Thread: Hand oil and skipping

Thanks

Default Hand oil and skipping

I've noticed that Stephen Brown uses some kind of small plastic sheet under his hand when he is writing in his videos. I've noticed that the lower half of many of my papers don't seem to handle ink as well as the top. I thought it was my pen angle, but now I think it might be oil or something from my skin getting onto the paper. Do any of you use some kind of shield when you write?
    http://katexic.com/clippings/
    Love interesting words? Curious links? Great writing? Subscribe to the free, thrice weekly Katexic Clippings newsletter!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to fncll For This Useful Post:

Saintpaulia (September 24th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 669 Posts

Default Re: Hand oil and skipping

Yes, I use another sheet of paper or the plastic pad I purchased from Nanami paper. It is especially an issue on my Zerkhall Butten, and the amalfi paper. Both suck up the skin oils and really just ruin a letter. The Triomphe isn't as bad but I take precautions anyway. Even Tomoe River can be adversely impacted by the friction of your hand sliding across repeatedly, never mind the oils.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tracy Lee For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (September 22nd, 2013)

Thanks

I used to use cheap cotton gloves with the thumb and first two fingers snipped off, for when I was using ink. It's less awkward than using a slipsheet, although it's probably going to do a better job of preventing accidental brushes from smearing ink than it will at protecting the paper from skin oil.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I use a sheet of blotting paper.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Bogon07 (September 22nd, 2013)

MisterBoll

I've noticed this on Fabriano pads but not at all on Leuchtturm notebooks.

Good idea about using the Nanami pads.

Thanks

I have a similar problem if I write anywhere that doesn't have aircon. Not so much with the ink and the paper, but with my hand sticking to the paper. My solution is to try to only write where there is aircon. I have tried a plastic pad, but that leaves my hand in a puddle of swet.
    Hello, my name is Nathan. Pleased to make your aquaintance.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    I use a sheet of blotting paper.
    Me too, I use a sheet of blotter paper.
    JBBPensPaper an Etsy store

Thanks

OK. I've been through this. Early on actually (meaning last year ). I used the same item as SBRE - a plastic sheet (I always try to do the same thing Stephen does ). Anyway, I noticed it the most on certain papers, such as Clairefontaine and Rhodia. Once I switched over to more textured papers, such as Crane and Cotton Mill, I did not have this problem. For notebooks & journaling I use M by Staples and no problem with that either except with very smooth nibs, such as my Diplomat Traveler. Still I do have dry hands and live in a cool climate.

Now, here's my immediate thought: 'I am fairly sure that our grandparents and parents did not have to do this when they used their fountain pens. But maybe I'm wrong. I just think that this would be considered very "fussy" and silly to them'. Whenever I run across such a problem I always take it back to early times and ask myself, "Why now?".
    Last edited by Saintpaulia; September 24th, 2013 at 10:57 AM.
    I'm discovering vintage pens. Oh no!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Saintpaulia View Post
    OK. I've been through this. Early on actually (meaning last year ). I used the same item as SBRE - a plastic sheet (I always try to do the same thing Stephen does ). Anyway, I noticed it the most on certain papers, such as Clairefontaine and Rhodia. Once I switched over to more textured papers, such as Crane and Cotton Mill, I did not have this problem. For notebooks & journaling I use M by Staples and no problem with that either except with very smooth nibs, such as my Diplomat Traveler. Still I do have dry hands and live in a cool climate.

Now, here's my immediate thought: 'I am fairly sure that our grandparents and parents did not have to do this when they used their fountain pens. But maybe I'm wrong. I just think that this would be considered very "fussy" and silly to them'. Whenever I run across such a problem I always take it back to early times and ask myself, "Why now?".
    Our grandparents probably did not have the super smooth papers we have.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post

Our grandparents probably did not have the super smooth papers we have.
    I am sure they didn't and yet they wrote so beautifully. This was back when handwriting was still taught in grammar school. One needs but look at the handwriting of people today who did not have this kind of education to see the results of that omission! My God! some of the sellers on Ebay and elsewhere who do writing samples of their pens' nibs have such childish handwriting that if I were them I wouldn't let the whole World know how poorly I write!
    I'm discovering vintage pens. Oh no!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Saintpaulia For This Useful Post:

KrazyIvan (September 24th, 2013)

Thanks

***I am sure they didn't and yet they wrote so beautifully. This was back when handwriting was still taught in grammar school. One needs but look at the handwriting of people today who did not have this kind of education to see the results of that omission! My God! some of the sellers on Ebay and elsewhere who do writing samples of their pens' nibs have such childish handwriting that if I were them I wouldn't let the whole World know how poorly I write!***

Whenever I write something down for a patron at the library invariably they comment on how beautiful my handwriting is. I assure you it's not that great, but I think at this point in time anyone who can write at all is an anomoly. I always ask my students if they were taught cursive in school and some look at me like a deer in headlights. Some say they were given a handout to see how it's supposed to look, and some say they did it twice in grade school. As I recall for the students at the school I attended it was thirty minutes a day, every day for two years...using the Reinhart Method, which I loathed ( anyone remember the capital 'Q' that looked like a '2' ? ). My mother and grandfather had taught me using Palmer Method. I wasn't crazy about that either, so I kind of came up with my own..very simple with no curleyques or embellishments. The fact that this impresses anyone makes me wonder if anyone will be writing with a pen in twenty years.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Ugh, yes. I hated the stupid capital Q (and quite a few other silly capitals). They've been jettisoned from my lexicon, not sure I can even remember how to do them anymore. :P

And I too get comments about how nice my handwriting is, which it really isn't, all perspective I suppose!
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks

I think a whole thread could be devoted to handwriting and the need to keep this skill in our school systems - I have seen references to studies where hand writing and math skills are linked. But I ramble.

Vote to keep penmanship as a required skill in elementary school

End of my rant.
    Cw

“Life is short, Break the Rules.
    Forgive quickly, Kiss SLOWLY.
    Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably
    And never regret ANYTHING
    That makes you smile.”
    ― Mark Twain

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cwent2 View Post
    Vote to keep penmanship as a required skill in elementary school
    It stills is, at least here in Holland. It's even better, in my son's school, the weapon of choice for the first 2 years is a Lamy ABC
    here men from the pennet earth
    first set nib on the moon
    we came in peace for all penknid

Thanks

Going back to the hand oil subject, I have been experiencing this problem as well, and it puzzled me for a while. Now I know what to do.

But skipping really isn't my problem (although it happens sometimes). What usually happens is that the ink doesn't get absorbed by the paper propperly, so it leaves a very strange and uneven shading, as if water had been thrown on it.

Thanks

I use fingerless gloves often. Both in writing and typing. I am sure some of my pen pals can tell when I forget.
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

gregamckinney

+1

Thanks
    Thanked 1,808 Times in 329 Posts

I just use a sheet of paper, usually one I've misspelled words on and had to start over

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 00Photo View Post
    I just use a sheet of paper, usually one I've misspelled words on and had to start over
    Yep, same here.
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu