

    Not saying it can't work, and not saying you couldn't do it a number of times without issue. I just have a hunch, with a lot of ink swapping over the years, that the time saved isn't worth it. I mean, c'mon - flushing a pen isn't hard or doesn't take that much time.
    Exactly.
    Imagine changing from say blue black to light blue, red or orange for example. Using OP's method would ruin the whole bottle. Definitely a no no! It's not something I would ever consider doing. EVER!
    Last edited by Chrissy; August 24th, 2023 at 05:51 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

    Bisquitlips (October 30th, 2023), Carpio (August 24th, 2023), Scrawler (September 19th, 2023)

  6. #4
    Senior Member Carpio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2023
    Location
    Midlands, UK
    Posts
    143
    Thanks
    411
    Thanked 107 Times in 60 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: I Just Has a Great Idea

    Hello,

    10 minutes of relaxing, somewhat theraputic labour versus £5 - £12/£15?
    I'm tight, so I wouldn't do what you suggest, but dig out and fill your boots if you find it convenient.

    ps,
    Don't mind me - I know nowt, but I would certainly heed what Jon and Chrissy have written, unless of course you're rolling in money and buying new pens is not an issue

    Carpio
    "The English may not like music, but they absolutely love the noise it makes” – Thomas Beecham

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Carpio For This Useful Post:

    LizEF (August 24th, 2023)

  8. #5
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    11,336
    Thanks
    6,825
    Thanked 10,283 Times in 3,951 Posts
    Rep Power
    24

    Default Re: I Just Has a Great Idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Carpio View Post
    Hello,

    10 minutes of relaxing, somewhat theraputic labour versus £5 - £12/£15?
    Or more for some bottles of ink. I also find cleaning pens relaxing and somewhat therapeutic. Even with UK charges water has to be cheaper for flushing pens than just shoving them into the next ink bottle, keeping your fingers crossed and hoping for the best. That practice could never be relaxing or therapeutic for me.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

    Carpio (August 24th, 2023), mreeveshp (August 31st, 2023)

  10. #6
    Senior Member LizEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2022
    Location
    Unreality
    Posts
    695
    Thanks
    864
    Thanked 1,232 Times in 519 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: I Just Has a Great Idea

    Quote Originally Posted by emes441 View Post
    So, I find it a royal pain to wash out a pen from one ink before switching to another.
    People hate me when I say what I'm about to say, but it is the truth, even if unpopular... You get to choose how you perceive cleaning out pens. It may take work to rearrange your thinking on the matter, but you do get to choose.

    Everyone else has addressed the potential risks. And now you also get to choose what to do with what you know - this is a gift indeed, so cherish it!

  11. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

    Bisquitlips (October 30th, 2023), Carpio (August 25th, 2023), Cyril (September 5th, 2023), DrPenfection (October 28th, 2023), forester (September 11th, 2023), Jon Szanto (August 28th, 2023), mreeveshp (August 31st, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (August 24th, 2023), Stands on Feet (August 24th, 2023), Yazeh (August 24th, 2023)

  12. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6,655
    Thanks
    2,026
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,417 Posts
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: I Just Has a Great Idea

    Quote Originally Posted by emes441 View Post
    So, I find it a royal pain to wash out a pen from one ink before switching to another. Here is a way to remove the hassle and save time on flushing and drying:
    After you finish one ink and want to switch to a different ink:
    • do not fill/flush with water
    • Fill the pen with the new ink
    • empty the pen from the new ink
    • refill with that same ink


    This may be a tad more expensive in the long run, but will save time and hassle.

    Does this make sense?
    ??

    I don't understand. What effort or expense has this saved you? You are merely trying to rinse the pen once with new ink rather than rinse it (once or twice) with water. What "time and hassle" is this saving you? Is getting up from your desk and going to a sink spigot the "time and hassle"?

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

    Carpio (August 25th, 2023), LizEF (August 24th, 2023)

  14. #8
    Senior Member Sailor Kenshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Where pigs run free!
    Posts
    3,962
    Thanks
    6,118
    Thanked 3,315 Times in 1,676 Posts
    Rep Power
    16

    Default Re: I Just Has a Great Idea

    I used to just snap in the new cart and glory in the color change.

    Don't tell anyone, but sometimes I do it with piston-fillers, too.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

    And my other blog is a tumblr!


    And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

  15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

    Bisquitlips (October 30th, 2023), Carpio (August 25th, 2023), forester (September 11th, 2023), LizEF (August 24th, 2023), Stands on Feet (August 24th, 2023), TSherbs (August 24th, 2023), VertOlive (September 2nd, 2023), Yazeh (August 24th, 2023)

  16. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6,655
    Thanks
    2,026
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,417 Posts
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: I Just Has a Great Idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Kenshin View Post
    I used to just snap in the new cart and glory in the color change.

    Don't tell anyone, but sometimes I do it with piston-fillers, too.
    I used to do this in college with Sheaffer blue and blueblack cartridges. The slow-ish changeover was fun, and the color mix in between was not ugly.

  17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

    Bisquitlips (October 30th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (August 27th, 2023), Yazeh (August 24th, 2023)

  18. #10
    Senior Member Ron Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Western Pennsylvania
    Posts
    602
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1,077 Times in 392 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: I Just Has a Great Idea

    I wouldn't. Not all inks are compatible with each other, and the resulting chemistry experiment might not turn out so well.

    Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

    Carpio (August 25th, 2023), DrPenfection (October 28th, 2023)

  20. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2023
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: I Just Has a Great Idea

    Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by emes441 View Post
    So, I find it a royal pain to wash out a pen from one ink before switching to another. Here is a way to remove the hassle and save time on flushing and drying:
    After you finish one ink and want to switch to a different ink:
    • do not fill/flush with water
    • Fill the pen with the new ink
    • empty the pen from the new ink
    • refill with that same ink


    This may be a tad more expensive in the long run, but will save time and hassle.

    Does this make sense?
    ??

    I don't understand. What effort or expense has this saved you? You are merely trying to rinse the pen once with new ink rather than rinse it (once or twice) with water. What "time and hassle" is this saving you? Is getting up from your desk and going to a sink spigot the "time and hassle"?
    Saves drying time...

    I appreciate everyone's comments! I hear the concerns

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to emes441 For This Useful Post:

    Carpio (August 25th, 2023)

  22. #12
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    11,336
    Thanks
    6,825
    Thanked 10,283 Times in 3,951 Posts
    Rep Power
    24

    Default Re: I Just Has a Great Idea

    I'm starting to believe this original post was either designed to be a joke or to provoke strong reactions. No regular fountain pen user would ever consider it as a possibility.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

  23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

    Bisquitlips (October 30th, 2023), Brilliant Bill (August 24th, 2023), Carpio (August 25th, 2023), Scrawler (September 19th, 2023)

  24. #13
    Senior Member LizEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2022
    Location
    Unreality
    Posts
    695
    Thanks
    864
    Thanked 1,232 Times in 519 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    Default Re: I Just Has a Great Idea

    Quote Originally Posted by emes441 View Post
    Saves drying time...
    IMO, drying time is not needed. Wrap the nib and feed in a paper towel or rag and let it wick out what water it will in a few minutes, or (if you trust yourself) do a few "thermometer flicks" and that's good enough if you're going to ink it again. Only if it's going into storage do you need to worry about it being fully dry.

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LizEF For This Useful Post:

    Carpio (August 25th, 2023), TSherbs (August 24th, 2023)

  26. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Time
    Posts
    410
    Thanks
    492
    Thanked 643 Times in 259 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: I Just Has a Great Idea

    Not every new idea is a "great" idea. Ask Thomas Edison!!

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

    Carpio (August 25th, 2023), Scrawler (September 19th, 2023)

  28. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6,655
    Thanks
    2,026
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,417 Posts
    Rep Power
    18

    Default Re: I Just Has a Great Idea

    Quote Originally Posted by emes441 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by emes441 View Post
    So, I find it a royal pain to wash out a pen from one ink before switching to another. Here is a way to remove the hassle and save time on flushing and drying:
    After you finish one ink and want to switch to a different ink:
    • do not fill/flush with water
    • Fill the pen with the new ink
    • empty the pen from the new ink
    • refill with that same ink


    This may be a tad more expensive in the long run, but will save time and hassle.

    Does this make sense?
    ??

    I don't understand. What effort or expense has this saved you? You are merely trying to rinse the pen once with new ink rather than rinse it (once or twice) with water. What "time and hassle" is this saving you? Is getting up from your desk and going to a sink spigot the "time and hassle"?
    Saves drying time...

    I appreciate everyone's comments! I hear the concerns
    ??

    Water requires no more "drying time" than using ink. Besides, ink is 99% water. Not sure what your thinking is. If you are willing to put up with a remainder wet ink in a nib, feed, and barrel, why would you want to wait for a little bit of water to dry??

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

    Carpio (August 25th, 2023)

  30. #16
    Senior Member Ron Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Western Pennsylvania
    Posts
    602
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 1,077 Times in 392 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: I Just Has a Great Idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    No regular fountain pen user would ever consider it as a possibility.
    No? You haven't seen what I've seen.

    Visit Main Street Pens
    A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful pen repair....
    Please contact us by email, and not PM for repair inquiries.

  31. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Ron Z For This Useful Post:

    Bisquitlips (October 30th, 2023), Brilliant Bill (August 24th, 2023), Carpio (August 25th, 2023), Chrissy (August 25th, 2023), DrPenfection (October 28th, 2023), forester (September 11th, 2023), INeedAFinancialAdvisor (September 9th, 2023), Stands on Feet (August 25th, 2023), Yazeh (August 25th, 2023)

  32. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2023
    Posts
    100
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 171 Times in 81 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: I Just Has a Great Idea

    Quote Originally Posted by emes441 View Post
    So, I find it a royal pain to wash out a pen from one ink before switching to another. ...
    As accurate as necessary, not as accurate as possible.

  33. #18
    FPG Donor ♕ Chrissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    11,336
    Thanks
    6,825
    Thanked 10,283 Times in 3,951 Posts
    Rep Power
    24

    Default Re: I Just Has a Great Idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    No regular fountain pen user would ever consider it as a possibility.
    No? You haven't seen what I've seen.
    Actually, I can imagine.

    Many on here may already be noting down member "emes441" as someone to not buy any ink bottles or even pens from.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

  34. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2023
    Posts
    17
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: I Just Has a Great Idea

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Z View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    No regular fountain pen user would ever consider it as a possibility.
    No? You haven't seen what I've seen.
    Actually, I can imagine.

    Many on here may already be noting down member "emes441" as someone to not buy any ink bottles or even pens from.
    Let's be fair- I never did this yet. I was just asking the experts' opinion. I didn't realize people would take such offense.

  35. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2023
    Posts
    100
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 171 Times in 81 Posts
    Rep Power
    1

    Default Re: I Just Has a Great Idea

    Quote Originally Posted by emes441 View Post
    Let's be fair- I never did this yet. I was just asking the experts' opinion. ...
    As an expert you can do that, but it is not advisable for normal users. And certainly not with nanopigments.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •