Thread: Buncha questions about TWSBI from someone that doesn't have one.

Thanks

Default Buncha questions about TWSBI from someone that doesn't have one.

I am so attracted to these pens, but I'm new to the fountain pen scene and fifty or sixty dollars still seems like a lot to spend on a pen, especially since I'm a stay at home dad. The one I like the most (just judging from checking them out online) is the mini, because I like to post pens (I'll lose that cap if it's not on the end of the pen!) and I like the idea of it's portability. But let's be honest, if I spend $55 on a pen that thing ain't leaving the house, that's what I have a Metropolitan for. Still I think it's a beautiful pen. For those of you with large hands like me, how comfortable is it to write with? What about the italic nibs that are available for it, especially the 1.5 has anyone here tried those out? How crisp is that hairline? Does it give enough line variation to use for calligraphy? How is the feedback/scratchiness?

For those that have a couple TWSBIs, which is your favorite? Which do you find the most comfortable? Just talk to me about TWSBI in general!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to yipe For This Useful Post:

kemuri (September 20th, 2013)

Thanks

Default Re: Buncha questions about TWSBI from someone that doesn't have one.

I have the 580, and the feed simply cannot keep up with the 1.5mm. Maybe if you write very slowly and hold the pen perfectly the results would be better.

The TWSBI 1.5, and I presume the 1.1, are both cursive italics and not crisp italics. The cursive italics allow line variation, but without the sharp corners from the crip italic digging into the paper if you to not hold the pen perfectly. So a crisp italic gives more variation but at the cost of a much higher skill requirement. Even a crisp italic is not truly going to produce calligraphy, just a consistent wide vertical strokes, thin horizontal strokes and since the majority of lines are actually diagonal most of the writing will be a resonably wide line. In my mind, an italic allows normal writing that exhibits some line variation but nothing close to true calligraphy. That makes sense in my head but I am not sure that I explained it very well. And I can't do calligraphy to make you an example.

I have tried a crisp italic and simply did not have the skill to use it. It was annoying. I smoothed it into a cursive italic and suddenly it was fun to use.

I have never held or used a Mini, so I cannot comment on that.

Here is a quick sample of the 1.5 mm that might show what I am talking about.
    TWSBI 580, 1.5mm cursive italic, Diamine Ancient Copper, Rhodia Dot Pad
    TWSBI.jpg

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeph For This Useful Post:

kemuri (September 20th, 2013), yipe (September 20th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I have the 530 and 540 but they are the same size as the 580. I have fairly large hands and they fit comfortably uncapped in my hand. They are made not to be posted. The mini is designed to be posted and turns out to be slightly larger than a 580 that is un-posted. Check out Pelahale's review on YouTube:

http://youtu.be/xSM8poxbrO8
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

I have 2 of the Vac700, a 530, and 2 of the mini's. Love them all. Reliable starters. Love the look of them. The Vac filling system is great and they hold a bunch of ink, so they do end up being daily carriers. The portability and secure posting of the mini's is a definite plus! When posted, they are as comfortable as any of my pens.
    FPGeeks= Nomdeplume
    FPN= mbankirer
    PenTrace= mb

Happy Writing!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomdeplume For This Useful Post:

yipe (September 20th, 2013)

Thanks

I've become a Twsbi fanatic and have collected 3 Minis, a 540, a 580, a Micarta and a Vac 700 since I was struck with this obsession 3 months ago. I've even gone and bought a Twsbi mechanical pencil (and I never use pencils). I'd say my favorite is probably the Mini - It's design perfection in my eyes. My favorite nibs are the fine and 1.1 stub - both are super smooth!

So I'd say, get yourself a Mini - but be warned, you may not be able to stop at one...
    Last edited by Gareth; September 20th, 2013 at 12:01 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gareth For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yipe View Post
    I am so attracted to these pens, but I'm new to the fountain pen scene and fifty or sixty dollars still seems like a lot to spend on a pen, especially since I'm a stay at home dad. The one I like the most (just judging from checking them out online) is the mini, because I like to post pens (I'll lose that cap if it's not on the end of the pen!) and I like the idea of it's portability. But let's be honest, if I spend $55 on a pen that thing ain't leaving the house, that's what I have a Metropolitan for. Still I think it's a beautiful pen. For those of you with large hands like me, how comfortable is it to write with? What about the italic nibs that are available for it, especially the 1.5 has anyone here tried those out? How crisp is that hairline? Does it give enough line variation to use for calligraphy? How is the feedback/scratchiness?

For those that have a couple TWSBIs, which is your favorite? Which do you find the most comfortable? Just talk to me about TWSBI in general!
    I have a few TWSBIs and to be perfectly honest I don't love any of them. Every single nib I've received has had issues, major and minor. The majority of the barrels have had issues as well including cracking, broken pistons, poor flow... TWSBI customer service is often great, but often quite poor as well. I don't think I'll be buying another. That said, the mini is pretty small, but the diameter of the grip is about the same as the Metropolitan so if the Metro is comfortable for you I'm sure the TWSBI will be as well. Though I would recommend purchasing from a retailer rather than directly from TWSBI as I find retailers are often more helpful in correcting problems.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Honey Mustard For This Useful Post:

Senior Member Waski_the_Squirrel's Avatar
    Thanks

I own two 540s (the predecessor to the 580) and two Vac 700s. I like them all, but the 700 is my favorite. It feels good in my hand and the filling mechanism is awesome.

My 540s had a cracking issue, which the company handled. I haven't tried the 580, but I hear cracking is not as much of an issue. At this size, they still fit well in my hand, and I can post, though I usually do not because it feels funny posted.

I always use the fine and extra fine nibs. I bought a bold as an experiment. I haven't had flow problems, but I really do prefer the finer nibs.

Thanks

I have 540, 580 and Mini. They've all performed well. The 1.1 isn't particularly sharp and keeps up with my rather fast writing...it's an everyday nib for me. I can't deal with nibs that are any larger.

Size wise, when posted, the mini is pretty good size, but I'd recommend a 580 as a first TWSBI. Or maybe the Vac 700, but I don't have experience with that model yet.
    http://katexic.com/clippings/
    Love interesting words? Curious links? Great writing? Subscribe to the free, thrice weekly Katexic Clippings newsletter!